Author Topic: Gage Street School  (Read 8470 times)

AlBellrose

• Just Moved Here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Gage Street School
« on: April 22, 2004, 10:49:24 AM »
To begin with, I was born on January 13, 1936 in City Hospital. My early years were spent at an orphanage (St. Joseph's?) in Worcester and later at a foster home (the Paquette? family). This was a result of my parents splitting up. My most almost clear memory is living on Henry Street for a several years and going to Gage St. school. For the most part, this part of Worcester was Italian and many of my friends were Yankee fans (DiMaggio you know). Me, I loved Ted Williams and was, and still am a devoted Red Sox fan. I left Worcester in 1951 when I was 15 and joined the US Army. Well, they caught up with me and 30 days later I was a civilian again only living in New Jersey this time. I went back in the Army again when I was 20 (first spending 2 years with the NJANG). Two tours in Vietnam ('65 and '68).  I left Gage St. in the 8th grade but managed to get a HS GED while in the Army and a AS in QA after I got out. Then I went to work for the Navy at the Naval Air Station, North Island (Coronado/San Diego), CA. My best, or rather my most positive experience in Worcester (there were many) was attending a class taught by a Mr. Sullivan (USMC WWII). I really respected that man. What ever became of Barney on Lyon? Remember the "Danger Box" on Henry Street? We used to play baseball in that vacant lot.
Worcester's a nice place, but I'll take San Diego. Thank you! ;)

Al Bellrose

Re: Gage Street School
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 04:57:31 AM »
You know, something I have kept buried inside me for some 37 years is just burning to come out.  I read about the grieving dad who torched himself inside the USMC van when a team of NCOs came to inform him his son got killed in Iraq. In an interview with one of the Marines, he said that they are trained to handle 98% of these instances. WHAT? 98%!!!!!!!!
When I was between tours in Vietnam in 1967 (BoSox lose yet another 7th game), assigned as a US Army Reserve adviser, they (the powers) selected four of us NCOs to the dreadful task of knocking on doors or ringing door bells to inform mother, fathers, wifes, etc., that their loved one had been killed in Vietnam. Shit, we were not "trained" for this duty. How does one become an expert in this sort of thing anyway?
I went on 10 or 12 of these trips ALONE during my stay at the USAR Center. Our CO was so thankful for our unpleasant task, that he gave us a half day off after each event (big deal).

AlBellrose

• Just Moved Here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 01:41:33 AM »
       GO RED SOX!!!!!!!!   :D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 01:46:01 AM by AlBellrose »

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 09:17:11 AM »
Hi! I attended Gage St School for 1 year (first grade) and I remember not liking it AT ALL! I was born in  1952   so of course I don't know you, just wanted to mention that I went there. Good luck finding old friends.
Diane Bellione

Frankie

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 02:04:00 PM »
I attended Gage Street School in the 60's when Mr. M'Grath was principal. Will always remeber the little candy stores that were there and Mr Wilson.

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 05:41:00 PM »
Hi Frankie, I think I was in the 3rd grade at Gage St. I don't quite remember because I only attended for a very short time. I lived at the corner house. I remember NOT getting a nice welcome my first day there. I was not a happy camper. Anyway I ended up at Elizabeth St School.