Author Topic: Dee family in worcester  (Read 22747 times)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dee family in worcester
« on: June 15, 2005, 04:01:30 AM »
In my St. John's cemetery database i have found several Dee and Day (which appears to be an alternate spelling) burials
Michael Day  Garr_ v_ oone Parish of Carrick Beg co. Waterford died Aug. 3, 18__  age 35 yrs  (O'Flynn says he is from Fermer b.1813)

John Dee Co. Waterford born or died1848,  Bridget Kiley his wife born or died 1841,  Richard Dee 1863-1910

O'Flynn also mentions in his notes james Dee from Flews Co. Waterfordb. 25 Dec. 1814 arrived in Boston 20 Mar. 1839...he may have gotten this from naturalizations, which may have been in the newspaper.  O'Flynn was an 1870-1890's recorder of irish history & culture in worcester    any of these ring a bell?

worcmik

• Townie
Re: Dee family in worcester
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 04:29:31 AM »
I have a James Dee marrying a Mary or Margret Whalen on Aug. 12, 1841. (Fr. Fitton) A male Callahan and Mary Corcoran witnessed. James and Mary/MArgret appearently lost a child: James on Aug. 17, 1846 as the parents name's are James & Margret Dee in the town of Worcester's death records. This date means that the family used Tatnuck Cemetery (No St. John's Cemetery yet).
 "Rosanna" Dee died at age 31 on Sept. 9, 1836 She was the dau. of John & Mary Davis and the wife of James Dee, according to a stone in St. John's Cemetery. Notice that she died more than a decade before St. John's Cemetery was established. She, too, once rested at Tatnuck (est. 1835).
forgive my misspellings, J

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 02:17:27 AM »
I went to St. John's cemetery and got the burial record of Maurice Dee & his wife Mary Burke  buried in section Prudence B 59, so I could get approximations of death dates.  Maurice was buried Nov. 21, 1938   There's a thomas Dee buried Nov. 10, 1939, Mary Burke Dee was buried March 17 , 1954 (St. Pat's Day)    Their daughter married Joseph O'Connell  she (helen) buried March 25, 1981.  The only obit I could find was for Helen Dee O'Connell   Whose daughter Mary was a special ed. teacher for the worcester school system and her other daughter H. Denise Newton  ( Mrs. Richard) lives in Las Cruces New Mexico in 1981.  Hope this helps you, James.  I can send you the copy of what I have if you email me your mailing address to mer330@hotmail.com.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 03:49:29 PM »
I live in Barre.  Do you need death data for the Day who died here?  I do research on Barre irish and would be very interested in hearing more about this person..do you think you might be related to jreid who is a Dee descedant?  I think they're from wqaterford as well and i know Dee and Day are interchangeable.

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 09:12:12 PM »
Be careful with the Days back then, as it seems there was a Michael and Hanna (i think this is the Flannigan) that lost 1 yr-old Martin in Feb 1847; and a Michael and Hanora that lost a son John in April 1846. If you work out the birthdates, as recorded in the Town of Worcester's Death Records (p. 199 & 184 respectively), they aren't twins nor is there 9 months between them. One of the couples lost Mary Ann in 1844. All would have started in Tatnuck.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 02:51:00 AM »
I'll try to do some Barre research for you, unless you've done it already....

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 04:05:03 PM »
I have the death of Michael Day 29 March 1870 in Barre son of Dennis and Margaret.  I will have to look at valuation and taxes items and other things to try to spot anything else about him.

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 05:01:49 PM »
Merski,
Is there a "place of internment" column in the Barre death records c. 1870. If so where was Michael buried?
Colleen,
When did Mike and Hanora's Mary Ann die? Was she listed in the Barre death records?
I ask because the one that died in 1844 was listed in Worcester's death records, and I am trying to learn about how/from whom the record was created. Thanks, J

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2005, 12:23:38 PM »
Colleen,
 You must have been to to the Worcester clerks office since the inventory that was conducted a couple years ago.

