Author Topic: cronin family  (Read 23998 times)

loreto

• Just Moved Here
cronin family
« on: July 07, 2005, 12:28:12 PM »
Michael Cronin, Killarney and Worcester, MA,   

Hi,
Wiriting from Ireland.  My great-grandfather Michael Cronin was born in 1842 in Killarney, Co Kerry, Ireland.  He emigrated to the U.S. possibly in 1878 after his wife Ellen O`Donoghue had died.  He had one in family, Patrick. He in turn emigrated to the U.S. in 1911 and according to ellisisland.org went to his cousin John o`Donoghue, 156 Foster Street, Worcester, MA.  Patrick only stayed about a year in the U.S. returning to Killarney again. While in Worcester he related a story that he had just missed meeting his father in a Public House. Michael Cronin was a Grocer before he emigrated I have no record of him after that. His parents names were Pat Cronin and Mary o`Leary.  I have no record if he married again or if he died and was interred in Worcester, Ma.  John O`Donoghue was I believe his brother in law or his wife Ellen`s nephew. I have researched that John O`Donoghue was baptized here in Killarney in 1867. His wife`s maiden name was Mary Gardner. I think she was baptized here in Killarney in 1871. Their marriage took place in Worcester in 1889. Various cencus` has them at 20 Benefit Terrace, Worcester in 1920 and 79 Charlotte St, Worcester in 1930. John o`Donoghue died in 1932 and is interred in St John`s cemetery. His wife Mary died in 1952 and also interred in St John`s. I also discovered Robert M. Bergin of 17715 Gulf Blvd Redington Shore fl, formerly of 79 Charlotte St, Worcester a grandson of John O`Donoghue who died 6/29/1990. Robert Bergin worked for the Worcester Telegram & Gazette, from 1961-1981.  Any help in tracing my ancestors would be great!

Padraig :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 11:21:47 AM by loreto »

cheryl

• Townie
Re: cronin family
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 06:03:33 AM »
Padraig,
Are you looking for living relatives?  I found some.
Clabre1068@aol.com

loreto

• Just Moved Here
Michael Cronin, Killarney and Worcester, MA
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 12:19:11 PM »
Padraig,
Are you looking for living relatives?  I found some.
Clabre1068@aol.com

Hi,
I would be delighted to find living relatives.  Hoping to hear more.

regards

padsexton@eircom.net

« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 11:24:23 AM by loreto »

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 09:48:33 AM »
Padraig,
I checked on the obit for Michael Cronin 8/3/1926 at the library today.  There were no obits listed on Aug 3.  On Aug 4, included in the list was :
Funeral for Michael Cronin
The funeral for Michael Cronin was yesterday in Callahan Bros. funeral suite, 36 Trumball Street.  A service followed in St. John's church at 11 a.m.  Rev. John H. Freel officiating.  Burial was in St. John's cemetery.

Not much information to go on there.  I will check the Worcester Evening Post next time I go to the library to see if there is any more information.

I looked through the street directory and will send you that information in an email.
Cheryl

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 11:04:18 AM »
Worcmik, I'm not sure your records go this far forward but looking for a
Peter Howard married to Margaret (Gardiner or O'Donoghue) about 1860-1870?
They are connected to the O'Donoghue family.  Thanks for your help.
Cheryl

loreto

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 08:55:18 AM »
\\
Padraig,
I checked on the obit for Michael Cronin 8/3/1926 at the library today.  There were no obits listed on Aug 3.  On Aug 4, included in the list was :
Funeral for Michael Cronin
The funeral for Michael Cronin was yesterday in Callahan Bros. funeral suite, 36 Trumball Street.  A service followed in St. John's church at 11 a.m.  Rev. John H. Freel officiating.  Burial was in St. John's cemetery.

Not much information to go on there.  I will check the Worcester Evening Post next time I go to the library to see if there is any more information.

I looked through the street directory and will send you that information in an email.

Cheryl

Hi,

If I were to obtain a Death Certificate for Michael Cronin can  I hope to get more data eg Parents names ect.
What is the appropriate addresss for same.

