Author Topic: Belmont Hill???  (Read 82018 times)

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Belmont Hill???
« on: December 13, 2004, 09:24:48 AM »
I grew up on Bell Hill (Eastern Ave) in the 60's, anyone here familiar with that area or remember me?? I currently live in Calif. My maiden name is Bellione (Diane). Would love to talk to someone from that era or anyone who lived in that area............

timcoyle50

• Just Moved Here
Re: Belmont Hill???
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 07:39:18 AM »
Well I went to Belmont St School from 1960 - 1966. Know anyone from there?

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 09:05:32 AM »
Boy does that take me back!! Actually I went to Elizabeth St  School...........then on to North High. I graduated in 1970....thanks for the reply! :D

timcoyle50

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 05:27:36 PM »
Well then you probably knew most of my classmates from Belmont. Most went to North High. I was the only one who went to Burncoat. Boy you know I can still remember most of their names too!

Frankie

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 06:08:29 PM »
Hi Diane,

I grew up on Shrewsbury Street and went to Gage Street School but attended Belmomt Street School once per week for woodworking class. We use to walk up Elizabeth Street to Bell Hill. I had a lot of friends from that area and at that time the whole east side was neat and friendly. I went to North High and graduated in 64 and had aunts who lived on Merrifield Street. I can still rememebr Bell Pond like it was yesterday. I have been in Florida for many years but always remember those days.

Frankie

suzandersn

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 07:14:33 PM »
All my friends went to Venerini. I was the one who ended up at Sacred Heart and graduated from there in 1966. Living near San Francisco now but have a lot of fond memories of the area--Bell Pond, Shrewsbury St. hangouts, Speedy's Drive in, the fireworks at Green Hill Park. Going  back to Worcester in a week to see if the meories are as good as reality. I doubt it.

Barb Knox

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 08:01:15 AM »
Have fun on your trip.  Give us an update on what has changed, etc.  I'd forgotton the fireworks at the park.  Loved that park when I was a teenager, as well as hanging out at Speedy's.  I wasn't from that area, I lived near City Hospital from about age 3 or so until I got married in 1965...moved to the Palm Springs area in 1978 and it's home.

Barb (Siergie) Knox

Frankie

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 12:48:11 PM »
Hello to All,

Wow! --- Speedys, I rememeber Lapsons Dairy and grew up on Shrewsbury Street(Risso Court). Will always remember all the great family stores on the street and those warm summer nights getting lemonade from Steves Spa.

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 03:20:51 PM »
OMG you guys are taking me back!! I just got back from Worcester today. I went up to my old neighborhood (Eastern Ave) and could NOT  BELIEVE how disgusting it has become. It almost made me weep! Absolutely horrible. Graffiti, gang bangers, dope dealers, you name it. I felt terrible. Worcester is a place I could never go back to. I've lived in Calif. for the last 30 years and now in Missouri. It was great to see my family but that's about it. And as far as Bell Pond, I remember it vividly too. Very precious memories. By the way I graduated from North High in 1970........I love reading these posts!!
Diane Bellione Morgan

Jenna

• Just Moved Here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 05:46:22 PM »
OMG you guys are taking me back!! I just got back from Worcester today. I went up to my old neighborhood (Eastern Ave) and could NOT  BELIEVE how disgusting it has become. It almost made me weep! Absolutely horrible. Graffiti, gang bangers, dope dealers, you name it. I felt terrible. Worcester is a place I could never go back to. I've lived in Calif. for the last 30 years and now in Missouri. It was great to see my family but that's about it. And as far as Bell Pond, I remember it vividly too. Very precious memories. By the way I graduated from North High in 1970........I love reading these posts!!
Diane Bellione Morgan
:)

