Author Topic: Highland St  (Read 38416 times)

Rob

• Just Moved Here
Highland St
« on: March 01, 2007, 04:43:38 AM »
What are your Highland St memories?

Rob

• Just Moved Here
Re: Highland St
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 04:43:59 AM »
Slot car racing track on Highland St at West St (1960s).

oldtimer

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 09:39:39 AM »
Clothing store called ' MOON ' , cruisin from the court house to elm park , stopping along the way for a ' herb break ' , and most of all just having fun without a care in the world...

Neil_H_Donahue

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 05:49:53 AM »
Listening to Roger Salloom at the Midheaven restaurant sing his ballard ,
"Got to get out of Worcester" on Blueberry records.. Roger would autograph his records
to those who wanted them. For a fee of course...
It was one of those restaurants where you were allowed to bring your own beer..
They were not licensed to sell. It later became the Acapulco.
Roger Salloom has a web site @ link below.

http://www.rogersalloom.com/press.html

woostahgirlatheart

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 01:40:02 PM »
Is Shakey Jakes still there?

Rob

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 12:02:41 PM »
Friendly's -- I liked their "Awful Awful" shake.

foolsfids

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 07:19:56 AM »

In the early to mid eighties the Sole parking lot would have a huge block party. Every kid in the area would ride their bike over too watch the bands play. They had games for the kids. Tech pizza playing Pac-Man. Day\Night store where  store 24 in now they had about 10 video games in the game room. Penny candy at the 5 and dime every morning before school. What about the West street spa for an ice cream or frappe? Long lines at Acapulco until wee hours in the morning.

jim sadowski

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 06:05:14 AM »
Highland Street from Newton Square to Lincoln Square.
A walk down memory lane starting at Newton Square the building of tennis courts at Newton Square probably in late 1950's. Remember Newton Hill without a High school, was a small pond at that location, tailor shop at Sever st., Berkshire st to Fruit st strip of stores Theo's lunch, bakery, Jay's 5 &10, A & P, dress shop. Corner of Fruit had Tech Pharmacy, old wooden church. A store or two which I can't picture now, then Boynton package store and tavern at corner of Ormond st, barber shop and cobbler before getting to North Ashland st, Friendlies wasn't there in the mid 1950's. Salisbury mansion at corner of Lancaster st, school for the blind at corner of Harvard st along with Little theater, auditorium and court house.

Roger (Hunt) Frost

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 01:58:04 PM »
Does anyone remember the first Friendly Ice Cream sandwich shoppe on Highland and North Ashland Street in 1965 or 1963?

jim28518

• Been Around Awhile
  • 1966 comet
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 07:19:55 PM »
Does anyone remember the first Friendly Ice Cream sandwich shoppe on Highland and North Ashland Street in 1965 or 1963?

Remember it being built on Highland street with the ability to sit down with the family (more than a diner) also had the "awful-aful" about 35 cents. Had a great burger also. Half the place was diner style with counter and stools other half more for a family with booths and tables.

jim28518

• Been Around Awhile
  • 1966 comet
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 07:58:06 PM »
Best I remember. BUS 21 Highland-Tatnick. Sometimes bus 29 Highland-Pleasant st. as best I remember. About 25 cents in the 50's early 60's.
Busses ran about every half hour. Kids under 12 free.
We are now living what will become "the good old days", take a picture, take a walk, make a comment or tell a story.

Deerhawk

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 05:17:04 PM »
I will prolly get booted for this...but it's the truth
Timeline is like 69-70
There were 5 of us who used to deal mary jane (or?) just inside the Elm Park boundary at Highland and Russell.
We were there most every Sat./Sun. afternoon during the good weather.
Four fingers for $15.-
We had an apartment (the whole first floor really) that about 10 of us shared (male/female, most under age) on Lancaster.
There was a full sized Harley Sportster we kept in the front hall.
Guys would show up from the West Coast with suitcases full of whatever you wanted.
We used to go back and forth with the cops...but never got busted.
Except for the time we yelled obsenitys at them when they drove by....that didn't go over well.
Everyone we knew at that time was using...Everyone!
Most of the parents had no clue, and really that's not the half of it.
It was the Worcester counter-culture of the time that most just had no intrest in acknowledging.
No Borders...No Compromise!

susan

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 02:55:25 AM »
I have many. As a child we went to Friendly's a lot. We had Big Beefs and AwfulAwfuls. One day, when I was about 13, I was sitting with my Dad in the Highland St. Friendlys and a boy of about 14 or 15 was sitting across from us with his mother. I overheard the boy saying to his mother, and talking about me, "Mom, look at that girl. Isn't she beautiful?" Whomever that boy was, he has no idea how what he said that day affected me forever. Through my whole life, when I was feeling unattractive, I remembered what he said and it made me feel better.
Later, in the late 60's, I dated a WPI boy and we ate at a restaurant named Theo's a lot.

Prosperos Daughter

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 04:55:22 PM »
I remember Highland St. I went to Doherty and worked at Notis Pizza and when not in school or working spent all my time walking around the area with my friends. Ah 1969, that was a very good year.

Deerhawk

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 05:53:23 PM »
Notis Pizza!....gaud, take me back!
No Borders...No Compromise!