Author Topic: Worcester to Providence, Rhode Island employment  (Read 5423 times)

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
Worcester to Providence, Rhode Island employment
« on: October 23, 2005, 12:52:01 AM »
 During the 1890 to 1895 period my great grandfather Michael J. Curtin and his family seem to have left Worcester for a short time for Providence, Rhode Island-the third child, Lucy, was born there-for some yet undetermined reason. The lady in New Zealand who is helping me in my research says she saw in one of the Worcester Directories of that time that another resident listed was going to Providence for a time connected to employment. The implication being some Providence company came up to Worcester to recruit laborers for some project for a time in Rhode Island. Whatever it was it seems to have been completed by later in the 1890s.

Does anyone heard about this kind of situation in their own genealogical search or about a Rhode Island company who possibly could have did that. This Rhode Island period -as well as being kind of surprising-has proven to be a bit of a mystery because the family seems to have disappeared from directories for a time.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 11:18:28 AM by corky3 »

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
Re: Worcester to Providence, Rhode Island employment
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 11:19:39 AM »
 Thanks for your information. It appears that the Curtins were not the only ones that made the Providence trek.

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 03:24:19 PM »
The 1890 city directory lists Cornealus Canavan (Who was an inside finnisher[painter, I think] for J. ?. Bishop Co.) as "removed to Providence," he was back in Worc. by the time he died in 1911.  John

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 04:44:53 PM »
Worcmik, don't you have info about the Blackstone canal that links these two cities?  I'm thinking even over the course of 50 years that there may be kin links...What do you think?   Merski    hey! Jakepow is a new member!  Hey jake!

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 06:31:40 PM »
Merski,
   I don't have much, in fact, I was surprized that there were others  that spent time in Prov. and returned to Worc. As for the speculation that there were "still" kinship ties so many years  after thar canal, or even after the family settled in Worc, seems a stretch. That Cornelus was born in Worc., his father was a famine immigrant, I thought there might be kin in Prov. when Cornelus went there. I did some work on the few Canavan's in Prov. but gave up after a while, I never found a connection. Now that I have heard that there were at least a couple of other people moving between the two cities, and the same time period, I tent to suspect there was work in Prov. jj