Author Topic: Worchester State Hospital  (Read 11848 times)

Mary Nelson

Worchester State Hospital
« on: April 25, 2003, 11:55:38 AM »
Can anyone tell me something about the history of the State Hospital.  I can remember going there to visit an uncle and have pictures taken there on the grounds.  When did it close and when did it open.  How many patients did it house etc.  Any information would be helpful.
Thanks!  MNelson720@aol.com

Richard Smith

Re: Worchester State Hospital
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 04:20:12 PM »
I was in a drug rehab there in 1970 or so and I do remember it being quite a strange place.I know that I never wanted to go back...Living in sunny Florida now Thank God  Richard

Heidi

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 07:09:27 AM »
Worcester state hospital is still open, I t has down sized and using new building that were buitl in the 1950's. There is new building to be underway in the near future.

rzolla

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 06:29:04 AM »
the first patients arrived at worcester state hospital on janury 19,1833 at that time the hospital was called the worcester lunatic asylum, and the superintendant was Dr. samuel woodward, many patients arrived in chains and in cages

Information came from the book Worcester published in 1981

rzolla

william schafer

I worked there 1954 to 1957 on male service admission ward salisbury 1
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 04:59:41 AM »
Worcester state hospital is still open, I t has down sized and using new building that were buitl in the 1950's. There is new building to be underway in the near future.

jim28518

• Been Around Awhile
  • 1966 comet
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 12:06:54 PM »
Worcester State Hospital, had many names over the years, starting on Summer street in the circa mid 1840's. As times changed and more space was needed, it became Grafton State Hospital same locations on Summer street in Worcester, MA but also building in Grafton, MA Circa 1880's of a larger hospital. This several state mental hospital in Worcester are confused, the largest being the insane hospital which overlooks Lake Quinsigamond, it's also called by many names including State Hospital along with being called Worcester Lunatic Asylum and the Bloomingdale Asylum.
email me with "Worcester state hospital" on subject line for more info
jim28518@yahoo.com