Author Topic: webster sq.1950's  (Read 5784 times)

maddog

• Just Moved Here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
webster sq.1950's
« on: November 15, 2004, 07:44:47 AM »
one of my fondest memories of webster sq.in the early 1950's was casey's diner,wow i haven't had a cheeseburger that tasted as good as they made in all my travels i can almost taste one now,does anyone else remember webster sq. then?

ollie

• Just Moved Here
Re: webster sq.1950's
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 03:58:49 PM »
Memories of Raad's were stirred up. It was a treat to get a frappe there. How about the bowling alley in the basenebt where you jump on the floor and the pins would fall over. Eastern Cycle was my favorite place to drool over the latest Sturmey/ Archer equipped, 'english racer'.  Remember the squack when Midas Muffler mover in and the cheap gas, Merit? 

DnlJmsGrnfrs

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 01:07:40 PM »
I remember the Merit station on Belmont Street. My dad would gas up there on weekends when we went to the Cape. I remember him griping about gas being 35 cents a gallon.

kist news

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 10:28:08 AM »
Remember it well.  Used to live just off Southbridge St. on Tracy Place.  Some of the gang would head over to Casey's.  Great memories.  Wish they had one now in Santa Barbara.  Also an old radio store that was one of the first to carry TVs.  We didn't have one yet but would watch one of the store's display models through the window.  Yes, also remember Merit gas.  Wish prices were the same today.  Some of the 'gang'.....me, Ed Foley, Herbie Perks, Bob Townsend, Richard Hosegood, George Bennett.  Also, there was a drug store over there that sold bulk chemicals that I could use with my chemistry set.

When we went back just once in the mid-90's for Mom's funeral, stopped in a good restaurant at the Square.  First visit to that area since the 1950's.  Good memories!!