Author Topic: East Kendall Street School  (Read 26616 times)

DnlJmsGrnfrs

• Just Moved Here
East Kendall Street School
« on: September 20, 2006, 04:17:46 PM »
Does anyone remember East Kendall Street School? I've scoured GradFinder and a few other sites to try to locate other "ghosts" to talk with, but I have met with little success. Let me date myself. I was Danny (now Dan, of course) Granfors, and I lived on Belmont Hill (Rodney Street and Eastern Ave ) from 1956 until 1972. Went to East Kendall Street (remember teacher Roger Brown?) then Harrington Way Jr. High (brand new school) and then North High. I would love to chat with anyone who remembers Vessio's Market, Hillside Spa, Ogasians Market, or the quarry at Green Hill Park before it became land-filled. My Lord the list is endless: Squirrell Nut Caramels, Polar Birch Beer, the Somerset Cafe (my dad drank there) or the Valhalla (my aunt Betty worked there) at the foot of Belmont Street on Lincoln Square. Do you remember how tenants would string Christmas lights on the front porches of three-deckers or the Memorial Day parade down Main Street that would end at the Lincoln Square Rotary? How about the bison at Green Hill Park or the Italian fellows who would play boccie at the duck pond. What about those glorious Italian grinders that they seved at P&T Pizza on Lincoln Street or those hard leather Boy's Club tickets that one wore around his ankle when he swam naked in the club pool. I am sure that most of these things and places only exist in a finite number of minds now, and that number is growing more finite every year. I only just realized that this thread is for former residents, so let me put some names out there: Bobby Turcotte, Donald Casson, Tommy Carr, Larry Gustafson, Mary Dooley, Susan Sevideo, Marie Brussia, Pamela Houle, Donald DeSalvio, Robert Pascarelli, Todd Koppula, and Jimmy Nozzilillo. Please forgive me if I've murdered any of your your names.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 04:26:58 PM by DnlJmsGrnfs »

jack mc carthy

Re: East Kendall Street School
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 05:03:05 PM »
Does anyone remember East Kendall Street School? I've scoured GradFinder and a few other sites to try to locate other "ghosts" to talk with, but I have met with little success. Let me date myself. I was Danny (now Dan, of course) Granfors, and I lived on Belmont Hill (Rodney Street and Eastern Ave ) from 1956 until 1972. Went to East Kendall Street (remember teacher Roger Brown?) then Harrington Way Jr. High (brand new school) and then North High. I would love to chat with anyone who remembers Vessio's Market, Hillside Spa, Ogasians Market, or the quarry at Green Hill Park before it became land-filled. My Lord the list is endless: Squirrell Nut Caramels, Polar Birch Beer, the Somerset Cafe (my dad drank there) or the Valhalla (my aunt Betty worked there) at the foot of Belmont Street on Lincoln Square. Do you remember how tenants would string Christmas lights on the front porches of three-deckers or the Memorial Day parade down Main Street that would end at the Lincoln Square Rotary? How about the bison at Green Hill Park or the Italian fellows who would play boccie at the duck pond. What about those glorious Italian grinders that they seved at P&T Pizza on Lincoln Street or those hard leather Boy's Club tickets that one wore around his ankle when he swam naked in the club pool. I am sure that most of these things and places only exist in a finite number of minds now, and that number is growing more finite every year. I only just realized that this thread is for former residents, so let me put some names out there: Bobby Turcotte, Donald Casson, Tommy Carr, Larry Gustafson, Mary Dooley, Susan Sevideo, Marie Brussia, Pamela Houle, Donald DeSalvio, Robert Pascarelli, Todd Koppula, and Jimmy Nozzilillo. Please forgive me if I've murdered any of your your names.

jack mccarthy

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 12:27:16 PM »
i went to east kendall st school and got by the 8th grade teacher miss powell,i went to st john's for a year(time wasted)52.went to commerce in 53,would have got out in 57. i quit right after football season in 54 and went into the navy.i guess you could say i was not the book type. my name is jack mccarthy i lived on rodney st,2nd to last house on the left at the entrance to green hill park (112 rodney st).brother Kevin sister Maureen,still in the area. i was in the navy for 4 yrs,the army for 22 yrs i'am retired in texas w/my wfe of 47 yrs and 5 children and 11 grand children and finally 1 great grand child. i don't know if anyone remembers me,but if so e-mail me,i'll respond.

JILL

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 07:16:25 AM »
I also went to Kendall Street School. I was the last grade to leave there in 2nd grade in go the the new Belmont Street Community School. I lived on Everard and Breck St( going into Green Hill Park) from 1963-1983.  Last name was Salvatore, Lisa, Mark & Jill than Tony came along LOL.  I also remember Roger Brown.  What a great guy. Had great memories of Everd Street. We also had a CB radio. Handles were Eight Ball, Silver Star and of course our parents The Sneakers.

