Author Topic: TB Sanitarium  (Read 10207 times)

Bette Dolaher

TB Sanitarium
« on: August 30, 2004, 06:02:44 AM »
I am interested in finding out if there ever was a TB sanitarium in Worcester in the early 1900's until 1920.  Have been told grandmother was there and died there and is buried in St. John's cemetery.   I am wondering if family covered up mental illness as I can't find record of a TB sanitarium in Worcester.  

Margery Orr

Re: TB Sanitarium
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 04:17:00 AM »
There were at least two (and probably more) TB hospitals/sanitariums in Worcester County.  One was in Rutland and another was in West Boylston (just outside Worcester).  You might want to check with the Worcester County Historical Society Library to see what information about the hospitals you could obtain concerning the type of patients admitted.  You would not however, be able to obtain any information about a specific patient.  I don't know what these hospitals did with patient records when they closed, but confidentiality regulations make accessing records (if they exist) next to impossible.

Donnabhain

Re: TB Sanitarium
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 06:31:44 AM »
The Worcester County Hospital was an old TB sanitarium in w. boylston, which closed in 1994. It's located on the grounds of the minimum security prison and scheduled to be demolished soon!

http://iussa.org/cat=buildings&sub=wch&page=wch