Author Topic: Lincoln Square Boys Club  (Read 28652 times)

Rob

• Just Moved Here
Lincoln Square Boys Club
« on: March 05, 2007, 04:44:54 AM »
What are your memories of Lincoln Square Boys Club?

Rob

• Just Moved Here
Re: Lincoln Square Boys Club -- Game Room
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 11:42:23 AM »
What games were available in the main Game Room? "Snaps" was popular. There was a shuffle board game played on a long table. What else?

pajkaki

• Just Moved Here
Re: Lincoln Square Boys Club
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 08:46:02 PM »
I was a member in the late 40's and early 50's.  I remember swimming in the pool, (naked of course).  Took music lessons on the second floor.  Of course played snaps in the game room.

Rob

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 08:12:13 AM »
Making gimp lanyards in craft room in basement.

Lightning

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 07:24:04 AM »
I remember going there to learn how to swim only! We lived in Grafton, but my dad took me there for lessons.The Boys Club had a contest for Father & son related to baseball. The father predicted the scores in future & the son wrote about their favorite player. I wrote about Stan Musial. We won first place that yr & my dad & I & other boy runner up got to go to a Red Sox game in box seats. Meet the players & get autographs!
Well, I got to meet Birdy Tebits (hairy arms) & Dom DiMaggio
(I think). I did not get to meet & get Ted Williams as promised as he had just broken his arm. This was likely 1948-50 period. I have news clipping somewhere at home.
Lightning

Mike Rucci

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 04:13:20 PM »
I remember the club Remember roger edmonds he use to say  swimming for esses aesses and bca,s Mr lahair was the swimming guy used to say your belly buttons showing, lol  dave edmonds  mr dean went every day

Rob

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 10:16:53 AM »
Wood shop in the basement. One or two boys per workbench. Locking tool crib with its back on the outside wall. Learned proper way to use and care for tools, especially NEVER lay down a wood plane with the blade facing down into the workbench. Power tools such as band saw, saw table, and lathe were for older boys only.

timcoyle50

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 05:57:02 PM »
How about the senior room on the 4th floor. 14 made you a senior back in the 60s Play pool or watch TV & you could smoke. And there were the Saturday afternoon movie in the same room you rollerskated in later.

The swimming instructor Dick LaHair.

Rob

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 12:04:54 PM »
A summer day camp program called "POPS" started in the 1960s and grew quickly in popularity. We spent half the day at Lincoln Square, half the day at Sunderland Road property, and brought our own brown bag lunches. The program ran in July but not in August because the Boys Club was closed in August.

jim28518

• Been Around Awhile
  • 1966 comet
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »
Remembering. Senior room on the 4th floorand, I was not being old enough, and the club had a  fine woodworking shop in the basement. Believe it cost something like 35 cents to do a project in late 1950's. I went once a week to complets the project, believe it was a wooden bread basket for MOM, or maybe a cutting board.

Bellatrees

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 05:16:02 AM »
My second home... I went there as a child at age of 11 , and ended up working there all threw High School..
I was the Arts n Crafts lady in the basement, (until boys trade took over) Also worked at the summer camp in sterling from...-1990-1994  :)
We Had a ball....and to this day im still living in the woods.....lol....Hi Paul and Jim....

Joshua

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 03:57:59 PM »
Oh Yah.  Good post!  Mid 60's between the ages of 8-11.  Every Saturday me and friends would get on a Worcester city bus from Great Brook Valley for 15 cents and spend the day there.  I remember the brown member cards you'd wear around your neck stamped with name and age.  I think there was also some kind of ceremony when you joined and recieved your first club card.  Swimming for s's, as's and bca's.  I can still hear that being announced.  That was a nice pool also.  No need for trunks either.  Spend a quarter at the snack bar and off to the game room where snaps and shuffleboard on these long tables that where sawdust covered along with ping pong or you could go to the second floor and see Godzilla movies on a huge screen.   We use to bring in model car kits and paint and glue them together on the 4th floor.  Then there was boxing in the basement along with the woodworking shop.   I went to a few Red Sox games with the boys club at Fenway. 
Also remember the gym with the indoor track above it.  alot horsing around in there.  I remember The Halloween and Christmas parties.      Yeah - Lincoln Square Boys Club.

timcoyle50

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 07:54:08 AM »
A summer day camp program called "POPS" started in the 1960s and grew quickly in popularity. We spent half the day at Lincoln Square, half the day at Sunderland Road property, and brought our own brown bag lunches. The program ran in July but not in August because the Boys Club was closed in August.

Yup did that POPS for two years. Went to the camp over night out in Sterling?? for a week in 1960 - or 61

Elroy

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 07:13:26 AM »
Remember the members cards? some type of brown, compressed material. I also went to the Boys Club Camp in Sterling. Mid 60's.

RobinPearson

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 03:51:49 PM »
Oh my goodness. Remember when the monument was on the rotary out front of the Boys Club. There was a half circle of stone, with a seat all the way along the half circle: open side toward the Auditorium. (They moved it a little ways away later, out behind the Boys Club, I think, after they changed the roads - after I moved away from Worcester).

Two people could sit at opposite ends of that half circle - and even with all the noise of the traffic driving around the rotary, the two of us could sit there at opposite ends of that half circle - and talk at a NORMAL level - not shouting or even raising our voices ... and we could hear each other all the way across that circle.

GO there and check it out. Something about the acoustics of the stone half circle carried the sound all the way around it, like a little amplifier.

Rob