Author Topic: Highland St  (Read 38418 times)

timcoyle50

• Just Moved Here
Re: Highland St
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 08:00:25 AM »
I remember Highland St. I went to Doherty and worked at Notis Pizza and when not in school or working spent all my time walking around the area with my friends. Ah 1969, that was a very good year.

My wife worked at the other Notis Pizza on Main St. Man the best meatball grinders!!

Prosperos Daughter

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 09:13:46 AM »
OMG! I worked at that one too sometimes when they were short-staffed. One of the brothers who owned it would give me a ride from one to the other since I definitely did not have a car. As I recall pretty much everything they made was very tasty and much better than anything I've had since from a pizza establishment. Ah the taste of nostalgia. I only worked there in 1969-1970 after school and weekends and Summer of course.

Paul P

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 11:14:29 AM »
What are your Highland St memories?

I remember the 5 and 10 store,  Hip Bone, Shakey Jakes, the old Boynton the club during the 70s Chicago now Sole Prop.

deacon

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 11:09:23 AM »
susan did you have huge pimples and a moustache,,,just wondering

RobinPearson

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 08:31:51 AM »
Listening to Roger Salloom at the Midheaven restaurant sing his ballard ,
"Got to get out of Worcester" on Blueberry records.. Roger would autograph his records
to those who wanted them. For a fee of course...
It was one of those restaurants where you were allowed to bring your own beer..
They were not licensed to sell. It later became the Acapulco.
Roger Salloom has a web site @ link below.

http://www.rogersalloom.com/press.html

I remember Roger from when Jon Webster and Dave Webster played backup for him ... they played the opening set before Jose Feliciano in concert at the Worcester Auditorium

~ Robin (Bob Loomer Jr, Newton Square)

RobinPearson

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 04:51:50 PM »
I will prolly get booted for this...but it's the truth
Timeline is like 69-70
There were 5 of us who used to deal mary jane (or?) just inside the Elm Park boundary at Highland and Russell.
We were there most every Sat./Sun. afternoon during the good weather.
Four fingers for $15.-
We had an apartment (the whole first floor really) that about 10 of us shared (male/female, most under age) on Lancaster.
There was a full sized Harley Sportster we kept in the front hall.
Guys would show up from the West Coast with suitcases full of whatever you wanted.
We used to go back and forth with the cops...but never got busted.
Except for the time we yelled obsenitys at them when they drove by....that didn't go over well.
Everyone we knew at that time was using...Everyone!
Most of the parents had no clue, and really that's not the half of it.
It was the Worcester counter-culture of the time that most just had no intrest in acknowledging.

theblackprince

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 11:14:26 AM »
I remember Friendly's, Shaky Jakes where I bought most of my clothes, the House of India for incense and stuff, The Midheaven for Mexican food which was excellent (replaced by the Acapulco which absolutely sucked), the Garden of Delight which was another wonderful restaurant run by "Princess" and served by "Tinker" who had little bells all over hisblack  clothing which he never seemed to change) and it was the place to go to score reefer. Oh how I loved the 60's and 70's.

Georgy Girl

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 06:10:12 PM »
I attended Becker Junior College from 1968 - 1970.  Lived in Cedar Hall on Fruit Street.  Used to go to Theo's Restaurant all of the time.  The owner, Steve, was so kind and nice.  He bought the neighboring supermarket "Pennywise" and renamed it "Andon" for his two sons.  I believe Theo's Restaurant is now a Subway.  There was also a "Paraphernalia" boutique on the same side of the street.  A real 60's boutique.  Farther down the street (same side) was Friendly's Restaurant.  And of course, the infamous Boynton which is still there.  Who would have thought that?  Used to go to parties at W.P.I. - Sigma Phi Epsilon in particular.  Aaah, I miss the 60's - I miss those days!  Oh yeah, Notis Pizza too.  Oddly enough, I went back to visit in 1983 and Notis was closing that very weekend.  How strange - talk about timing.