Author Topic: Worcester Public Schools Hall of Fame at Union Station  (Read 6940 times)

Rob

• Just Moved Here
Worcester Public Schools Hall of Fame at Union Station
« on: May 01, 2007, 12:55:03 PM »
Eleven athletes and two coaches will be inducted into the first Worcester Public Schools Hall of Fame on May 12 at Union Station.

Athletic director John Pepi headed the selection committee. Dee Rowe will be featured speaker.

Hall of Famers include Ziggy Strzelecki, Andy Laska, Jim Kenary and Jim Butcher from before 1950; Eliott Nadeau, Vic Vezoulis, Tony Pignataro and Peter Backstrom from 1951-1975; Tony Jeffries, Cedric Ball and Nancy Mayer from 1976-1997; and coaches John Comer and John O’Neil. 

Strzelecki was a three-sport standout at Commerce High and played semipro basketball, coached and officiated. Laska averaged more than 20 points at North High, went on to star at Holy Cross, and later coached and was athletic director at Assumption College. Kenary played three sports at Classical High, and baseball and football at Harvard. Butcher was a basketball and football standout at South High and Boston University.

Nadeau was a three-sport standout at North High and later played pro baseball. Vezoulis captained two sports at North and played pro baseball. Pignataro had a fine baseball and football career at Boys Trade. Backstrom played three sports at South High and baseball at UMass.

Jeffries played basketball at Doherty High and Springfield College, where he was twice named All-American. Ball played basketball at South High, in college and professionally. Mayer was a Parade All-American in basketball at South High and had a fine career at the University of Virginia.

Comer and O’Neill coached their football teams to city titles, Comer at North High and O’Neil at South. This reporter will receive a special “Contribution to Sports Award,” for which I am thankful.

Along with Pepi, committee members included Dick Eid, Bill Gibbons Sr., Joe Lian, Fran Incutto, Steve O’Neil, Jim Butcher Jr., and Bruce Pinto. Tickets are $25. For information, call Pepi at (508) 799-3081

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070327/NEWS/703270433

Barb Knox

• Just Moved Here
Re: Worcester Public Schools Hall of Fame at Union Station
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 08:32:25 AM »
Wow!  Thanks for posting that and the link to the T&G.  What years did John O'Neill coach at South?  I think he was there when I was '60-'64.  Butch haircut, scary guy with a loud voice, as I recall.  "Mens Sana in Mens Corpore" in the Gym office. 

I'm amazed that column tracks athletes that are in their 90's now - what a great thing to do.

Barb