Author Topic: Michael & Ann Young Dublin to Worc.area  (Read 7816 times)

worcmik

• Townie
Michael & Ann Young Dublin to Worc.area
« on: August 04, 2006, 07:05:33 PM »
This may help BVIrish et al.
  Fr. Gibson recorded the Feb. 21 1846 marriage of Michael Glispen and Elizabeth Young. Lent started a few days later. Witnesses were Christopher Kelly and Mary Ann Young. This Mary Ann Young seems to be in Hodges Village (Oxford MA) in 1852. Mike had witnessed (as did Mary Phalan) the marriage of John Phalan and Elizabeth Reily in 1844. This and census connect Glispen to Leicester.
   Mike Glispen bought a plot in the new cemetery (St. John's) on the day they were first offered ("Plottery" is my word for it.): September 19 1847. Owen Murphy says that the purchase of the eight+ acres of land that would be consicrated in 1850 as St. John's Cemetery happened on May 13th 1848. Is this when the deed was filed? So it seems that the plottery was held to raise the money. The game of chance was to see who gets to pick their spot first, second, etc. Anyway, The cemetery says the first burial was Nick Mooney on June 11, 1848. This is only a month after the purchase, but the deal could have been  made  earlier, and the preperation of the land coulld have already begun by the time the deed was recorded?
    So where did Mike Glispen bury his bride of two years; Elizabeth, in March of 1848. Was his plot at St. John's was just a promise when he needed it. Did she go to Tatnuck until 1907, then to a mass grave? There are worse people to be buried with, and worse places to be, but I have to believe that Mike made sure she was laid to rest in that little piece of land they bought together  on Sept. 19th 1847. She is listed on the gravestone that stands on their plot.
        From John McGinn's transcription of O"Flynn's St. John's epitaphs:

"Glispen. Eliza W. Wife of Michael Glispen & daughter of Michael and Ann Young of Dublin died March 16, 1848, aged 25 years
Suddenly seized by the cold hand of death
In a few hours I resigned my last Breath
My life with that of my babe I resigned
Which left my poor husband distracted in Mind
Physicians attended and tried their best skills
But all Must Submit to the Lord's holy will.
May they rest in peace. Amen."
Yea they are together in Sec. G.
john

worcmik

• Townie
Re: Michael & Ann Young Dublin to Worc.area
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 05:58:38 PM »
The other Young ladies'round here, back then:
Mary  Young became Mrs. Michael Haggerty back on Oct. 18 1840, so she isn't the Mary Ann "from" Hodges Villiage in 1852.
Julia Young married John Degan on May 9 1846, just a few months after Eliza married Glispen (Gallispin). John Devine and Ann Drenongan (?).
Before she married, Julia Young (and William McNamara) witnessed the marriage: Bernard McGauley and Elizabeth Shields, Feb. 1 1845

glispens

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:06:15 PM »
This note follows several years later so I hope those who were initially interested will read this and possibly others who might have some knowledge to share ....?

After Elizabeth died in 1848 Michael married again in 1849 to Mary Hogan (b 1830 in England) and she died in 1881. With all their children married by now Michael married again - this 3rd  time in 1883  to Catherine Sullivan Keignon(sic) (should be Keenan, I think) on Rhode Island.
According to Dr Mary Jane Drogan's rare book on the Glispin ancestry (of Patrick and Catherine) there is a notation on the main pedigree page that 'Michael and family may have been lost on a sea voyage' I cannot locate any death notice for either of them in the vital records .....  and no births also.
Can anyone throw any light on the thinking that they perished at sea? I know there are many shipwrecks around the Massachusetts coast - the main passenger vessels of the 1880-1900 period (City of Columbus and Portland) do not show their names amongst the victims of the disasters.
Any thoughts....?
Thank you.
James
Queensland

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 06:37:53 PM »
James, Belated Welcome.
I have been busy and haven't checked the site in some time. Sorry I don't have any ideas on finding Michael and family. I found him when searching for the names of the people buried at the tatnuck cemetery, I will keep an eye out for him.