Mike rucci

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 04:24:31 PM »
Yeah I remember those stores  you forgot Johnnys how bout the penny candy store at the bottom of belmont st next to albinos, remember mr larivy principal, Mrs silvia,Mr macdonald who tore phone books in half, mr brown pulled ur ears if you were bad  what about that rat hand lol were u ever a patrol leader lol

Mike rucci

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 03:53:40 PM »
I also went to Kendall Street School. I was the last grade to leave there in 2nd grade in go the the new Belmont Street Community School. I lived on Everard and Breck St( going into Green Hill Park) from 1963-1983.  Last name was Salvatore, Lisa, Mark & Jill than Tony came along LOL.  I also remember Roger Brown.  What a great guy. Had great memories of Everd Street. We also had a CB radio. Handles were Eight Ball, Silver Star and of course our parents The Sneakers.
I remember your family We lived at 43 everade st near the depasquales I threw a rock ar ur brother mark and hit him in the head  and cut him open lol 

Paul Simkonis

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 10:13:17 AM »
I went to East Kendall Street School.  Do you have a brother name William Granfors.  If so he was one of my friends back then.  We also new Charlie Shanagan.  I lived on Stanton St across from Belmont Pond.  I live in Fl now and spent 30 years in the Marine Corps.  I went to Commerce High and then went to North High where I graduated.

mauro

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 04:59:49 PM »
We had great teachers at East Kendall. Great summers at Bell Pond during the 60's summers. There are a lot of kids from the area still around. Nick DeBenedetto, Denise and Donna Bernia, Joe Dooley, Joe Rucci, Paul Savastano, the Servideo's, the DePasquale's, Bob Pascarelli, Butch Missilo, Dick and Cliff LaPan, Skippy Gleason, Clemente Grossi, Nick Ventresca,  George Deagle, Dan Belevieu. It would be so great to have a big reunion someday.

B

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 07:12:01 PM »
 I remember East Kendall well. We were one of the only African American families in the neighborhood. I rember the Carr's, Saskas, Houles. I bet you can't guess who I am.

b

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 07:14:44 PM »
i went to east kendall st school and got by the 8th grade teacher miss powell,i went to st john's for a year(time wasted)52.went to commerce in 53,would have got out in 57. i quit right after football season in 54 and went into the navy.i guess you could say i was not the book type. my name is jack mccarthy i lived on rodney st,2nd to last house on the left at the entrance to green hill park (112 rodney st).brother Kevin sister Maureen,still in the area. i was in the navy for 4 yrs,the army for 22 yrs i'am retired in texas w/my wfe of 47 yrs and 5 children and 11 grand children and finally 1 great grand child. i don't know if anyone remembers me,but if so e-mail me,i'll respond.

I remember the McCarthy's. Did you live next to Kevin Magahey/

,mike rucci

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 03:09:22 PM »
I am taking a guess  how about the hamptons
 I remember East Kendall well. We were one of the only African American families in the neighborhood. I rember the Carr's, Saskas, Houles. I bet you can't guess who I am.

Blake

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 10:37:56 PM »
Good guess, Mike, how's things?

Mike Rucci

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 09:32:31 AM »
Good guess, Mike, how's things?
  Wow blake whats going on you still in worcester I moved to conn but moving back to worcester soon ,how is everyone hows pinky, whole neighborhood changed, nice to hear from you use my email  if you like   ndeepcrp@aol.com      Mike

Blake

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 08:45:59 PM »
Hey Mike,

Living in Phoenix been here 2 yrs now. How's the family? Was back in September took a ride to the old neighborhood looks like hell up there. MY brother Pinky is living in Berkley,CA not much change with him same old thing but he's trying. Hey tell you sister Diane (Linda Borg) says hi. Well thats it for now feel free to drop me a line, my e-mail is:  Take care talk to you soon.  Blake

Mike Rucci

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 06:27:46 AM »
Hey Mike,

Living in Phoenix been here 2 yrs now. How's the family? Was back in September took a ride to the old neighborhood looks like hell up there. MY brother Pinky is living in Berkley,CA not much change with him same old thing but he's trying. Hey tell you sister Diane (Linda Borg) says hi. Well thats it for now feel free to drop me a line, my e-mail is:  Take care talk to you soon.  Blake
Wow Phoenix long way from the neighborhood family is fine Yes the old neigfhborhood is looking mighty scarce pinky in ca wow I will tell diane too You didnt leave ur email  but heres mine   ndeepcrp@aol.com  see blake take care  Mike