Author Topic: cronin family  (Read 23999 times)

Caroline

• Just Moved Here
Re: cronin family
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 10:47:45 AM »
Hm, I don't remember if I did or not!  My Elizabeth and all her siblings were baptized at the Kilcummin church although they were living in Doocarraig - it was the Kilcummin registers, transcribed into a privately produced book called something like 'Blackwater, Cois Mang, and Sliabh Luachra', that provided my LDS breakthrough.  If I didn't put it there, I'd love to know who did!  I know I have to have a bunch of cousins in Worcester that I don't know.

(oops I left off a brother of hers named John from my list, it's his granddaughter and her husband who live on the family farm today)

traveler

• Just Moved Here
Re: cronin family/seeking living relatives
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 12:47:48 PM »
Hello, I am a new poster here and I joined just so I could participate in this Cronin family topic.  I know that I have Cronin relatives in Worcester but do not know any of them.  Perhaps someone here will recognize some of this information.

My great-grandmother Elizabeth Cronin was from Doocarraig, County Kerry (east of Killarney, very near Rathmore).  She came to Worcester sometime either side of 1890 when she was about 23 and worked as a domestic.  She married Leonard Rice in 1893 and they had 4 sons before she died of TB in 1911.  My grandfather was 8 at the time but he recalled that his mother's relatives would come over and they would speak Irish.

After her death it seems that her relatives totally lost touch with her sons, I don't know the reason.  Through her marriage certificate and some good luck at the LDS library I found relatives in Ireland still living on the same farms, and further filled out my information.  A very elderly cousin who would have been a child in 1911 said she vaguely remembers grief over the death of an aunt in America, and that nobody would say out loud in those days that there was TB in the family.

It seems that Elizabeth's brother Daniel came to Worcester as well, and perhaps also a sister Mary who married a Leahy.  Their mother was a Donoghue, also of the Doocarraig area, so the assumption is that there are also Donahues in Worcester who are related to this family, but I have no information on that.  My mother was married in 1957 by Father Leahy at Christ the King church and says he was related to her distantly, although I'm not sure how anyone would have known that by this time.

SO - I am looking for any Worcester Cronins who are descended from a man named Daniel (who immigrated in about 1890, would have spoken Irish with his family members, had siblings who died of TB both here and back in Ireland), and have Leahy and Donahue cousins.  If anyone recognizes this information I'd love to know more.  Thank you!
Just had to add, I was married in Christ The King by Fr. Leahy Dec 1958. I remember him very fondly.

traveler

• Just Moved Here
Re: favor from traveler
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 01:04:16 PM »
Hi Traveler,
I just got back from the WPL trying to get information from the NEHGS website.  I had possession of the bad computer which takes 10 minutes to load.  After a frustrating time, knowing that the parking meter was running low, I had to leave.  Could you do three look-ups for me please?
Michael Cronin married a Mary ?, possibly Worcester, 1867
Michael Cronin married a Hannah ?, Auburn, 1903 second marriage
Michael Cronin married a Mary W. ?, Auburn, 1885
I understand there may not be much information for the last two since the images are not available yet.  And if you find any other Michael Cronin's hanging about, I would be interested to prove or discount my list.
Thanks,  Cheryl
I just tried to look at those records, but the site isn't working. I'm getting an error message when I try to open the images.  I'll keep trying.
This record, as you said, doesn't have the image link, but here is what I found: Michael Cronin married 1910. Vol 526 Pg 496

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 01:09:21 PM »
Thank you and have a safe trip to FL

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 01:12:13 PM »
Caroline, I just looked up that family on OneWorld Tree.  Contact person is listed as unknown but it looks like someone with a strong Rice connection.   I forget if this is a pay service that I may have as part of a package.  If you can't access it, list your email and I will copy and paste it to you.
ID: I4383
Name: Leonard Dorrington RICE
Sex: M
Birth: 23 NOV 1867
Death: 6 NOV 1934 in Worcester, Massachusetts

Father: Edward RICE b: 23 SEP 1841 in Bridgetown, Annapolis Co, Nova Scotia
Mother: Martha WOODRUFF b: 16 JAN 1838 in Halifax, Nova Scotia

Marriage 1 Elizabeth CRONIN b: WFT Est. 1855-1877
Married: 25 MAY 1893 in Worcester, Massachusetts

Caroline

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2005, 03:25:30 PM »
Cheryl - I can't get into that part of Ancestry.  But it MUST be my info imported from somewhere, that is my family.  Maybe I submitted my charts to the LDS library when I started this - it looks like before I found the Kilcummin registers.  Or maybe someone else in my not very distant group of relations has submitted the same data.  But that is the right marriage record.  My evidence for other Worcester Cronin relatives is just based on my grandfather's memories and the memories of the elderly cousin of his that I met in England.

Caroline

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2005, 03:26:48 PM »
Just had to add, I was married in Christ The King by Fr. Leahy Dec 1958. I remember him very fondly.

Wow that is a coincidence.  Did you live in the neighborhood?  My mother's parents had moved to Chesterfield Rd. sometime in the earlier 1950s.

traveler

• Just Moved Here
Re: favor from traveler
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2005, 04:11:37 PM »
Hi Traveler,
I just got back from the WPL trying to get information from the NEHGS website.  I had possession of the bad computer which takes 10 minutes to load.  After a frustrating time, knowing that the parking meter was running low, I had to leave.  Could you do three look-ups for me please?
Michael Cronin married a Mary ?, possibly Worcester, 1867
Michael Cronin married a Hannah ?, Auburn, 1903 second marriage
Michael Cronin married a Mary W. ?, Auburn, 1885
I understand there may not be much information for the last two since the images are not available yet.  And if you find any other Michael Cronin's hanging about, I would be interested to prove or discount my list.
Thanks,  Cheryl
The site is working now, but nohelp. I could not find a marriage for Michael Cronin in Worcester County any time from 1865 to 1870. There are listing for 1902 and 1910

traveler

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2005, 04:17:48 PM »

Wow that is a coincidence.  Did you live in the neighborhood?  My mother's parents had moved to Chesterfield Rd. sometime in the earlier 1950s.
I lived on Dellwood Rd all my life and went to Tatnuck school. Maiden name was Devine

Caroline

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2005, 04:27:52 AM »
Good morning Cheryl, I just looked at the NEGHS site - I don't think I'm going to join, and I live far away from anyplace that would have an institutional membership like the Worcester library - but I put in a vital records search for marriages for Daniel Cronin in Worcester county between 1875 and 1895 and there were 4 hits.  If one of those had parents of Daniel Cronin and Elizabeth Donahue then I would love to know so that I could order a copy from VitalCheck.  If you are searching there for Cronins soon, I would love to know what you find.  Thanks!!

cheryl

• Townie
Re: cronin family/Michael J.
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2005, 03:21:19 AM »
Hi, I have a question directed to Worcmick
I have found a marriage of Michael J Cronin and Johanna Shea in 1865.  First marriage for both, ages 32 and 26 (although in the census they both add 10 years to their age) Parents Patrick and Mary Cronin and Cornelius and Mary Shea.  Married by John J. Power, Feb 28, 1865
This information is from the NEGHS website.  Would you have more information on your database, i.e., witnesses?  Thanks for your help, Cheryl

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2005, 03:52:03 AM »
Cheryl,

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2005, 04:02:21 AM »
oops, again.
       The date of the marriage you asked about is too late for me to have transcribed. Fr. Powers was at St. John's, so the record is there. You should send a nice little note to Ruth at St. John's Church, 44 Temple St. Worcester MA 01604-4197. Good luck.  J