Author Topic: Belmont Hill???  (Read 82012 times)

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Belmont Hill???
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2006, 07:38:37 AM »
Hi Tim, yeah, I avoid that candy now, too. Too bad we can't eat the way we used to as kids uh?

timcoyle50

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2006, 10:17:01 AM »
Oh yeah .. to bad we can't do a lot of what we could when younger. Hey did you know a Gerry Beliveau?? I think he lived on Rodney St

DnlJmsGrnfrs

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2006, 02:56:49 PM »
Tim,

I just might have to pester you sometime for the email of that bulk candy store. iI haven't had a Nut Caramel in probably thirty-five years!

Frankie

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2006, 04:39:33 PM »
Hi Tim,

I grew up on Shrewsbury Street and now live in Coral Springs Fla.  The east side was a great place to grow up in.

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2006, 04:42:55 PM »
Hi Frankie, where on Shrewsbury St did you grow up???? My 85 year old Italian mom still goes there to those old stores. I feel like I've walked down memory lane with you guys, thanks so much!

DnlJmsGrnfrs

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2006, 04:47:31 PM »
Diane,

Hello again. I am astounded that you know Susan Turcotte! Would you please give her my email address the next time you talk and pass on that I have been trying to locate her brother Robert or sister Elaine for years now and I would love to hear from her?

To answer a few of your questions in your last post, I came to Louisiana in 1972 to live with my mom when my dad died. He and my mom had split up a couple years before and I stayed with dad and my brother Bill. I joined the Coast Guard from here, stayed in five years, then left the service and went to college on the G.I. Bill. I met and married my wife Rose while going to school. She had three kids from an earlier marriage, all of which are grown now and who have given us nine grandkids. On any given weekend, I have two or three of them camped out and under foot at my house. It’s wonderful!

Weren’t those three-deckers interesting dwellings? I lived in three of them growing up and although those tenements would seem impossibly cramped to me now, every one of them had a front and back porch, front and back hall, and a kitchen pantry- refinements you don’t find in too many modern homes.  I remember how people would string up Christmas lights on their front porches and the whole street would be lit up from them.
A lot of the streetlights in Worcester back then had been converted from old gaslight fixtures, and I am ashamed to say that one of the pastimes of my renegade friends and I was to try to put out the bulb with a stone. The only thing I can say in my defense is that I was a lousy shot and I don’t believe that I cost the City of Worcester too much in light bulbs!

Isn’t it revolting that all of those magnificent brick school buildings like East Kendall Street, Belmont Street, Grafton St. Jr. High and probably dozens of others  had to be pulled down for PARKING LOTS?  Sometimes I really despair that our country will ever reach adulthood as a nation.

I hear a wee voice calling for Pap-Paw from another room, so I guess that I’ll close for now. That email address for Susan is djgrnfrs@cox.net. It’s probably not very wise to put it out like this but I am so loaded with junk anyway I just destroy it without a thought.

Warm Regards,

DanG

Frankie

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2006, 02:08:10 AM »
Hi Diane,

I lived on Risso Court which is across the street from the Boulavard Diner or just across the street from Plum Street. I went to Gage Street School/ and then to North High, so I grew up smack in the middle of the good old street. I played in the New Breed which was the house band at the Comic Strip but my memories of the area are just wonderful especially in those days. I have been away from there for a long time but my dad still lives there and resides on Tampa Street , off of Plantation Street.
I am now living in Coral Springs Florida and have been here for some time and get back to Worcester once a year or so and some of the old areas are justa blight but that is coomon in so many areas but sad for all of us. I really enjoy this site and stumbled across it a few month ago.
You all write so many things that take me back and think abouit how great the east side of Worcester was and still is in many ways.
Its really nice talking with you
Frank

timcoyle50

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2006, 05:45:42 AM »
Tim,

I just might have to pester you sometime for the email of that bulk candy store. iI haven't had a Nut Caramel in probably thirty-five years!

Boy I doubt they have an email address, and I can't think of it's name but if you want to do a little research it's on Cleveland Ave in North Fort Myers Florida 33903. I haven't been in it for awhile but I'm in the plaza often so I'll look. My Travel Agency has a Worcester phone where you can leave a message if you want to. It's 508-635-2464. It's a web base phone so just leave a message.

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2006, 05:50:24 AM »
Hi Dan, yes those 3 deckers were really amazing when you think about it! They were roomy and always had big front and back porches, a cellar, hallways, etc. But I never really liked living there as opposed to living in a single family home. For some strange reason my parents never bought a house. We lived in those 3 deckers till I moved out at 22. Thankfully my parents moved away from there just in time before they got really bad. Still breaks my heart at what's happened to the old neighborhood. Let's post a little more often and go back down memory lane, it's wonderful. take care till next time and God Bless.
diane

Barb Knox

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2006, 08:23:06 AM »
I remember Rex Trailer - in fact, when I worked for the T&G their annual children's Christmas party featured him.  My boys were small and I recall that he was not very "user friendly" although the show he put on was pretty good.  The party was held in the auditorium and I think it was 1974 or so.

I grew up in the Castle Park area of the city.  It was not a great neighborhood then, and it's very bad now as I understand.  I live in the Palm Springs, Ca area but my two brothers are still in Worcester.  One is a postman, I'm not sure about the other.  I graduated from South High School in 1964.

Barb (Siergie) Knox

DnlJmsGrnfrs

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2006, 09:12:14 AM »
Thank you, Barb

I might have gone to my grave thinking that Boomtown was some bizarre hallucination or that someone had dropped LSD into my Moxie!

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2006, 03:38:05 PM »
LOL about Boomtown!! I sure remember that too. Do you all remember Bozo?? And the Seinfeld episode where "George" was having a fit about no one knowing Bozo the Clown?? Boy those were the good old days, I remember watching Bozo every night at 5 p.m. Wonder if he's still alive???

Barb Knox

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2006, 07:34:19 AM »
Nope, Boomtown definitely existed, it was one of my brothers' favorite shows.  Everyone remembers Bozo  ;D   Went to a show in Whitinsville(I think) where he was appearing and he was great!  Big red nose, big shoes, big hair...

Anyone remember Big Brother - it seems I'm a lot older than you two so...  Watched him a noontime when I was home from school (we went home for lunch).  The big deal with his show was that every day we raised our glasses of milk for "a toast to the president of the United States", a picture of Dwight D. Eisenhower as I recall. 

Barb

Neil_H_Donahue

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2006, 11:26:07 AM »
Rex Trailer info link
http://www.rextrailer.tv/
Coming to Boston

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!