Author Topic: your personal stories about your Italian heritage or family  (Read 80342 times)

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: your personal stories about your Italian heritage or family
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2006, 03:25:17 PM »
Hi Woostagal! I can relate to trying to find Anise extract........and of course cookie trays. I lived in Missouri. (lived in Calif. the last 25 years). My son met a Mo. girl so we all ended up here. When they got married it was like pulling teeth trying to get "cookie trays" together. No one knew what I was talking about. I miss Worc. sometimes..........I gather you grew up in the Shrewsbury St area??? Did you know the Bellione's??? That's my maiden name.
Ciao back at you!:)

woostahgirlatheart

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2006, 08:59:57 AM »
Hi Diane

No your last name does not ring a bell...I actually grew up off Hamilton Hill\Grafton Street.  My last name is Misale (maiden name).  I feel bad that the city is not the same I every time I go home to visit family I cringe at how old and run down things look...my mom's neighborhood has drugs and crime they NEVER had before...I think they will have to move =(  they've lived on the same block for 60 years!!! so I can't even imagine them someplace else....even moving by in SC they'd be like fish out of water....I am hopeful things will change.  I am glad that I am raising my family here because the public schools are amazing....can only say that about a few public schools now back home.  Glad to know someone else feels my "cookie" pain.  All the best!

Lisa

Frankie

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2006, 12:08:18 PM »
If you can find Anise Oil  -It will make those cookies even better

Frank

Frankie

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2006, 01:12:03 PM »
Hi Robin,

Do you have a family member named '"Babe" I grew up on Risso Court and use to know Babe very well.

Frankie

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2006, 01:17:41 PM »
Does anyone remember the bakery on the corner of Shrewsbury Street and Risso Court? I cant remember the name even though I grew up on Risso Court.

Lam2861

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2007, 09:07:04 AM »
Hello Robin!!!!
My name is Lisa, and i grew up on Shrewsbury St. as well..
I lived there till i was 20,and went to the Grafton Hill area..My Maiden name is
Loverro,and i lived on Lyon Street till i moved away, i was born & raised there,and have lots of my own fond memories as well.
There are 7 kids in my family,and i am number 6.. i am 46 years old,and still in the Grafton St area..i sometimes visit the old neighborhood occasionally, and its not what it use to be..and its too bad..
I lived across the street from the barrel company..do you remember that place?
I was on the last house on the right, corner of Lyon & Albany Street..lived across the sand pit too..lol
My whole family worked at the Parkway Diner for years, everyone but my dad,and i learned lots from them by working there ,and today i am a Food Service Manager at a Nursing home, so i have the Parkway Diner to thank for all the cooking experience i learned..
I remember when Joe Viscosi had his store on Shrewsbury St,and When the Manzi's ran a supermarket on the corner of shrewsbury,and cross st.
We also had Steve's spa who had the best lemonade you could ever get, and Toscano's Market ..those were the good ole days,and we will never get them back..
Did you ever know anybody who lived on Lyon St.?  Let me know if you do..
Take care of yourself..
Ciao..;)
Lisa

Diane Bellione Morgan

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2007, 03:59:19 PM »
Hi Lisa, good getting some feedback from this website, seems like people don't visit here that often. We're about 10 years apart so that's probably why your name isn't familiar to me. (or is it??) My maiden name is Bellione. How I would love to go back to Worc. and take a stoll through the old neighborhood. I love Derrico's market, is it still there/?? Now living in Missouri we have NO Italian markets in the town where I live. Such a bummer.
Let's hope more people start coming here to this board to chat, I find it very nice to be able to talk to people from my hometown. I miss it sometimes though I don't think I'd ever want to go back. My family still lives there and my mom (almost 87) still goes to OLMC church.

Lam2861

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2007, 04:34:12 PM »
Hello,and where do you presently reside on Lyon Street?
I use to live at # 28, i was born and raised there..
After my dad passed away i left there in 81, i use to live right across the sand pit,and the barrel company..last house on the right..the 3 decker..
My maiden name is Loverro...ever heard of us?
I have 7 in my family,and i am the 6th one,and my name is Lisa..:)
I use to work at the Parkway Diner back in the day..do you ever go there?
They were always competitive with the Boulevard..lol , but how i had great times there..too bad that cant come back..
Ciao for now..
Lisa

rolli cannoli

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2008, 11:54:34 AM »
are u related to the pizzarella's from lyon st.

Lam2861

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2008, 09:07:40 AM »
No,not related to the Pizzarella's, but i use to hang out with Janet Pizzarella when i was a teenager, and that girl was too wild for me, the things she use to do, was not my style, but i do know the whole family..

frankiethefox

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2008, 08:24:11 AM »
Hello,and where do you presently reside on Lyon Street?
I use to live at # 28, i was born and raised there..
After my dad passed away i left there in 81, i use to live right across the sand pit,and the barrel company..last house on the right..the 3 decker..
My maiden name is Loverro...ever heard of us?
I have 7 in my family,and i am the 6th one,and my name is Lisa..:)
I use to work at the Parkway Diner back in the day..do you ever go there?
They were always competitive with the Boulevard..lol , but how i had great times there..too bad that cant come back..
Ciao for now..
Lisa

Federica

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2008, 12:52:01 AM »
Hi everybody,
my name is Federica and I'll come in Worcester for a postgraduate corse at the Umass Medica Center from September 2008 to November 2008, can you help me to find italians in this town?

Michael Bellione

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2008, 01:48:25 PM »
I don't have any stories of my Italian heritage besides my father singing Dean Martin and other Italian love songs on the weekends while cooking spaghetti or something else he learned from my grandfather Tony Bellione.  I remember one summer visitinig my grandfather and him taking me down for my first "Frap" man that was good!  Reading all of these memories really makes me wish my children could have grown up in such a wonderful neighborhood and such a fantastic time.  Thank you all for sharing and maybe I can get back there one day and smell the smells, taste the tastes and see all the wonderful things you have mentioned.

God bless.

Michael.

K

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2008, 10:03:16 PM »
My grandfather was Perry Conte.  He was such an amazing man.  I miss him terribly.  Anyone have any stories?

Catino

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2011, 10:01:01 AM »
Does anyone remember the bakery on the corner of Shrewsbury Street and Risso Court? I cant remember the name even though I grew up on Risso Court.
Hi I just stumbled on this site while looking for info on my husbands family. They lived E entral stree when they first arrived and moved to Shelby street later on. Their house was on the part of Shelby street that is now 190.lol They moved out to Holden in the 60's. When I saw your post about someone named babe I thought maybe it was my Aunt. Everyone calls her babe and always has. Her real name is Mildred. Oh and my husband name is Catino anyone recognize that?
Carrie