Author Topic: Museum memories  (Read 10735 times)

Rob

• Just Moved Here
Museum memories
« on: April 03, 2007, 12:16:32 PM »
What are your memories of museums in Worcester?  ???

jim28518

• Been Around Awhile
  • 1966 comet
Re: Museum memories
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 03:27:21 PM »
6th grade class trip circa 1952.
It was Wow.
A place to enjoy and show to a loved one.

Deerhawk

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 06:22:41 PM »
Took Art Classes there in the early 60's
I remember a staircase....and an older gentleman who was a security guard always watching you
He kept his hands folded behind his back
Thats all I got
No Borders...No Compromise!

Prosperos Daughter

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 07:43:08 PM »
I also took art classes there in the 60"s. My favorite spot in the museum was a chapel (?) that was brought stone by stone from some place in England (?)

theblackprince

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 11:37:24 AM »
I was a member of the Worcester Art Museum in the 70's when I lived in Worcester. For those of you who aren't aware, this museum has an international reputation. In fact, it's widely considered one of the best general art museums of it's size in the world. If you've never gone you don't know what you're missing.

The collection of 17th century Dutch and Flemish art is simply superb. It also houses the best collection of Japanese woodblock prints in the western hemisphere thanks mostly to the John Chandler Bancroft collection.

The "chapel" mentioned earlier is actually a "chapter house" and was a room where the monks would gather each morning to discuss what would be going on that day at the monastery. It came from France, not England.

deacon

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 04:41:22 PM »
i was sad to here the toilet museum closed,,but its just down the road in watertown so its still accessable