Author Topic: Info on Constable Jeremiah Kane & Mary Boland  (Read 34930 times)

bvirish

• Just Moved Here
Info on Constable Jeremiah Kane & Mary Boland
« on: May 16, 2006, 03:50:23 PM »
I am looking for any information on Jeremiah Kane who was one of the first Irish constables in the city of Worcester. It appears that he served as a constable from about 1847 until his death in 1867. With the exception of 1855 when he was out of a job probably due to the Know-Nothing controlled city government.

He was married to Mary Boland (I believe no relation to Tobias B.) on Jan. 14, 1847 at St. John's.

The death cert. states he is buried in St. John's Cemetery, but they do not have any record of him.
I have been systematically checking every Kane headstone without much luck.

Additionally, I cannot find anything on Mary (Boland) Kane either. She disappears from the city directory about 1870.

Any information or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Where can I find the "O'Flynn Papers" I see mentioned? WPL?

Please excuse my ignorance regarding Worcester Irish history/genealogy, I am new to the forum.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Info on Constable Jeremiah Kane & Mary Boland
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 02:16:01 AM »
I have notes from O'Flynn   Jeremiah Kane Dungarven County Waterford born 15 Aug 1833 came into Boston   Best worcester detective.  Lived on Temple St.  There also seems to be a Patrick & Thomas & Margaret Kane who may be J's siblings from Abbeyside, Dungarven co. Waterford in the Boston Pilot  (might also be Co. Tipperary?)  I am more confident that it is co. waterford.  O'flynns papers sre amazing and are at holy cross college library in special collections.  Did you already know this?

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 04:18:58 AM »
I think Mary may have been related to Tobias Boland.  In the 1870 census shows tobias Boand with a Mary King 37 and Mary Kane 14 in the household who are not listed as servants.  King may be a married name or a mistaken transcription of Kane.  Son Henry appears to be in Westboro at the state reform school.  Please feel free to email me    mer330@hotmail.com         merski

bvirish

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 04:15:18 PM »
merski,

Thank you so much for this information. This is tremendously helpful!

The Jeremiah you describe must be the same person. He would have lived at #12 Temple street. Ironically he would have lived very close to TB's house at #4 Green street.
The only thing that doesn't jive is the D.O.B. I have information that would put his DOB around 1822 per the 1860 census or 1811 per the death certificate. Not sure which one is right.

After I read Nutt's Biography (volume 3) on Tobias I was pretty certain that Mary was not related to him.
Per the biography he had 10 children, and from what I can see none of them were named Mary. Could it be that she is the daughter of his oldest son John Boland? I am not sure the math works for this theory.

I guess this means I am most likely related to TB. I hope you don't hold this against me.
For the record, I am a Kane not a Boland....

Can anyone access the O'Flynn papers or do you need special permission?

Thanks again for your help!

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 04:48:48 PM »
bvirish,
 Welcome. I think we have a bit of infomation, Merski's already got us started. But I think the transcription error won't pan out The Mary King isn't the right age (she'd have been 14 yrs at her 1847 marriage. Jeremiah Kane was 34 yrs old in 1847. Not impossipal, but unlikely, even if we consider the 1870 age came from a census. A family or two of Chatholic Kings are around at that time, in Millbury. With a little looking we may find that Mary King and Mary Kane were people distinct from your Mary Boland Kane. Not that there isn't a chance that they are all kin.  
For now let's look at:

Jan. 14 1847 Jeremiah Kane marries Mary Boland Fr. Tucker officiated. Charles Calligan and Mary Elizabeth Boland witnessed.

Fr. Tucker?  Sometimes Jesuits would perform sacrements and record them at St. John's. was he from Holy Cross?  If It helps, Only Fr. Tucker married people (four couples) from Jan 12th to Jan 22 1847, maby Tucker was filling in. He did not register many marriages at St. John's anyway
We also know that there are two Mary Bolands that know each other.
The witness may have been a sister-in -law or she may be the Mary Boland that married James Rourke on or about July 16, 1848, Fr. Boyce. Michael and Margret Kenny witnessed. (at least one Kenny family is in Spencer at about this time)(She may be a sister in law that was widowed after the Boland/Kane marriage.)
There is also this:

Jeremiah Cain, Worcester. NAt. 2 Dec. 1844. Born Dungarvair (sic) Co. Waterford Ireland. 15 Aug. 1813. Age 31. Arrived: Boston, 15 Nov. 1833 Int. Dec. 1842, Worcester. Residence: Worcester last 9 years; previously Boston. Witnesses: Samuel Graves, Jr., Nahum Gates.

