Author Topic: Belmont Hill???  (Read 82662 times)

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Belmont Hill???
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2006, 05:50:53 PM »
Hello Dan, I used to be chummy with Susan G.... wonder what became of her??? Any idea?? A few of those names sound familiar. Neil, thanks for that picture of the firestation, brought back great memories. Does anyone remember Diane Fowler? Or Jimmy and Billy Reilly???

Wormtown

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2008, 07:31:42 PM »
Hey Diane,

I remember Skiests very well. It was in a strip of very old storefronts along with Frudy's Package Store (before Frudy's moved up to the corner of Edwards Street), a fish & chip place, and I think, a distribution place for the Worcester Telegram & Gazette. I do recall the penny candy!- Squirrel Nut Caramels (I wish I had ten pounds of 'em now), Necco Wafers, those stupid wax things with the kool-aid in them.

Further down Belmont on the right toward Lincoln Sq. were Our Lady of Fatima and Belmont Baptist churches. I went to Belmont Baptist for a long time as a kid and played for their basketball team (I was pathetic). Before they built those high-rise public housing flats on the left, there used to be brownstone apartment buildings with big stone front porches and a John Jarvey TV repair place on the first floor of one of them. At the very foot of Belmont, at the rotary, were two taverns side by side. The Somerset Cafe was a haunt of my dad's and the Valhalla next door was where his sister, my Aunt Betty worked as a waitress in the daytime. I remember mooching free cokes with Maraschino cherriies from Aunt Betty at the Valhalla on my way to the Boy's Club.

I remember the Comic Strip but I was always too young to go there. You have a few years on me! I do remember sneaking into the Worcester Auditorium many times to see car shows and such. I left Worcester in 1972 when my dad died; I was 16 so most of my universe had to be within walking dsitance.

Do you remember the carnival that they used to hold every year at Mt. Carmel church at the foot of Queen Anne's [?] hill?
Was it Gage Street School that was at that end of Eastern Ave? I remember that the school building came right up to the Eastern Ave. sidewalk.

Diane, you have to validate a childhood memory I have. On Saturday or Sunday mornings, there was a children's show on TV called Boomtown. It was basically the Bozo format but instead of a clown, the star was a cowboy named Rex Trailer with a sidekick named Pancho. They would run Tom Terrific and Davy and Goliath cartoons within the show. Do you recall this show or is it just a grotesque dream I had?

I've read your other posts about how seedy and run down the old neighborhood is now, but I suppose that it was inevitable. We see these places populated by ghosts of people living and gone, but the residents there now don't see them. Virtually all of my family has passed on now: so I often get all sad and melancholy when I think about those years, but they are indelible mental pictures we will carry to the grave.

I suppose that I should wrap this up for now. There was a girl named Susan Turcotte who lived at my end of Eastern Ave. I was best friends with her younger brother Bobby. She was very pretty with dark, straight hair. She was a few years older than me so maybe she was in your circle.

Bye for now,

DanG

Who was your coach at belmont baptist. Was it Bob Pallanius

timcoyle50

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2009, 07:17:55 AM »
I grew up on Bell Hill (Eastern Ave) in the 60's, anyone here familiar with that area or remember me?? I currently live in Calif. My maiden name is Bellione (Diane). Would love to talk to someone from that era or anyone who lived in that area............

Do you remember Jerry Belliveau?? He married my oldest daughter's God Mother Irene Johnson from Shrewsbury. Well sad to report he passed away in April after a long battle with cancer. Even thought we're only 20 miles apart here in SW Fla we never did get together, Sadly!

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2009, 02:25:30 PM »
Hi Tim, it's been ages since I've been on this board..........I guess I just forget about it....do you know offhand if there are any more new members from Bell Hill???

timcoyle50

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2009, 03:50:55 PM »
Hi Tim, it's been ages since I've been on this board..........I guess I just forget about it....do you know offhand if there are any more new members from Bell Hill???

Not that I've seen. I haven't been here for 6+ months either. Hey did we know each other from school??

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2009, 05:12:33 PM »
I don't think so, I graduated from North in 1970...what about you?

(MAIDEN NAME Carolynn D.) was Towle

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2011, 01:34:08 PM »
there use to be quite the rivalry tween speedys an flying saucer off rt 20 and greenwood st
12YRS. St. PETERS SCHOOLING/CLASS OF 63/MAIN SO. 1010 COMMERCIAL GROUP/WARD SEC. SCHOOL/CB CALL NAME "COBRA LADY"/NATIVE AMER. TRIBAL AFFILIATED/NATIVE NAME INITIALS.. AWS.

Cheyalee

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2013, 08:13:40 AM »
Did you happen to hear or know of a young man that jumped or fell off a building around 1977 in the Bell Hill area and died?