Author Topic: Belmont Hill???  (Read 82017 times)

Jenna

• Just Moved Here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Belmont Hill???
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 06:04:54 PM »
P.S.
By the way....Sandy Lamorey is my cousin's daughter. I don't know her married name.The last I heard she lived in California but can't be sure. Her parents have both been ill and we haven't kept in touch but if and when I see another in-law who can help I'll let you know.
J

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 03:54:17 AM »
Jenna, your daughter is absolutely right about keeping things private so I understand, and if she went to Burncoat most likely I don't know her. ( I used to go to the Comic Strip and actually WALK home at midnight with my friends) and we never had anything to fear! Try that today, I don't think so!! Good talking to you......
diane

Frankie

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 06:55:08 PM »
Hi Jenna,

I happened to read your message and just wanted to see if you were a Comic Strip regular ,in those good old days. I played in the house band and often think of how great things were in those days. I agree with you about how nice it was to walk around without  the worries of these days. I use to walk from the Lincoln Square Boys Club / down Summer Street and to Shewrsbury Street with no cares at all. I can and often do think and appreciate growing up ion those times . Its nice to hear and read about Worcester especially since I have been away from there for so long.
There were so many great areas in that part of Worcester --from the east side on.

Frankie

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 07:58:34 PM »
Jenna, I have been trying to find Sandy Lamory for years, I was good friends with her when we were growing up. She had a cousin named Wayne Morris, do you know him??? Maybe I will try and find him and he can help me. If there is any way you can help me I would appreciate it. thanks so much
diane bellione morgan

DnlJmsGrnfrs

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 09:38:19 AM »
Diane:

Your name is not familiar, but we had to have bumped shoulders somewhere, perhaps at Ralph's Supermarket at the foot of Catherine Street! I grew up on Bell Hill at the same time you did. There are so many memories, where to start? I went to East Kendall Street School, then on to Grafton St. Jr. High for a year ( the brand new Harrington Way Jr. High was behind schedule but I was in the first seventh grade class to attend). I roamed all over Belmont Hill as a kid. I helped a friend with a paper route which took me the whole length of Eastern Ave. (I climbed so many flights of three-decker stairs!). I lived at the Green Hill end of Eastern Ave. but spent many Saturday mornings at the Boy's Club at Lincoln Square. I remember feeling really macho the first time I swam across the middle of Bell Pond.

I could go on and on, and I would love to; but I'll wait to see if this reply gets viewed. I somewhat new to discussion boards but I've been checking Worcester Talk every week or so. I have been trying to locate childhood friends of my own on this forum with no luck so far.

I now live outside of Shreveport, Louisiana and I would love to hear from you-even if it turns out that our paths never crossed.

Regards,

Dan (formerly "Danny") Granfors

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 02:41:04 PM »
Hello Dan......... :) If you don't mind me asking how old you are?? I was born in 1952. We lived at the corner of Eastern Ave and Farwell, then we moved across the street to 115 Eastern Ave. I went to Elizabeth St School in the late 50's, early 60's. Where have the years gone???? Sure flew by didn't they?? I was so happy to find this website. I am anxious to reconnect with some old friends who grew up in that area. Do you remember Vessio's market and the store directly across the street??? I went to North High and graduated in 1970. I've lived in Calif. for almost 30 years and now live in Missouri. Sure wish we could exchange childhood pictures, then maybe we'd recognize each other. My maiden name is Bellione. I have 3 sisters. Do you recall anyone at all that lived on Eastern Ave??? Do you remember a girl named Susan that lived on your end of Eastern Ave?? I don't want to give her last name but maybe if we end up emailing each other I will share more info. Great talking to you!! Will be waiting for a reply.....take care!
diane

DnlJmsGrnfrs

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 05:36:36 PM »
Hi Diane:

I'll be fifty-one next Valentine's Day. I surely do remember Vessio's and the store across the street was the Hillside Spa. One block east up the hill on Belmont (at Rodney) was Ogasian's Market. I would buy "Ghost Stories" comic books there and when I had the cash, vanilla milkshakes. I believe that the Ogasian family was Armenian and the store always had an exotic Eastern smell about it; or it could have easily been my imagination.

My very first job was at Sam's car wash on Shrewsbury street for a buck an hour! That was ok because right there on the same corner was first Turo's and then later Toscano's market where one could buy Italian club sandwiches wrapped in white butcher paper for 25¢.

