Author Topic: Worcester Escapees  (Read 29342 times)

JM1957

• Just Moved Here
Worcester Escapees
« on: December 21, 2005, 02:47:28 PM »
Anyone out there who grew up in Worcester and left? I left there in 1975 at 18 years old. Haven't been back to visit since 1992. Find myself thinking about the city a lot in that nostalgic, middle-aged way. Anyone with similar/different experience of parting's sweet sorrow?

last_unicorn

• Just Moved Here
  • Old Clarkie '73
Re: Worcester Escapees
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 08:58:39 AM »
Is this John Moriarty?  Did you live on Bluebell Rd. and attend Clark University for a while?   :o 

Anyone out there who grew up in Worcester and left? I left there in 1975 at 18 years old. Haven't been back to visit since 1992. Find myself thinking about the city a lot in that nostalgic, middle-aged way. Anyone with similar/different experience of parting's sweet sorrow?

JM1957

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 09:45:45 AM »
No...I'm a different JM.
Is this John Moriarty?  Did you live on Bluebell Rd. and attend Clark University for a while?   :o 

Barb Knox

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 02:38:49 PM »
Well, I'm an escapee who left after the blizzard of '78.  Decided that was my last winter in Ma and headed West.  I've lived in the Palm Springs, California area since then.

I do get maudlin sometimes, especially when looking at some of the pictures I found online.  I was born at Hahnemann Hospital, I was told that my mom went there from Memorial where there was some kind of something in the maternity ward there.  I attended "Old" Woodland Street School, "New" Woodland Preparatory School, South High School, and Salter Secretarial School.  Worked for Paul Revere Life (who didn't) and was a distributor for WT&G.

Memories, yes...miss it sometimes (although my brother called from there a few weeks ago to tell me of the snow)...go back to live - Nope!

Barb Knox (Siergie)

zoyapup

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 02:37:10 PM »
Hi,
I left Worcester in 1977 to go to college in Southern california.  I didn't go back until 1996 but now I go to Boston every summer and visited Worcester during that stay.  Mostly so I can head to Dino's restaurant  for the lasagna.  I went to Woodland Street School, Worcester east Middle School and then on to Burncoat Jr and Sr high School.  Some of the city has changed tremendously and some hasn't changed at all.  The memories of the sixties and early seventies are wonderful but it started to get a little rough in the mid seventies so it was time to move away.  I still carry that Worcester attitude proudly wherever I go, though. 

suzandersn

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 07:18:21 PM »
I keep thinking it will be better than I remember each time I  come back. I'm always wrong. It's just dirtier. Coming out from CA in another week and I am sure once the nostalgia wears off I will remember why I left. It is fun to see what other folks remember--the teenaged hangouts, the neighborhood attractions that no longer exist. I actually collect postcards of the city.

mfarris

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 07:43:13 AM »
left Worcester in 1983..i used to live in Plumley Villiage.

Whattever4

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 03:47:27 PM »

Did you know John Moriiarity, I did to!! What ever became of him, do you know??

Whattever4

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 03:53:04 PM »

I lived in Worcester till I was 20 and left also. Ive been back many times but its never the same as when you lived there. I often think back on it with lots of fond memories. but I think we have such memories because we were younger then and life was full of just fun times back them.  Its not so much the place we miss, its the time in our lives that we miss.

Alex63

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 10:14:20 AM »
Hi, I grow up around Clark U. area and attended Woodland Elem. in the early 70's, then  Burncoat Jr. High, and then Worc. Boys Trade. Graduated in 1982. In 1989 moved to Florida where I reside now.
I can remember Worcester center around the Holidays, well all of the downtown area, and what is was then to me, I have nothing but great memorys which I miss dearly. The neighborhood I growing up had big victorian style homes and then where we folks lived  :D. just joking..
Every year that goes by, I feel as if I lost a love one and think of Worcester.
Someday I would love to make that big move again and come home.
signed, Alex

kist news

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 11:22:46 AM »
Also an escapee to the west.  Lived in South Worcester for a time before going into the Air Force at the beginning of the Korean affair.  Lived on Tracy Place.  Went back several times on leave from Air Force.  One last visit while in service, got covered with slush and snow (without the appropriate clothing)..decided to stay in CA where I had been assigned to open up Vandenberg AFB just north of Santa Barbara.  Been in S.B. ever since.  Used to hang around at the old YD diner at Southbridge St. & Hope Avenue.  Also would go to Casey's Diner at Webster Square.  Went back in '94 for Mom's funeral and took a couple of days to look around at the old neighborhoods.  Lived up on Packachaug Hill for awhile too..on Warwick St.  Worked at the YD Diner for awhile and at South Terminal market with Sid Haigh.  Anyone know of Herbie Perks, Ernie Hebert, George Bennett, Richie Hosegood, Bob Townsend.  Miss the place and the old Foley and Delage klans.  Everyone (almost) says Worcester is still a great place!!  We are the Foleys.     kist news

Frankie

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 01:55:14 PM »
I grew up on Shrewsbury Street and left Worcester in 1973 but returned in 1988 for 2 years. In 1990 I moved to Florida and have been here since. My dad still lives in Worcester but occasional visits are fine with me and I often think of the good old days and the great times I had while growing up.
Florida is ok but NO HISTORY OR TRADITION just Hurricanes.

IMMarkRiCO

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 06:10:48 PM »
I left in the mid seventies, when I was in high school. It was a horrible time of life to be uprooted and I really missed Worcester for a long time, but I got over it about the time I started college. I grew up in Greendale, near Indian Lake. I guess I am at that time of my life (mid-life) where I am starting to feel nostalgic. When did time start moving so fast? Worcester is a good place to be from.

woostahgirlatheart

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 01:44:05 PM »
Frankie I know what you mean about Florida I was in Worcester until  1996 then moved to Florida...it's got water but NO Water Street that is for sure!! I know live in SC and am enjoying some much needed history and seasons =)

p.s. if you were the Frankie who posted on Italian Genealogy page thanks for the tip about the Anise oil in the Annisette cookies...YUMMY!

I grew up on Shrewsbury Street and left Worcester in 1973 but returned in 1988 for 2 years. In 1990 I moved to Florida and have been here since. My dad still lives in Worcester but occasional visits are fine with me and I often think of the good old days and the great times I had while growing up.
Florida is ok but NO HISTORY OR TRADITION just Hurricanes.

dpam1968

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 06:21:14 PM »
I grew up in Worcester and left in '83 and moved to Colorado. My brother and 2 sisters still live there and are all involved with W.F.D. I always have a soft spot in my heart for home and plan on visiting next year and biking around the city to all my old haunts. It was a great place to grow up. But the skiing is better here........ :)