Author Topic: irish connections festival  (Read 7139 times)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
irish connections festival
« on: June 06, 2005, 03:02:32 PM »
This weekend is the Irish Connections festival in canton Mass at the Irish Cultural Center.  We went last year and vowed to go back for Saturday and Sunday.  Theres step dancing, set dancing, storytelling and some of the best irish music this side of erin.  I'm hoping you'll attend.  It's $15 a day to attend but believe me, it's worth it.  There will also be a couple of talks by TIARA about irish genealogy.  I'm hoping to be at the tent from 2-3 each day to meet with worcester mass. irish.  Just google "irish connections festival" and I'll think you'll find it.  I'm also going to give away the address for this forum to get more participants.  Wish me luck!  See you there!

worcmik

• Townie
Re: irish connections festival
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 05:40:55 PM »
So.... M. E..... how was the weekend ? This bulletin board has been growing, did many folks at the festival learn about this forum? Did ya' learn stuff, meet nice people? dish.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 02:48:14 AM »
It was beastly hot, so we drank gallons of water rather than pints of Guinness or Harp.  The music was pretty good to incredible.  We liked Gan Bua out of chicago and we also liked the Glengarry Boyz who were from canada and played celtic music and had a great fiddle player and of all things, scotttish bagpipe player!

I went and hung out at the TIARA tent hoping to meet up with some Worcester Irish and met one gentleman who was a kelly from county Kerry.  I looked at the Forester's project that they were working on.  I didn't go to their lectures because the music was very important to my husband and me.  I did encourage them to hold a meeting in Worcester and suggested they contact Holy Cross College.  Wouldn't that be great?

Worcmik, maybe we should plan another meeting at the worcester library and get a speaker for this summer...I'm moving out of our house at the end of this month and probably by mid july we should be settled in enough to do other things.  Waddya say?

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 06:44:45 AM »
M. E.
I am willing to bet that summer is not a good time for many, Sept. 17, 2005, falls on a Saturday and it is only six months from St. Patrick's Day. I think the meeting should include a recap of the last (Worc. Public Library's resources), a section on other resources out there (Worc. Historical Museum) and a speaker on a topic. If you and I can combine out databases there may be enough there to present. We should start a new "Topic" "upcoming lecture" when we find a venue. There we can find out what the interested want to hear about. What do you , and all of you, think?

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 02:47:55 AM »
worcmik I think it's a grand idea!  Could you set up the new posting to get ideas?  I'm in the midst of moving out of our house but by July 15th or so, I'll have time on my hands.  Do you think we could get a free speaker?  Have it at the Library?

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 05:05:47 PM »
Merski, et. al.
      I don't think we will have a difficult time finding a venue, still I will ask Nancy at Worc. Public Library, next time it rains. I have been very busy since my dad died, as I've taken over his pest control biz., hence the need for rain to have some time for myself. He was a third generation American-born, fifth to die in Worcester.
     I will start a "new topic" soon, something like "Ideas..Speaker/Topic for a Sept. Meeting." I hope some of the people that have found this site will weigh-in.   Worc. Mick.