Author Topic: Worcester Irish 1840-1900  (Read 23961 times)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Worcester Irish 1840-1900
« on: December 29, 2004, 05:57:11 PM »
I've amassed a database of irish (hundreds of names) who lived in worcester and where thy're from in Ireland.  Call me crazy, but it's an interesting project.  I'm interested in helping people find their roots with this material and also writing to and meeting fellow Irish researchers.  Who knows...someday I just may learn where my own iish roots were from!

JEFFREY L. DOYLE

Re: Worcester Irish 1840-1900
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 05:53:46 AM »
 looking for family member that lives in the cherry valley area   worcester mass.

Marianne Dowen

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 10:52:36 PM »
Out of state, seeking info....My great-grandpa's name was Edward Buxton, he had a son named Lewis David Buxton, who married Mary Loretta Carlson (Irish). They had a few children, Lewis David Buxton, Jr;  Everett E. Buxton, Phyllis, and Dolly.  They lived in Worcester, I think on Main St.....possibly Lincoln.  Went to an episcopalian church.  JR - (my dad) married Dorothy Goodrow.  Anyway, I can't seem to find info on any of them....I THINK my grandparents are both buried in the veteran's cemetary (Leominster??) It's close to Worcester.  My dad JR was born in 1923 I believe in Hahneman Hospital.   Please help if you can.....my mom is VERY sick with cancer.....wanted to find info before she passes.......God Bless You!  md

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 05:16:47 PM »
Go to google and type "buxton family genealogy" and get on the page whose address has picket fence in it.  carlson is a swedish name, not irish.  Try to get census from 1930 to verify if loretta was irish.  Buxton may be english, from what I can tell.  I have no info on Buxtons from my research.  That's about all I can suggest...good luck

patrickoleary

• Just Moved Here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 01:07:32 PM »
please send me your email address.

patrickoleary

• Just Moved Here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 01:24:03 PM »
Hi Merski,
wrote a great e-mail to you. took an hour, 2 finger typist, then lost it,
so here's the short version, our g grandfather john jones arrived in Boston from Queenstown in april 1911, on his immigration record he gave his sister's (AnnieWhite) address 53 Canterbury St Worcester, Ma as his future residence. The trail ends there, we need help!!!
I know this is out side your time frame but is there anything you can do. I would be willing to help you on this side of the pond.
thank you
monica  condon                        and                       brother   Patrick O'Leary
moncon@eircom
the 2 fingers behind the keyboard.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 01:53:54 AM »
I'll see what I can do...

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 12:57:33 PM »
Monica, Patrick, can you give me an approximate birth year for John Jones, your great grandfather and I'll try to find him in the 1920 U.S. census.  Also do you know what kind of work he did?

patrickoleary

• Just Moved Here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 05:27:33 AM »
Monica, Patrick, can you give me an approximate birth year for John Jones, your great grandfather and I'll try to find him in the 1920 U.S. census.  Also do you know what kind of work he did?

Hi Merski, We do not have a birth date for john Jones as we are still trying to find were he was born.
we know it was in Ireland through his British Army records,we believe he was born sometime between April-June 1873.
He served 12 years with the British Army,he spent 3 years in South Africa (Boar War) on leaving the Army he gives his occupation as a Labour.
thank you for your help.
Monica Patrick.

patrickoleary

• Just Moved Here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 05:34:58 AM »

Hi Merski, We do not have a birth date for john Jones as we are still trying to find were he was born.
we know it was in Ireland through his British Army records,we believe he was born sometime between April-June 1873.
He served 12 years with the British Army,he spent 3 years in South Africa (Boar War) on leaving the Army he gives his occupation as a Labour.
thank you for your help.
Monica Patrick.

Hi Merski,We just found out that John Jones was born on the 29 of september 1873 in Cork City Ireland,and on leving the British Army he became a Steamship Labour.

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 03:16:09 AM »
Merski,
I found this family.  Will send information to your email.
Cheryl

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 03:27:06 AM »
Cheryl, why don't you post what you found...it's ok to have as many people helping theres folks as possible.  Monica & Patrick, why don't you shift into the new irish genealogy posting.  I think I found the marriage of Annie Jones with David white  it was in Lynn in 1884.  I don't have any details because I couldn't find the Lynn microfiche at the WPL (worcester public Library)  Does anyone have access to that info who could do a lookup?  I also thought about trying to find david white's death, burial and obituary, which might give some clues to where his brother in law, John Jones was.   I did chech worcester city directories and house directories to try to find John Jones.   Sometimes patrick & Monica, someone 9an immigrant) may put someone's name down as a destination, but may have no intention of living with them more that a few weeks to get settled.

loreto

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 01:14:22 PM »
I've amassed a database of irish (hundreds of names) who lived in worcester and where thy're from in Ireland.  Call me crazy, but it's an interesting project.  I'm interested in helping people find their roots with this material and also writing to and meeting fellow Irish researchers.  Who knows...someday I just may learn where my own iish roots were from!

Hi, writing from Ireland, just wondering if you would have any info on Michael Cronin birth year 1842, came to U.S possibly 1878 after his widow ellen o`Donoghue died here in Killarny, Co Kerry Ireland.  His son Patrick came to Worcester, Mass in 1911 to his cousin John O`Donoghue at Foster Street, Worceter, Mass in 1911. Family interviews have the story that Patrick missed his father Michael in a Public house .  Patrick (my gr.father) returned again to Ireland possibly in 1911.  Any info on Michael Croinin would be greeat!.  John o`Donoghue is buried in St John`s cemetery. He had grand son Robert M Bergin died june 1990 aged 72.
Thanks Padraig

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 01:39:25 AM »
I'll see what I can find... Please post this again under worcester irish genealogy (which is further down in the forum) under the heading that you create called Cronin ( you might get more views and help that way).   Do you believe that Michael Cronin your great grandfather is also buried in worcester?  Do you know what he did for work or if he remarried or had brought other children with him?

Laurie K

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 04:03:19 PM »
Hi,
    Well I wonder if you can tell me anything about the Hallihans-on Douglas Street?
I believe that Timothy was the father and Patrick was the son. I am pretty sure that they came from Waterford, Ireland. But not sure of when they came over.
Thanks,
L.King