Padraig

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 02:33:15 AM »
http://www.mass.gov/dph/bhsre/rvr/vrcopies.htm

Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 02:36:25 AM »
http://www.ci.worcester.ma.us/cco/records.htm

Worcester City Hall Clerk's Office

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 03:36:24 AM »
Help, desperately seeking Michael J. Cronin.  Where do I look next?   Padraig had a list of 17 Michael Cronin's interned at St. John's Cemetery.  I have looked up their obituarities and matched them with the Worcester Street Directory.  Thoroughly searched the federal census records and followed up on many Michael Cronins.  Examined the ellis island website for Cronins, Learys, and Donoghues coming to Worcester from Killarney.  I have obtained over 150 obituaries from the WPL newsbank for the Telegram & Gazette and cross referenced these with the federal census.  Where do I look next?  Is there a massachusetts census schedule at WPL?  How about a death index after 1910?  Any suggestions out there?   Any Cronin, Leary or Donoghue families from Killarney on the list so I can prove or discount some of these names. 
Thanks, Cheryl

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 02:20:08 AM »
Thanks Colleen.  The Michael Cronin buried from Callahans was the wrong Michael.  He immigrated abt. 1860 and the elusive Michael J. was in Ireland until sometime after 1878.  I have studied Fox Street, all the names lived there at one time or another, but haven't made a solid connection.  I also checked naturalization records.  I'm driving my daughter crazy walking away from the computer, mumbling, "where is Michael?".   Again, thanks for the suggestion.
Cheryl

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 01:04:02 PM »
Cheryl, did you try to establish sibling groups from parents' names at marriage and death?  That's one way to tease apart all of those cronins.  Good luck...I know you're trying hard...did you look at all Michael Cronins (wherever they were in census records?)

cheryl

• Townie
Re: favor from traveler
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 09:28:57 AM »
Hi Traveler,
I just got back from the WPL trying to get information from the NEHGS website.  I had possession of the bad computer which takes 10 minutes to load.  After a frustrating time, knowing that the parking meter was running low, I had to leave.  Could you do three look-ups for me please?
Michael Cronin married a Mary ?, possibly Worcester, 1867
Michael Cronin married a Hannah ?, Auburn, 1903 second marriage
Michael Cronin married a Mary W. ?, Auburn, 1885
I understand there may not be much information for the last two since the images are not available yet.  And if you find any other Michael Cronin's hanging about, I would be interested to prove or discount my list.
Thanks,  Cheryl

Caroline

• Just Moved Here
Re: cronin family/seeking living relatives
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 10:07:27 AM »
Hello, I am a new poster here and I joined just so I could participate in this Cronin family topic.  I know that I have Cronin relatives in Worcester but do not know any of them.  Perhaps someone here will recognize some of this information.

My great-grandmother Elizabeth Cronin was from Doocarraig, County Kerry (east of Killarney, very near Rathmore).  She came to Worcester sometime either side of 1890 when she was about 23 and worked as a domestic.  She married Leonard Rice in 1893 and they had 4 sons before she died of TB in 1911.  My grandfather was 8 at the time but he recalled that his mother's relatives would come over and they would speak Irish.

After her death it seems that her relatives totally lost touch with her sons, I don't know the reason.  Through her marriage certificate and some good luck at the LDS library I found relatives in Ireland still living on the same farms, and further filled out my information.  A very elderly cousin who would have been a child in 1911 said she vaguely remembers grief over the death of an aunt in America, and that nobody would say out loud in those days that there was TB in the family.

It seems that Elizabeth's brother Daniel came to Worcester as well, and perhaps also a sister Mary who married a Leahy.  Their mother was a Donoghue, also of the Doocarraig area, so the assumption is that there are also Donahues in Worcester who are related to this family, but I have no information on that.  My mother was married in 1957 by Father Leahy at Christ the King church and says he was related to her distantly, although I'm not sure how anyone would have known that by this time.

SO - I am looking for any Worcester Cronins who are descended from a man named Daniel (who immigrated in about 1890, would have spoken Irish with his family members, had siblings who died of TB both here and back in Ireland), and have Leahy and Donahue cousins.  If anyone recognizes this information I'd love to know more.  Thank you!

Caroline

• Just Moved Here
Re: cronin family/seeking living relatives
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 10:11:15 AM »
To this information I should add the names of my great grandmother's siblings, because names tended to stay in the family.  I've seen posts about Michael on this thread and there weren't any Michaels in this family.  Nora (Honora), Hanna (Johanna), Mary, Patrick, Elizabeth, Daniel, Catherine, Margaret.

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 10:26:41 AM »
Hello Caroline, Are you the person who listed Elizabeth Cronin-Rice on the OneTree ancestry.com site?  I am helping with the Michael Cronin in Worcester information and am related to the Cronin/Lyne families of Kilcummin.  I have a note on my worksheet, was Elizabeth born in Coom, Kilcummin?  I will look over my other notes to see if I can't make a connection with/for you.
Cheryl