Author Topic: Abbott Street School members '48-'51  (Read 8945 times)

EFW

• Just Moved Here
Abbott Street School members '48-'51
« on: August 08, 2005, 03:05:01 PM »
Looking for some old classmates from those good old days. We won city championships in football, basketball, and baseball. Great feeder system for high school sports. Miss Healy, Horan, Hurley, and Miss O'Connor were tough, but they were the best in hindsite.Joe Pare was principle. He was also tough but always fair. Anyone remember crawling in the deep grass behind Jimmy Whites 3 decker slowly getting up to the chain link fence with the barbed wire on top and then when the motorcycle cops weren't at that end of the "A" field make a break for the fence and scramble over just to get in free to the night high school games? If the motorcycle cops saw you they would fly over to where you were now running whacking you on the back of your legs to get you to go back over the fence. I could write a book about growing up around that part of Worcester. Great memories!

Dave Collins

Re: Abbott Street School members '48-'51
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 04:49:13 AM »
Looking for some old classmates from those good old days. We won city championships in football, basketball, and baseball. Great feeder system for high school sports. Miss Healy, Horan, Hurley, and Miss O'Connor were tough, but they were the best in hindsite.Joe Pare was principle. He was also tough but always fair. Anyone remember crawling in the deep grass behind Jimmy Whites 3 decker slowly getting up to the chain link fence with the barbed wire on top and then when the motorcycle cops weren't at that end of the "A" field make a break for the fence and scramble over just to get in free to the night high school games? If the motorcycle cops saw you they would fly over to where you were now running whacking you on the back of your legs to get you to go back over the fence. I could write a book about growing up around that part of Worcester. Great memories!

Dave Collins

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 04:56:31 AM »
[/qu
I was a few years ahead of you. I went to kindergarten at Abbott St and had Ms. Devlin.
From there I went to Bllessed Sacrament School. I remember Jimmy White and his family well. We also used to play Pick up games of basesball behind his house, on a field that backed up to the school.

Dave Collins.
i

Lindak2

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 05:37:45 AM »

It seems to me there was a large family of  Whites Let' see: Dennis, Billy, Jimmy, Joan and Tommy.  Same family????????????

Ed Warren

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 03:36:49 PM »

It seems to me there was a large family of  Whites Let' see: Dennis, Billy, Jimmy, Joan and Tommy.  Same family????????????

Hi Dave,
Your name sounds familiar...can you give me some idea of your memories of that time? Jimmy White was in my class, Joan married Richie Conrad who was also in my class. Bill was a little older but I do remember him. Tommy, if I remember right was the youngest. Dennis I don't recall. My wife was friendly with Joan before I met her and had actually slept over her house a few times when they were kids. I lived on Townsend Street in those days. We went to Winslow Street School to the 4th grade then to Mason Street for the 5th grade and then back to Winslow for the 6th grade. We were split up then with some going to Sever Street and some of us went to Abbott for 7th and 8th grade. My family moved to Auburn on my graduation from Abbott Street and I went to Auburn High graduating in 1955. Your name is really ringing a bell but I can't place you yet. Please update me when you can. Ed.

Edward Warren

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 03:46:37 PM »

Hi Dave,
Your name sounds familiar...can you give me some idea of your memories of that time? Jimmy White was in my class, Joan married Richie Conrad who was also in my class. Bill was a little older but I do remember him. Tommy, if I remember right was the youngest. Dennis I don't recall. My wife was friendly with Joan before I met her and had actually slept over her house a few times when they were kids. I lived on Townsend Street in those days. We went to Winslow Street School to the 4th grade then to Mason Street for the 5th grade and then back to Winslow for the 6th grade. We were split up then with some going to Sever Street and some of us went to Abbott for 7th and 8th grade. My family moved to Auburn on my graduation from Abbott Street and I went to Auburn High graduating in 1955. Your name is really ringing a bell but I can't place you yet. Please update me when you can. Ed.

Lindak2

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 12:16:27 AM »

Hi Dave,

Eddie,

Send me your e-mail address and I will send the information diirectly to you. I hung around with Richie Conrad and played ball with him,. along with Jimmy White, Mo Mulcahy and several others that you may know.
Look forward to hearing from you.
My e-mail is: lindak2@bellsouth.net