Author Topic: Belmont Hill???  (Read 82471 times)

Barb Knox

• Just Moved Here
Re: Belmont Hill???
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2006, 06:56:32 AM »
Wow!  So old Rex is still going strong...did anyone notice that Bozo the clown was in one of those pictures?

Barb

Neil_H_Donahue

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2006, 03:54:55 PM »
Can you sing the song.. Check out this video link. Rex Trailer Boomtown.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5202940698975412644&q=boomtown

Neil_H_Donahue

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2006, 05:15:11 PM »
More info on all the kids shows out of Boston.. Major Mudd etc.
Link below
http://www.tvparty.com/lostboston.html

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2006, 05:13:44 AM »
I remember really loving to watch Boomtown........do you think the kids today would appreaciate a show like that?? Somehow I doubt it. But at least we got to enjoy it. thanks again Neil. (I gather you grew up in Worcester????)

Neil_H_Donahue

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2006, 05:56:47 AM »
Yes Diane , I lived on Canterbury street in my younger years and Belmont St . from the 70's. Our home on Belmont St. has been in the Donahue family since about 1940... It was built in 1894.

DnlJmsGrnfrs

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2006, 01:23:58 PM »
Thanks Neil, Barb, & All:

It was great to hear the Boomtown song again (from those links). It's remarkable how sounds and smells can trigger buried memories! I remember when my dad bought a "second" TV at the Salvation Army Thrift store for my brother and me. It had an eight-inch screen and a thirty-inch cabinet. I believe that we could only get four channels in Worcester at that time, Channels four, five, seven (WNAC I think), and when the weather was right, Channel nine (WMUR-TV) from Manchester, NH.

At this time of year, my dad would try to make a few extra bucks on the weekends picking apples in Sterling, Brookfield, and a few other towns in northern Worc. County. We would drive north on Lincoln Street, branch left in front of Nordgren's Funeral Home (didn't it become Burncoat at that point?), continue until Burncoat ended at a park I believe,left, then right on West Boylston Street. We would sometimes go one block beyond West Boylston to stop at the Pinecroft Ice Cream place. I would look out the window from the back seat of dad's '63 Ford Galaxie and eat my ice cream as we crossed the Wachuset Reservoir. I alwys looked for the the ruined stone church on the bank-I've heard that it has collapsed.

It seems that everyone who had a few apple trees would put an old kitchen chair out by the road with a bushel of apples and maybe a plastic jug or two of apple cider sitting on top. That freshly pressed cider! What I wouldn't give for a drum of it now! Of course, I would probably have to sleep in the bathroom for a month, but it is a price I would be willing to pay!

Bye for now,

DanG

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2006, 03:54:30 PM »
Neil, where on Bell Hill was your family home????

Neil_H_Donahue

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2006, 09:25:27 AM »
162 Belmont Between Eastern Ave & Merrifield  Next to Vesssio's old market.
Check this link from the 1978 Blizzard for photos.. the white 2 family.
http://www.worcestermass.com/places/blizzard78.shtml

DnlJmsGrnfrs

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2006, 12:43:28 PM »
Good grief, Neil!

I used to sit on the stone wall in front of your house to wait for the bus to carry me to North High! Do you remember old Charlie who used to walk up Belmont Street to the State Hospital where he lived?
Dan

Neil_H_Donahue

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2006, 04:29:48 PM »
Dan, I dont know Charlie by name, but talked to many heading that way...to 305 Belmont.

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2006, 08:19:40 PM »
Hi Neil.........I  remember that house so well!!!! I am so happy to be having this "conversation" with all of you:) It's making me feel so good to recall a happy time in my life. I was looking at the pictures and reading some of the comments, and someone mentioned working at the radio station WORC. and brought up Dave O'Gara's name. I knew him and his brother. Does Dave still work there????? And does anyone recall Marty Monroe? He lived on Merrified St. I often wonder what became of him. LOVED THOSE PICTURES! :D

DnlJmsGrnfrs

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2006, 01:46:38 PM »
Hello all:

Diane, you're right. Those pictures were great! I had completely forgotten that the three-decker that Vessio's was in had a conical spire. I wonder if the old fire station on Eastern Ave is still there. I remember as a kid always getting a friendly wave from the firemen in their lawn chairs out front. I remember some cold mornings waiting for the bus to Harrington Way Jr. High; I would stand in Vessio's doorway to try to block the wind.

DanG

Diane

• Been Around Awhile
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2006, 05:48:07 AM »
I remember standing in Vessio's too, waiting for the bus to go "downtown"........and me and my friends going into the firestation when we were about 8-10 years old. Those firefighters were always good guys and used talk to us and were very kind. I drove up Eastern Ave in May but can't remember if it was there or not, DUH ......Do lyou recall a Marty Munroe?? He would be about 56. Lived on Merrified St. I often wonder what became of him, we were good friends.

DnlJmsGrnfrs

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2006, 07:58:30 AM »
Diane,

I'm afraid that I never knew Marty Munroe. I'll be fifty-one in February so you and he were out of my orbit. My brother Bill would be about 56 if he were still alive. Perhaps you knew some in his circle of friends. Let me see if I can remember some names: Charlie Sharigian, Artie Skovone (not sure of the spelling on some of these), Nick Gilardi, Dave Anderson, Susan Gustafson (I was friends with her youger brother Larry), a girl whose last name was Cisca.

DanG

Neil_H_Donahue

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2006, 08:32:51 AM »
Eastern Ave Fire Station is still there.
It was bought after fire damage done by arsonist years ago . Around 1997..for $5,000 ..

It became a Studio for a company call Firehause...
Was almost completely rebuilt and had living quarters on the top floor.
A sound recording studio in the basement..
New Heating systems..almost 90 % restored -windows, woodwork etc..
Sold again last year for around $360,000 plus or minus.
I can't believe the city didn't buy it back.. In like new condition ...
See link below that will show you photo of it last year for sale...Neil

Photo Link.
http://www.fallenbrothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=4407