There are also :
Patrick Boland to Margret Sullivan on Aug. 3, 1847 Fr. Gibson witn: Michael and Mary Fullerton.  
and
Patrick Boland to Catherine Hall on Nov. 11, 1848   Fr. Gibson witn: Cornelius Fogerty and Catherine Coffee
They are in the Leicester 1855 Irish only census
and
Patrick Kane to Elizabeth Gordon on May 9, 1847 Fr Gibson in Clintonville  Witn: Michael O'M??? and Winifred Sweeney (Winifred Sweeney married John Golden on June 11, 1847 witn: John McGrail and Bridget Grady)
and
 Martin Kane to Mary Burgin on Sept. 2, 1847 Fr Gibson  Witn: Patrick Doyal and Mary Harden They seem to be in Worc census 1850 according to that their ages at marriage would have been 32 and 33 respectively.
and
Lawrence Ryan to Bridget Kane on Feb. 19, 1848 Fr. Gibson witn: Ed Sheehey and Mary Kane.  This marriage was not reported to the City of Worcester.

and
two other possible Kane males but there are other possible last names for these two, as well as a few Kane females that didn't have interesting witnesses were in Framingham or in Ct.
So, with that and any info we can get from the history of the police in Worc. may be a good start.   The history of the Worc Police is at Worc. Public Lib. and is an interesting read.

John

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 05:00:26 PM »
bvirish,
Never trust a spelling anywhere, an age in a census, and anyone named Nutt.
We would not hold any Tobey connection against you. I love the moniker you have given him, they called it consumption back then.
You don't need to be anyone special to access the O'Flynn papers, for now. But call first. Check out the website, even email the conservitor. Oh, and be gentle with them once your there. Take lots of notes (in pencil) to reduce the need to re-access any one folio. Good hunting. John

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 03:01:29 AM »
I agree that Mary King is not the widow of Jeremiah Kane as she is living in Tobias's Charlestown household in the 1860 census, but I think that maybe the Mary Kane in the household in 1870 may be the daughter of Jeremiah & mary...that age fits well.  Perhaps Mary, her mother, died as well.   I did a look up in Nutt's history and it said that Tobias had a daughter Minnie (a charming variation of the name Mary) who never married.   So Jeremiah is the son of Patrick & Ellen, from his death record.  Do you know Ellen's maiden name?  I have a friend in county Waterford who can find out if there is a parish or townland called Abbeyside Dungarven Waterford.  I'm thinking if the Patrick and Thomas & margaret living in Worcester at the time of the Boston pilot ads are siblings that it may just be a sibling group.  Proceed with caution, as worcmik advises.  You have some excellent sources to check out!

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 05:13:46 AM »
Here's my two cents, hope I don't confuse further.
1860 Worcester census
Kane, Jeremiah 1822, mary 1832, ellen m. 1849, George B 1852, Mary E 1856, Henry J 1859
1870 Worcester, Ward 4
Kane, Mary 1830, Henry 1860, Mary 1857, George 1852

1870 Worcester, Ward 6
Moran, Peter 1848, Ellen 1849, Lizzie b. July
(Worcester 1868, Peter Moran m. Ellen Marie Kane)

1880 Worcester (Temple Street)
Moran, Peter, Ellen, Lizzie, etc.
Kane, Mary 1828 mother, Mary 1857 sister, George 1860 brother

Possible 1900 Worcester Ward 3
Kane Mary 1825 mother 5 children 2 living
Kane Mary b. Nov 1863 (yes this is not the same as her birth record)

Moran, Ellen (Kane) d. 1883 no image
Kane, George B d. 1906 no image
Kane, Henry J d. 1881 20 years Jeremiah & Mary Boland

There is a Mary B. Kane who dies in 1906 or 1907 in Worcester.  I believe this might be your girl.  Trying looking under the name Moran in the cemetery.

Cheryl

traveler

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 05:19:11 AM »
I agree that Mary King is not the widow of Jeremiah Kane as she is living in Tobias's Charlestown household in the 1860 census, but I think that maybe the Mary Kane in the household in 1870 may be the daughter of Jeremiah & mary...that age fits well.  Perhaps Mary, her mother, died as well.   I did a look up in Nutt's history and it said that Tobias had a daughter Minnie (a charming variation of the name Mary) who never married.   So Jeremiah is the son of Patrick & Ellen, from his death record.  Do you know Ellen's maiden name?  I have a friend in county Waterford who can find out if there is a parish or townland called Abbeyside Dungarven Waterford.  I'm thinking if the Patrick and Thomas & margaret living in Worcester at the time of the Boston pilot ads are siblings that it may just be a sibling group.  Proceed with caution, as worcmik advises.  You have some excellent sources to check out!
We stayed in Dungarven when we went to Ireland and Abbyside is a section of the city/town. Do you know the Waterford County Library has a website on which you can look up deaths 1864 to 1901? The URL is waterfordcountylibrary.ie