I am sure that most of these places only exist in a finite number of minds now. I have been away for thirty-four years, but my memories are still sharp and vivid about that early time in my life. Now I am a math teacher in Louisiana- about as far removed from my childhood circumstances as it is possible to get.

I must cut this short for now but I will be back to follow this thread very soon.

Warm regards,

Dan (formerly "Danny") Granfors

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 05:02:39 AM »
Dan, do you remember Skiets across the street from Memorial Hospital??? I remember going there every day buying penny candy. And do you remember the Comic Strip club at the bottom of Bell Hill (where the "rotary" was??? It was a blast. We used to walk home at midnight and not be afraid. Boy those days are gone aren't they??? The old neigborhood is in really bad shape now. Very sad. I go "home" every year and could almost weep at what's become of it. A few people in our age range have passed away, too. We'll talk more later! take care
diane

Frankie

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 12:14:55 PM »
Hello To All,

Does anyone remember Joe Vesscosi"s and Dan's Market that use to be on the corners of Lyons Street and Shrewsbury Street and the little store that ujse to be on Plum Street?

Frank in Fort Lauderdale

Frankie

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 12:16:14 PM »
Hello To All,

Does anyone remember Joe Vesscosi"s and Dan's Market that use to be on the corners of Lyons Street and Shrewsbury Street and the little store that ujse to be on Plum Street?

Frank in Fort Lauderdale

DnlJmsGrnfrs

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2006, 05:59:25 PM »
Hey Diane,

I remember Skiests very well. It was in a strip of very old storefronts along with Frudy's Package Store (before Frudy's moved up to the corner of Edwards Street), a fish & chip place, and I think, a distribution place for the Worcester Telegram & Gazette. I do recall the penny candy!- Squirrel Nut Caramels (I wish I had ten pounds of 'em now), Necco Wafers, those stupid wax things with the kool-aid in them.

Further down Belmont on the right toward Lincoln Sq. were Our Lady of Fatima and Belmont Baptist churches. I went to Belmont Baptist for a long time as a kid and played for their basketball team (I was pathetic). Before they built those high-rise public housing flats on the left, there used to be brownstone apartment buildings with big stone front porches and a John Jarvey TV repair place on the first floor of one of them. At the very foot of Belmont, at the rotary, were two taverns side by side. The Somerset Cafe was a haunt of my dad's and the Valhalla next door was where his sister, my Aunt Betty worked as a waitress in the daytime. I remember mooching free cokes with Maraschino cherriies from Aunt Betty at the Valhalla on my way to the Boy's Club.

I remember the Comic Strip but I was always too young to go there. You have a few years on me! I do remember sneaking into the Worcester Auditorium many times to see car shows and such. I left Worcester in 1972 when my dad died; I was 16 so most of my universe had to be within walking dsitance.

Do you remember the carnival that they used to hold every year at Mt. Carmel church at the foot of Queen Anne's [?] hill?
Was it Gage Street School that was at that end of Eastern Ave? I remember that the school building came right up to the Eastern Ave. sidewalk.

Diane, you have to validate a childhood memory I have. On Saturday or Sunday mornings, there was a children's show on TV called Boomtown. It was basically the Bozo format but instead of a clown, the star was a cowboy named Rex Trailer with a sidekick named Pancho. They would run Tom Terrific and Davy and Goliath cartoons within the show. Do you recall this show or is it just a grotesque dream I had?

I've read your other posts about how seedy and run down the old neighborhood is now, but I suppose that it was inevitable. We see these places populated by ghosts of people living and gone, but the residents there now don't see them. Virtually all of my family has passed on now: so I often get all sad and melancholy when I think about those years, but they are indelible mental pictures we will carry to the grave.

I suppose that I should wrap this up for now. There was a girl named Susan Turcotte who lived at my end of Eastern Ave. I was best friends with her younger brother Bobby. She was very pretty with dark, straight hair. She was a few years older than me so maybe she was in your circle.

