Author Topic: Millbury Street School  (Read 13505 times)

Judi Ann Remuck

Millbury Street School
« on: December 25, 2004, 08:45:35 AM »
anyone out there attend Millbury Street school way back in late 60's?  I think its a Head Start now or something..anyway anyone out there...would love to chat

Darlene B.

Re: Millbury Street School
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 10:45:22 AM »
Millbury St. School is still there. The original school was closed and the Quinsigamond School combined with it. Quinsigamond School was then added onto to accomodate 800+ students in grades preschool  to grade 6. It is now Quinsigamond Community School.The library that was next to Quinsigamond School is still there but no longer a library but the schools cafeteria. The school now takes the whole width between Stebbins St. and Falmouth St. It is huge!
The old Millbury St. School is now used for something else, not sure what.

chip t

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 01:36:28 PM »
i went to millbury st around 64 to68 dont remember to much but there was a teacher name mrs sweeny and i think the princibles name was dillon there was a house right nexts door and the swett family live there  and leanas market was on the corner of harlem st

Bobbo

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 08:37:49 PM »
I was there 1958 to 1961. Before that it was Ward Street School. Mr Cotter and Mr Mullins I remember well.We used to play baseball at recess with a rubber ball in the school yard. Up the hill was a wall with a fence on top where a three decker was. If we last a ball we'd have to come up with $.25 cents to buy a new one at that corner store. Clapping chaulk board erasers was a "cool" voluntary job. We also had the JFK fitness program and patches were won depending the level achieved. Milk came in glass bottles with cardboard stopper and paper cover delivered by milk truck. And a copying machine was a inked cylinder roller that you attached a stencil created by a typewriter with no ribbon. I also remember the Duncan yo-yo man who came every year to sell them and sponsor a contest.  After school fun was thowing dirt bombs into the Blackstone River.  And a trip to the Boston Museum of Science was way cool! ;D

bowzmann

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 04:16:03 PM »
    Hey Bobo, it sounds like you & I might have been classmates at Millbury ST. School.  I went there about the same time as you and can relate to all the things you mentioned. Besides the teachers you mentioned, whose classes I was in, Ialso remember Miss Shaunessy (1st grade), Miss King (2nd grade), Miss Gilligan (3rd grade)
  I think it was Mr. Roy in 5th grade,Mullins & Cotter in 4th & th. There was Miss Sweeney who taught the "special" class. When I started, Mr. Callan was principal, he later retired and Mr. Feeley took his place. Feeley was also the football coach, as Cotter was baseball coach. Remember the "all-purpose" room?  Wasn't it great when we
were able to get out of class & go down there for a movie, or watch a rocket launch on tv? Also, had the Halloween Party in there every year. After Millbury St, I went up the hill to "Prov", then on to Doherty, from which I graduated in 1970. We must know each other or at least have common friends...would love to hear back from you !!