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2005, 12:34:58 PM »
Colleen,
A couple of times a Dee/Day shows up as witnesses:
Michael Day and Ann Leatham (A "witness" to many unions) witnessed the marriage of James Ryan to Agnes Houlahan on Jan. 25, 1845
Patrick Day and Ellen McGrath witnessed the marriage of Michael McGedia to Mary McHugh or McKue on Dec. 19, 1848
James Dee and Maria Underwood witnessed the marriage of John Ryan to Elizabeth Mahan on Jan. 7, 1844
Hanora Day and A. Mooney witnessed the marriage of Patrick Coffy to Mary Day on Oct. 2, 1847 (They are in Ward 4 in both the 1850 & 1860 census.)
Mary Dee and Michael Mellon witnessed the marriage of Tom Brannon to Bridget Haring on June 24, 1845

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 01:47:14 AM »
Went to town clerk's office last night.   Michael Day 55 years old died in Barre 29 March 1870 from weakness in the lungs   born in Ireland son of Dennis and Margaret      Occupation:Farmer  Going to historical society and will see if they have anything there...

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 03:11:35 AM »
Found a Dee/Day descendant on the Crotty board at Genforum!  Advised her to jump on and read this board...she's related to capecolleen!  Needs help with the family stuff!

kellyday

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 09:23:33 AM »
Hi Everyone!

I received a notice from Mary Ellen Radziewicz alerting me to this discussion.  I am indeed in Ireland right now, Dublin to be exact, researching the Day/Crotty/Powers/Flanigan family lines. I've been to the National Library of Ireland and to the National Archives of Ireland.  Unfortunately, despite the wealth of information I brought with me, I have not had any success so far.  I will be driving to Co. Waterford tomorrow where I will spend the weekend.  Here's what I'm researching though...my gggrandfather, Michael Day, was born on 3/13/1813 in Co. Waterford, possibly in the civil parish of Fenoagh/R.C. Parish of Carrickbeg.  The R.C. baptismal records for that parish only go back to 1842, so no luck on the birth records there.  His brother, Patrick Day, was born in 1822 in Co. Waterford.  Michael & Patrick's parents were Dennis & Margaret O'Toole.  Michael was married to Hannah Flanigan, which I got from my ggrandfather's death certificate but have not found the record/place of their marriage, and they did NOT have a child named Mary Ann.  Their children were Margaret, John (died in infancy), Catherine (died in her early 20's), James (my ggrandfather), Ellen a.k.a. Nellie (married James Crotty), & Michael Dennis.  Michael Sr. remarried after Hannah's death in 1864 to a woman named Ellen Flynn.  They had a son named John, who also died before adulthood.  They lived in Worcester until the late 1860's but then moved to a farm in Barre.  Michael died in 1870 and his will was not probated until 1888, with my ggrandfather James as the executor. 

I have searched quite a few parish records here looking for information on Dennis & Margaret Day, but the microfilm that contains the parish records will make your head spin!  Plus, they could have been married in Margaret's parish church, so not sure if they were actually married in Co. Waterford.  I have noted quite a few Day/Dea/Crotty/Flanigan births/deaths for Carrickbeg and for Portlaw Parish (adjacent to Carrickbeg), but still no luck so far.  However, I will most likely have a good running start when I travel to Co. Waterford and I can also talk to the folks at the Waterford Heritage Center.  I'll be staying at a B&B just to the north of Waterford City and I'll be on the run all weekend.  I fly back to Dallas on Monday the 18th. 

I really love it here and will be sorry to leave, but I'll be glad to sleep in my own bed.

Kelly Day

PS:  Greetings Helen D. (a.k.a. capecolleen)!!!!

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 09:52:44 AM »
In Reference to the Courtney family:
"The child count went down because the girls married(Nellie my great married James Crotty).The Merrifield St. Courtneys' are my line in both Julia's obit and Daniel's the Merrfield St. address was given. Frances moved first to Rhode Island and I think he boarded with my maternal gr grandmother which was a total surprise...."

Now I'm totally confused, where there two James Crotty married to Nellie (One Courtney, one Day)?

Cheryl

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2005, 02:09:57 PM »
Well I went to the historical society and didn't find much... in the 1870 Valuation and taxes under non-residents   it says" Michael Day, heirs of Worcester, house $350 Barn $150 J.A. Stone place 61 a (acres?) $800     Couldn't find anything else!  Worcester county deeds has records of transfers.  I imagine that Michael Day bought the J.A. Stone farm with 61 acres, a house and a barn.  Because I couldn't find anything earlier, I'm wondering if he purchased it from Stone or his heirs in 1869 or 1870 and then died!   By the way the internment was worcester for Michael Day, don't think I told you that.  Also you should check all of the Dee info...could you be related?????