Author Topic: Keep sept. 17th open!  (Read 11910 times)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Keep sept. 17th open!
« on: August 16, 2005, 07:16:05 AM »
The worcester public library will be having a program from 1-4 on genealogy and a part of it will be on irish genealogy.  Worcmik and I both think this would be in lieu of the one we were trying to set up.  I will give details when they are available I'm planning on attending and will bring my master database for anyone who hasn't seen it .  They will also have another Genealogy for night owls, which I have attended and was great.  You register and pay a certain fee and when the library is closed all of the resources are available to you and even some special stuff AND you get to meet other worcester researchers...it's for all ethnicities...

cheryl

• Townie
Re: Keep sept. 17th open!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 02:25:06 AM »
 :(  Boo-hoo, I have a prior engagement.   I wanted to support your efforts of keeping this group active; I hope everyone else does!   Cheryl

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 02:45:52 PM »
I look forward to the Sept. 17th program. I am sure many of "us" will make it. John

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 06:52:43 PM »
I was at the Worcester Public Library today,and I asked about the up-comming program. The details are being worked-out for that, and for another "night owl" in late Oct. More as details emerge.
I still have some typing to do, but the search for the Tatnuck dead in the Worc. death records is complete. With the help of my son, I looked at the all the entries made from 1836 to 1900; hand-wrote the ones that fit the criteria; and typed them into a spreadsheet. I will type in the last entries and print a chronological list as well as an alphabetical one. I will also create a couple of charts to see if there is something to be learned from the effort.  I will bring these with me to the WPL on the 17th of Sept. (if I can get out of working that day).
I have played-around with a map and some records (marriage and 1855 Irish-only census), and have created a rough draft of: A look at the location of pre-famine Irish in Worcester County. The map of the county has the last names of Irish-born persons (in the US by 1845) printed within the boarder of the town they resided in (usually in 1855). Were they in those towns prior to 1845? ...Well, they were in the US. Did I get them all?... No, I used the age of American-born children to determine arrival dates, so I am sure to have missed many that were here, but childless, prior to 1845. I am sure there is a few Protestant-Irish in there as well, but I doubt that they make up the majority. What was the point?... If you don't take it too seriously, it is kinda neat. I will make copies and bring them to the WPL on Sept 17th 2005. See you there   John

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 03:00:47 AM »
Wow!  Can't wait to see your work.  Did you actually take death dates from tatnuck and look up the vital records to get any more details, if available?  This was something I was interested in doing, but haven't found the time.  I'm thinking of signing up for ancestry.com, any feedback as to whether this is a good/worthwhile website for me or other researchers?

marcol

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 03:19:13 AM »
Hi  Mary Ellen  I am with Ancestry,com   I can forward you a copy if You'd like to look at it
before you sign up   Marion

traveler

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 03:42:21 AM »
Mary Ellen, this is your coworker from St. John's cemetery. I've been lurking and enjoying this site. I wanted to tell you and other researchers about the Godfrey library site. It's wonderful and only costs 35 dollars a year. It has Heritagequest census images and historical newspapers and an access to the T&G archives to 1989. Some of this you can also get through your WPL membership. I also use Ancestry. Have had a membership from before the census was on-line. I use them both. Another Marion

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 05:57:24 PM »
The Worc. Public Library has listed "Geneaolgy Day" Sept. 17th, 2005 on the "Calender of Events" page of thier website. The hours are 1-4pm. I am working that day and there is a good chance I will not be able to attend. I will attend the next "... Night Owls" event, databases in-tow. If anyone is interested in a copy of the "Worc. County pre-famine Irish" map (Remember, this is a novelty item that I create to get a sense of where some of the early immigrants settled.) then let me know. I will see to it that a sufficient number are at the library that day. John

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 02:49:07 PM »
The Worcester Public Library will hold "Genealogy Day" from 1 to 4 pm. Sept. 17, 2005. The calender of events blurb on the event promises "experts" in French and Irish genealogy, as well a speaker on organizing your research. Chech it out on their webpage.

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 07:17:44 PM »
Hi,
Looks like two of the "experts" in Irish genealogy lined up for the 17th are none other than Merski and Worcmik. I will talk briefly on the Tatnuck work and Databases in general. Merski will be pluggin' this forum and... ? Made some maps, and printed the Tatnuck work with an index. (finished for now). I look forward to this chance to talk to you all.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 01:54:54 AM »
Well, we might not call ourselves experts in irish genealogy, rest assured that we have both logged hundreds of hours of research into worcester and worcester county irish.  Methinks my partner in crime doth be too modest about himself!   I'll bring my databases (read here voluminous amounts of cards and paper) to try to do look ups for worcester researchers.  I'm thinking worcmik we should write a doctoral thesis from what we've found.

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 02:18:24 AM »
Hi Maryellen and John,
I'm really bumming I can't make it tomorrow.  Maryellen, could you save a copy of John's database for me, please?   Thanks, talk to you on Monday.  Cheryl

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 01:05:02 PM »
Not  a lot of people showed up.  John was great and showed what he was doing with the Tatnuck burial records.  We saw the Catholic messenger the worcester irish newspaper that the WPL would like to have filmed so that we can use them in our research.  We saw obituaries in there.  I think the worcester evening post was also an ethnic newspaper owned by an Irish-American.  May be nicer obits (can't prove this yet) than the yankee-owned newspapers.  They have informed us that they are working on another irish genealogy day set for March 18th (Sat.) in which they hope to have someone from TIARA speak, the archivist from Holy Cross College and its irish research sources and check in with the worcester group.  Please keep that date open.

traveler

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 03:40:53 PM »
So sorry we couldn't be there on the 17th.  Thanks for the update about the event. Unfortunately we will not be able to be there in March either, but it's wonderful to see Irish research growing in Worcester.
We're doing somework in Boston, just helping TIARA get done some of the physical set up of the Forster's records.