Jenna

• Just Moved Here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 06:20:07 PM »
I grew up on Bell Hill (Eastern Ave) in the 60's, anyone here familiar with that area or remember me?? I currently live in Calif. My maiden name is Bellione (Diane). Would love to talk to someone from that era or anyone who lived in that area............
:)
Boy, are you all making me me feel old! Well, I guess I am at that. I grew up on the Hill. I went to Elizabeth St. School, Class of 1948!  Former City Manager McGrath was the principal, Miss Donnelly was 8th grade teacher.  So.........any of your parents live on Belmont Hill? I went to East Kendall St. School when we lived on Eastern Ave. Then later, Elliott St. If you all have fond memories of your years on the Hill, you aint heard nothing yet. The Hill was the home of Armenians, Italians, Swedes and Finnish, Irish, and Yankees.   In  the 40's and 50's it was a nice, clean, friendly place to live. Not much crime that I recall. My brothers did get in trouble for hitching a ride on the trolley...#24 Belmont....think that was in the mid 40's. Later some one (I aint mentioning names here) chopped down a small pine tree in front of Venerini, giving one family  a Christmas tree like no other.  Olson's Spa, Skiests, The 5&10, Gooligians, I think.  Jakes market on Edward St. The 50's were a bit wilder...I was 14 or 15, hanging out with kids around the school on summer nights. Sitting on the wall, sneaking around the back to have a cigaret. I won't bore you with anymore old-time happenings. But, have a favor to ask. If anyone knows anyone who might have class pictures taken in the late 1940's I sure would love to have a copy.  Thanks much.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 06:25:03 PM by Jenna »

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 04:25:25 AM »
Hi Jenna.............well once again someone took me back down memory lane. I sure do remember Skiets!! We used to go there everyday for penny candy. I don't recall seeing it when I went "home" last month. My sister went to Venerini back in the 60's. Remember Bell Pond?? I wish I had taken the time to go there on this trip. I wonder if it still exists?? If so it's probably pretty dirty!! We used to love going there every day. I don't even recall lifeguards when I was a kid. Yet it was so safe, or so it seemed. Was Ms. Gatti at Elizabeth St when you were there?? I am a youngster, I think. I was in the class of "66. Good talking to you!

Jenna

• Just Moved Here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 05:29:17 PM »
Hi Diane,
You're about 20 years younger than me, by 1966 I was married with 5 kids and one due in 1968. My oldest was born on 1952, so probably close to your age. Yeah, Skiests is gone, think he just died couple years ago. All the  stores in that block from Edward St. down to what was Liberty St are different business now. From Edward on up to Bell Pond looks about the same. The 3 deckers are pretty run down and that whole section over to Shrewsbury St. is seedy and crime-ridden. But, I'm sure there are a lot of good people living there too. Bell Pond is still there and crowded with swimmers every summer. The weirdest sight to me is the high-rise apartments on the eastern side of the pond. And now another school is being built across Belmont St. on the corner Skyline Drive wher Green Hill begins. I'm pretty sure Miss gatti was the Art teacher when I was at Elizabeth, maybe not. She was also an Art teacher at Commerce when I was there. Nice talking.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 05:32:29 PM by Jenna »

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 04:10:58 AM »
HI Jenna, well one of your children must be my age, I was also born in 1952........I am curious!! Any chance you could tell me his/her name??  When I was growing up I lived at the corner of Farwell and Eastern Ave. Do you recall that area? I wish I had gone by Bell Pond when I was in Worcester (just  a few weeks ago!) It would have brought back so many wonderful fun times. Those were certainly the good days where people seemed more "normal" (for lack of a better word). My friends and I used to go to a club at the bottom of Bell Hill (where the "rotary" was/is and we would walk home at midnight w/o the least fear! Can't imagine doing that today. Again, if you don't mind I would love to know the name of your child born the same year as me....thanks so much
God Bless
Diane

Jenna

• Just Moved Here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 05:56:21 PM »
Hi Diane,
My oldest daughterwas born in November of 1952, but she absolutely flips out when I don't keep things private online. I didn't live on the Hill after I married. In fact we lived in Florida for a couple years and this daughter started school there. Later went to Burncoat Jr. then graduated from Burncoat High. The rest of my kids went to Harlow, then Burncoat. Her and her sister and friends  hung out at the Comic Strip at Lincoln Sq. in the 60's. Think that's the club you mentioned. Ciao.