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 06:14:03 AM »
One more tidbit:
George B. Kane d. November 2, 1906 according to the street directory

Mary E. Kane lives with Margaret Moran (niece) in the 1910 census.

bvirish

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 04:36:18 PM »
Thank you to everyone that replied to my request. There is a ton of great information here.The information on Ellen and Henry is particularly useful since I was at a dead end with them. I have a fair amount on George B. since he is my great, great grandfather. I also have some information on Mary Elizabeth Kane (Mary & Jeremiah's daughter).The information on Mary and Jeremiah is great too. This is good stuff and will keep me busy for the summer.

I checked out Mary B. Kane at St.John's several months ago, but dismissed it because there was no Jeremiah Kane listed on the headstone. Additionally, the family name on the stone was I think O'Neil. I should double check it though.

Just as a point of reference, Mary E. Kane is buried in a large plot that lists Mrs. Jeremiah Kane as the owner.
The plot appears to have been purchased around 1881. It lists Mrs. Jeremiah Kane's address as 319 West 25th street, New York City. She (Mary the mother) is not buried there.

Thanks again for all of your assistance. I need to sort through all this information and see if I can connect the dots. I will keep you posted.

BVIrish

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 04:32:17 AM »
When you've come up with results, we'd love to hear them as I'm already confused by all the data you've had given to you. Consider yourself to be lucky to have Boland blood in you from Mary.  No family line is all bad or all good and the matrilineal line is very important and underresearched in my opinion.  Try st. John's cemetery listings under Keane and other variations of the name Kane to find Jeremiah's burial.  Also there may be something written up about Jeremiah as he was the first irish born constable when he died.  The WPL has family files that you can look through...clippings of obituaries, newspaper stories etc.  I have found there to be quite useful.  Hope you can get to the Library and Holy Cross College.   Good travels!

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 04:59:35 AM »
I cut 'n pasted this from on of my replys in the "Tatnuck Cemetery" post:
"...many interments at St. John's Cemetery were not recorded, or the records of them were lost. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why the existing records include some and not others..."
I still don't know why some people don't appear on the old "plot-cards."
Do we know when was the 1st time the family needed a plot? That may give you an approx. date of purchase. That would have been helpful if St. John's Cemetery had entered the "Date of Purchase" info into the database when they computerized their records. It could help still, if the personnel check the old cards for a date of purchase for each of the suspected plots.
If Jeremiah and Mary Kane lost a child that was born between Ellen and Geo. B, or he and Mary E. or later, (there are gaps  enough between any of them to have lost a little one) than the Kanes would have owned a plot long before their deaths. If they were spared that all to common event than what is the earliest they needed a plot?    Just some thoughts on the matter, John

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 06:35:26 AM »
I agree with John on the death of a child could be a clue.  Mary does state she had 5 children with 2 living; Ellen Marie, George B, Henry J, Mary E are all I could find.  Shouldn't there be a Patrick born before George and Henry?
Besides the family name of Moran (Peter F husband of Ellen Kane), Elizabeth Moran married Michael E. Mulvehill.  Mary (the widow) seemed to always live with or close to Peter F. Moran her son-in-law. 
Cheryl

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 05:06:27 AM »
If it turns out that Jeremiah was related to John & Margaret Kane from the Boston Pilot messages who state they are from Ballyguiry, here is a little tidbit.  By the way, in 1869 Margaret Kane is living with John & wife Bridget whose first son is Patrick and there is a John Kane who marries for the second time in 1862 and states his parents are Patrick & Ellen.

This is dated Feb. 26, 2004

Late Patrick Joseph (Paddy Joe) Keane

I t is with deep regret that we record the death of Patrick Joseph (Paddy Joe) Keane, Ballyguiry, Dungarvan which took place on Monday of last week.

Paddy Joe was a quiet and unassuming man, a lovely human being with a most personable and friendly attitude to life generally. He was deservedly popular with everyone who knew him, and his passing has been very widely regretted.

Sincere sympathy is extended to his sister Sheila, his nephews, nieces and many other relatives.

The removal of Paddy Joe's remains took place to Mount Stuart Church on Tuesday evening and following Requiem Mass last Wednesday he was laid to rest in the adjoining cemetery in the presence of a very representative concourse.