Author Topic: curtin/maroney  (Read 5940 times)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
curtin/maroney
« on: September 26, 2005, 08:20:09 AM »
in my
St. John Database    David Maroney born Ballykissane co. kerry died March 28, 1916 Ae 74 yrs    no curtins in that database or in my master database.  I put your query into a subject heading for the two names to get you more help.  Good luck!  You may very much need to see the tombstones because even some of the later may have info.  Perhaps someone could look up the obit for you.  If you're not from the worcester area, you may be able to contact the genealogy reference desk to get the obits if you have the death dates.  Be certain to give them a donation if there is no fee for that.

I tried like crazy to find stuff before I first went to ireland...therein lies madness!  Just go and enjoy and realize this info isn't going to come at the rate you'll need it.  Promise yourself another trip when you have enough material on your ancestors.

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
Re: curtin/maroney
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 12:55:18 AM »
  Thank you for your efforts. I actually have the funeral notices from the 1930s-Margaret died in 1932 and Michael some time later -probably a year or two-believe it or not there is not date in the article. And I have seen the gravesite-years ago before I had started my genealogical investigation. Presently I am awaiting information-death certificates from the city clerk and hopefully some information from the funeral home-which has buried Curtins since the 30s.

The couple was married in Boston in 1889 but obviously moved to Worcester by the end of the end of the year since John was born here in December of 1889. Thanks again.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 01:38:02 AM »
Do you have the obits from the Worcester telegram?  There were two newpapers that may have more info as they were irish-based.  One was the worcester evening post or the worcester daily times (I forget) the other was The Messenger which later became the Catholic Messenger.

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 12:07:31 PM »
  Yes -upon reading the back side of the items it was from the Telegram (and a shrubbery sale where everything is 35 cents according to size).  She obviously had a grander funeral -a high mass held at St. Paul's -a Gregorian mass of requiem. His was a smaller affair held at St. Margaret Mary's-a church I tried to find on the internet but could not. Both are buried at St. John's-I believe all the Worcester Curtins as well as other branches of in-laws-like the Bolacks and Doyles are as well.

The items are more funeral notices rather than biographical in content and looks like they were torn out of the newspaper probably by my grandmother-in-law. I believe both she and her husband, John Curtin had their funerals at st. Paul' and are buried at St. John's

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 01:26:25 PM »
  Well I finally got to St. John's Cemetery and the ladies in the office were most helpful. I found the Michael/Margaret(nee Maroney) Curtin plot but unfortunately no additional information was on the stone -the date of birth of both I believe being incorrect-contradictory to my information ( death certificates,etc). However what I learned was that a third individual was also buried on the site which appears to be a relation to Margaret as his last name is Jeremiah Maroney.

Now I wonder if anyone has any information other than what I managed to find. He was buried on 2/05/1955 and was 84 at his death. Graham Putnam Funeral home in Worcester buried him.. He was born -once again in unknown Ireland around 1871/1872 and appears to have immigrated around 1885 which may have been at the same time as Margaret. He is listed as a machinist working on Foster corner Bridge and boarded in 1889 at 167 Front but appears to have moved in 1890 to 140 Exchange. He is also listed on the 1900 Census as a boarder.

Anyone know anything about this gentleman? Also I can not say enough about the very helpful ladies in the St. John Cemetery office. They were enormously helpful.

Next to the Curtin/Bolack plot is another set of Curtins. And I am wondering if anyone has any connection to this family -perhaps related to my search.  They are listed as follows: John J. Curtin 1857-1927; his wife Jane A. Cowell 1857-1928. His son James A. Curtin 1891-1935 and his wife Nellie Bowker 1892-1970.

Edit: I have learned that the last Curtin family has a lineage from Lowell and probably has no connection to "my" line. I have also been looking at the 1920 Worcester Census and discovered that Michael worked as a caretaker in the Worcester parks. Question: Would it be worth looking into whether the City of Worcester kept records of their employees in the 20s? Also I learned both Michael and Margaret were naturalized in 1890. Was that done in Worcester or did they have to travel to Boston. I know the family was in Worcester from 1889 to 1890 and were there in 1904 when Ethel-the second daughter,graduated from junior high and later went on to graduate from Classical High-I assume 4 years later. And I know the 3rd daughter, Lucy, was born in Providence RI in 1894 yet I can not find any of them in the 1890,1900 or 1910 Census. By 1920 John had already set up his own household and Michael and family are also listed there. John taught machine shop at Worcester Trade so he was also a civil city employee. Again back to the city of Worcester employees question.

Michael immigrated according to the census in 1883, Margaret in 1884 and they were married in 1889-John being born later that year. It appears those years between 1883 to 1889 were probably spent in Boston.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 02:39:23 AM by corky3 »