Author Topic: Tobey Boland and the Blackstone Canal  (Read 5547 times)

worcmik

• Townie
Tobey Boland and the Blackstone Canal
« on: November 27, 2005, 03:57:59 PM »
     For those that missed it, Kathleen A. Shaw of the Worcester Telegram & Gazette wrote an article (Friday, Nov. 25, 2005. pg. B1) about Shrewsbury resident Thomas L. Rooney's children's-book Tobey Boland and the Blackstone Canal.  The book was published recently by Ambassador Books of Worcester and was illustrated by another Shrewsbury resident Patricia A. Foley-Donovan. Boland was a 19th century contractor with ties to Worcester. I have never been a big fan of Boland's, but I must admit he was an important man in his day. Rooney wanted to "tell a new generation about Mr. Boland" according to Shaw. Knowedge of Boland must skip a generation or two as I managed to get well into my adulthood before I learned of him. This is some of what I learned:
     He was one of a "certain class of Irishman" that did little to advance the situation of the majority of the Irish (i.e. laborers) according to Richard O'Flynn.
     A group of parishioners  of Christ's Church (1834-1846) in Worcester refused to allow their pastor to name Boland contractor for the construction of St. John's Church (1846-present).
     He was the intended target of the mop of Irishmen that  took part in the Palm Sunday riots in 1848.
     His workmanship and business practices were questioned by a Fr. Tupper in Manchester N.H. after he built a church there.
     His  second wife used an ethnic slur for the Irish masses in a letter to her brother, the second Bishop of Boston (The diocese covered a very large area, including Worcester.) John Fitzpatrick.
     That marital connection assured Boland would build many churches, so I am not impressed by his resume. That resume evidently includes building that beautiful Cathedral in Boston, though it burns my ass to tell you that.
   There are Boland boosters to  tell you all about this large, um... great   man. Rooney really did his homework, and one can find little wrong in the carefully worded story. Errors are mostly of the omission  kind. But, as another Rooney says, "now you know the rest of the story."
John

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Tobey Boland and the Blackstone Canal
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 02:44:43 AM »
He sent me a copy of his book which will be added to the Children's collection at my library.  Howard Zinn who wrote the People's  History of the United States more or less says that history is usually recorded by those in power.  Worcmik and I are very interested in those people who lived ordinary lives and are also very interested in the views of Richard O'Flynn (who himself was biased!)  But what it all boils down to is that if you compile ALL the historical perspectives from those in power down through those who were disenfranchised, you might be able to distill out the real story.    Good job on the book Tom...write another one on the irish people in worcester!    Merski

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 01:46:18 PM »
I too was given a copy by the author, a wonderful man. A wonderful book, too. Very nicely done. After re-reading my last on the subject; I regret calling the omissions "mistakes." That  sort of info needn't be included in a children's book.
This is a more appropriate form for Boland-bashing. or Boosting for that matter.
But if this post leads to a review of the book, put me down for "Loved it."
J

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 05:29:38 PM »
Tom Rooney will be signing copies of his book as well as reading from it on Sat. December 3, 2005 from 2 to 3 pm, at the Tatnuck Booksellers, Chandler St. Worcester.    Just so you know. I will try to stop by for support, but I have to work. They will let me come in late, so I can be there to applaud him at his introduction.  John