Bye for now,

DanG

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2006, 06:32:58 PM »
Boy you just brought back so many memories!! I remember everything you mentioned. I knew a neighbor on my street that used to go to the Valhalla all every weekend and come home drunk and in a rage. It was pretty awful. I remember him being very violent when he was drunk. He used to walk home. I went to Our Lady of Mt Carmel church. I do remember those carnivals!! Gosh, I feel so sad and melancholy myself when I think of those good old times. Things sure seemed better then. Never had to worry about school shootings and all the violence, tho' I suppose it was there but certainly not as bad as things are today. As for Susan Turcotte, I am still in contact with her. I talk to her via email quite often. She is doing well. Do you have children? What brought you to Louisana???? Please stay in touch when you have the time ok??? (there is another person I "met" here that I email. She grew up right in my immiediate area and for the life of me cannot remember what she looked like, and she doesn't recall me either, but we do chat occasionally. take care till next time...... :)
diane

tommyg

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2006, 04:01:51 AM »
Hi.. If I may add a few comments regarding Belmont Hill. I drove on Eastern Ave. just yesterday, on my way from Belmont to Shrewsbury St. I remember the the days from the 50s and 60s having grown up on the "other" side of Belmont past Bell Pond. Here`s a quick description of Eastern Ave. , Merrifield St. area as it is today.....abandoned cars, litter, most houses in bad need of repair, and that`s just for starters. Trying to drive thru  after a snowstorm is impossible as these streets become about six feet wide because of the illlegal parking etc. Traffic is a nightmare on lower Belmont from early morning to early evening. Sorry for the rather dim view of the area, but giving an up to date observance I thought might helpfull. Near the Vallhalla was another place called the Silver Dollar Cafe and if I remember another joint called the Golden Nugget.

timcoyle50

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2006, 07:22:58 AM »
You know down here where I am in Florida is a bulk food store that sells all those candies. I avoid the place or I know I'd be buying the ten pounds

Hey Diane,

I remember Skiests very well. It was in a strip of very old storefronts along with Frudy's Package Store (before Frudy's moved up to the corner of Edwards Street), a fish & chip place, and I think, a distribution place for the Worcester Telegram & Gazette. I do recall the penny candy!- Squirrel Nut Caramels (I wish I had ten pounds of 'em now), Necco Wafers, those stupid wax things with the kool-aid in them.

Further down Belmont on the right toward Lincoln Sq. were Our Lady of Fatima and Belmont Baptist churches. I went to Belmont Baptist for a long time as a kid and played for their basketball team (I was pathetic). Before they built those high-rise public housing flats on the left, there used to be brownstone apartment buildings with big stone front porches and a John Jarvey TV repair place on the first floor of one of them. At the very foot of Belmont, at the rotary, were two taverns side by side. The Somerset Cafe was a haunt of my dad's and the Valhalla next door was where his sister, my Aunt Betty worked as a waitress in the daytime. I remember mooching free cokes with Maraschino cherriies from Aunt Betty at the Valhalla on my way to the Boy's Club.

I remember the Comic Strip but I was always too young to go there. You have a few years on me! I do remember sneaking into the Worcester Auditorium many times to see car shows and such. I left Worcester in 1972 when my dad died; I was 16 so most of my universe had to be within walking distance.

Do you remember the carnival that they used to hold every year at Mt. Carmel church at the foot of Queen Anne's [?] hill?
Was it Gage Street School that was at that end of Eastern Ave? I remember that the school building came right up to the Eastern Ave. sidewalk.

Diane, you have to validate a childhood memory I have. On Saturday or Sunday mornings, there was a children's show on TV called Boomtown. It was basically the Bozo format but instead of a clown, the star was a cowboy named Rex Trailer with a sidekick named Pancho. They would run Tom Terrific and Davy and Goliath cartoons within the show. Do you recall this show or is it just a grotesque dream I had?

I've read your other posts about how seedy and run down the old neighborhood is now, but I suppose that it was inevitable. We see these places populated by ghosts of people living and gone, but the residents there now don't see them. Virtually all of my family has passed on now: so I often get all sad and melancholy when I think about those years, but they are indelible mental pictures we will carry to the grave.

I suppose that I should wrap this up for now. There was a girl named Susan Turcotte who lived at my end of Eastern Ave. I was best friends with her younger brother Bobby. She was very pretty with dark, straight hair. She was a few years older than me so maybe she was in your circle.

Bye for now,

DanG

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2006, 07:34:59 AM »
Hello tommyj.........yes, I know what you mean about Eastern Ave. When I was growing up there in the early 60's it wasn't bad at all. People took care of the yards and houses. We had cook outs and there were always nice kids playing outside till dark. It's a pretty sad now as it looks. I was in Worcester in May with my husband and son and DIL and they couldn't believe I grew up there, but of course I told them it was not like that then. Made me very very sad to see my old 3 decker look like that, what the heck happened????:(