Author Topic: Italian Recipes  (Read 24434 times)

Robin Patriarca

• Just Moved Here
Italian Recipes
« on: July 27, 2005, 07:27:23 AM »
I have two Anisette Cookie recipes:

This one is my families

Anisette Cookies

1/2 lb butter
8 cups flour
1 dozen eggs
21/4 cups sugar
4 tbsp baking powder
1 small bottle anisette extract

1. Melt butter and cool

2. Add eggs and beat, add extract

3. In seperate bowl mix dry ingredients

4. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour liquid ingredients a little at a time then mix well

5. Roll into a small balls (walnut size)

6. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets at 350 for 10 minutes

Icing for Anisette Cookies

For a 100 cookies:

1 box confectioners sugar
1tsp lemon extract
4 to 6 tbsp cold water
tint for pastel colors
non-parelles for decorating

Add a little water at time till desired consistency, should be fairly thin. Tint different colors. Line cookies on waxed paper and top each one with frosting and non-parelles. Allow to dry. Keep in air tight container.

*This one comes from a Worcester Polish Cookbook:

6 large eggs, well beaten
1stick butter melted
2 tbsp cooking oil
1tbsp anisette extract
1 cup sugar
5 to 6 cups flour (do not add all at once)
6 tsp baking powder

1. Place the beaten eggs in a large mixing bowl and while the eggs are still beating add melted shortening, oil, anisette and last the sugar. Mix unitl well blended.

2. Then, using your hands add the flour and baking powder until you get a good firm ball. Let it rest on a board for 10 to 15 minutes and then proceed.

3. Break off small pieces and roll like a pencil to form a knot or shape into balls or rings.

4. Bake on a greased cookie sheet in a preheated oven 375 for 12 to 15 mintues or until golden brown.

5. These also can be made into loaves, bake until brown, remove from cookie sheet and slice diagonally.

*Icing is the same

Both are equally good

Robin Patriarca

• Just Moved Here
Re: Italian Recipes
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 07:48:44 AM »
This is my families Italian sauce with meat

This sauce is mainly flavored by the meat you put into it...

The sauce:
2 28oz cans tomatoes crushed
4 can tomato paste
8 cans water (using the tomato paste cans)
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, basil, fresh parsley (all to taste)
3 large cloves garlic, chopped
olive oil for frying garlic
grated parmesan cheese (1/2 cup or so)
1/8 cup sugar

Meatballs:
1lb hamburger (not to lean, the meatballs won't hold together)
1lb ground pork
2 eggs
fresh chopped parsley
1 tbsp fennel seed
salt and pepper
2 cups bread crumbs or 4 slices bread soaked in water and torn up
1/4 cup or so parmesan cheese

2lbs of hot or sweet Italian sausage

Other meats optional:
Pork chops
Pig skin prepared like a braciole, sprinkle with garlic, parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. Roll up and secure with string.
chicken

Putting it all together:

1. For the sauce, fry the garlic in the olive oil (don't let them brown) just a few minutes to flavor the oil in a large stock pot.

2. Add the tomatoes and water, mix well then add all other sauce ingredients listed

3. Brown the sausage in a large frying pan and drain on paper towels.

4. Make the meatballs, mix all the ingredients together and roll into medium sized balls, large rather than small.

5. Put sausage and any other meats into the sauce before the meatballs. Gently put in meatballs last.

6. Bring the sauce to a simmer, being careful not to let it burn.

7. Simmer the sauce uncovered stirring occasionally 4 to 5 hours. If the sauce is allowed to burn it will ruin the whole sauce, that's all you'll taste (know done it before). But if you have it at the right simmer heat it'll be fine.

8. Toss the cooked spaghetti with sauce before serving (flavors the spaghetti) and serve with more sauce and meat.

9. Serve with lots of Italian bread and Salad

Note: My grandmother would put whatever meat was available into the sauce, anything from squid (calamari), tripe (cow stomach lining) to possum and squirrel. My grandfather liked to hunt : )

Patty C

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 04:31:16 PM »
;D YUM!  thank you both!

chiusano

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 08:42:26 AM »
;D YUM!  thank you both!
sounds very good thanks for sharing always looking for new italian recipes.

DesignRox

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 02:53:40 PM »
 :-*
Well, just to show ya what a wonderful invention the internet is.... I was searching for some information about the Perry Conte Trio, and bumped into your posting on Worcester Talk.  I am born and raised in Worcester.
Although these days, I live in Australia.   but that's another story.  It was your post which brought me to this website.  Though born in the late nineteen-forties, I lived in Worcester for twenty-three years.  My family lived on Townsend street until we bought a house in Main South on Apricot Street.  I went to the original Ludlow Street School, then transferred to the Gates Land School for 6th,7th and 8th Grade.  So I went to school with the same kids from kindergarten through eighth grade.  We lived there before there was a pool at Bennetts Field.  And there was no Webster Square Shopping Plaza then until 1960.  Our class painted a huge mural which went into the Elm Farm Supermarket when it opened there.  Long before Dunkin Donuts was across from Bennetts Field; there was an Arthur Treacher Fish & Chips place.  And before that, it was a Smithfields Ice Cream Shop.  One of my favorite summertime memories was getting our Saturday Night bath, in fresh pajamas, hair curled, and going for a ride in the evening to pick up an ice cream at Smithfields.  Then we would drive up to the Worcester Airport to see planes take off and land again.  And boy, lots of other families did the same as well, because we usually had to cruise for a parking space.  it was so marvelous to be out on evenings such as those.  feeling squeaky clean, almost brand new, and warm breezes blowing across my face as the electric blue lights from the runways glowed in the darkness.  What a treat those evenings were. Remember?

thatsanice

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 09:52:54 PM »
long way and years from worcester yeh the submarine races were something else i still go back almost every year perry was the older musician we were the younger group playing the teen dances in worc and surrounding towns,and then doing weddings,and showers,went to australia a fewv years back enjoyed ithave a merry christmas