Author Topic: Captain William Regan of Emmet Guard  (Read 6402 times)

Germac

• Just Moved Here
Captain William Regan of Emmet Guard
« on: September 16, 2012, 04:41:37 PM »
Hello all,
I am looking for any stories (good or otherwise) about my great grandfather William (Bill) Regan (born approx 4.1.1858) through GenealogyBank while he was a Captain of the Emmet Guards.  I would also like to know his date of death, as well as for his wife Margaret Carr Regan.  Lastly, I want to confirm that he had a brother Michael Regan (born approx 1843) who married Hannah Kirby.  That's a 15 year difference between William & Michael, but they lived on 20 Columbia st at different times.  Thanks! Gerry McNamara

EPB2020

• Just Moved Here
Re: Captain William Regan of Emmet Guard
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 06:10:44 PM »
There are multiple pages of news articles about the Emmet Guards and William Regan.  Worcester Daily Spy has an article Tuesday, May 29, 1894 announcing his retirement. 

You may know this, but I did see that he married Margaret Carr on Feb 24, 1881 - saw this on ancestry - could not find it on Family Search.  His parents: Michael and Nora.  Hers: Peter and Margaret.  D. H. O'Neill officiating.    Also, only Margaret Carr born in Worcester to Peter: 15 Mar 1853   Peter, Cath  per ancestry.com

Could your William Regan be the brother  of Michael and Hanora Regan who lived in Milford, Ma?  They had son David Regan 18 Nov 1875 in Milford.  Wife was Hanora Kirby.  From Family Search.

Per 1870 census:
Michael Regan the father was born in Ireland in 1843.
Other children born in Ireland:
Mary E Reagan   1 (b. in Mass)
James Reagan   8/12
big gap?
William Reagan   16
Thomas Reagan   22

Hanora died in Milford 12 Dec 1878.

Worcester in the Spanish AMerican War: http://goo.gl/d1QTY

No information so far about DOD for either.

Germac

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 06:42:08 PM »
Thank you E,
I see connections.
William, b. 1858 (and his brother Michael b. 1843) parents were Michael & Joanna(Harn) Regan according to family search.org.  I strongly believe that Michael who married Hannah (Hanora?) Kirby was William's brother of Milford. Michael & Hannah had the following kids:  Mary E Regan b 8.14.1868; James F Regan b. 10.29.1869; John Regan b. 12.18.1870; Johanna (Hannah) Regan b. 4.14.1873 and finally David Regan, b. 11.18.1875, but died 9.6.1876.  Now you mentioned William Regan(16 yrs) and Thomas Regan(22 yrs).  As per family search I have William Regan's birth date as April of 1858 which would make him 12 yrs old at the 1870 census vs 16 yrs mentioned above. I'm not aware of Thomas Regan. Could he be another brother?
It would make sense that Hanora (Hannah) Kirby died in Milford in 1878 cuz Michael Regan was a widow in the 1880 census. This also explains in part why James F Regan went to live with his uncle Bill and Margaret (Carr) Regan.           

kathleen

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 07:32:54 AM »
Hi

Try the Worcester Historical Society up off Park ave. When my father died I had pictures of Emmit guard and others that I donated to them. They did go through them as they were not labeled. I don't have the address or phone handy as I am away. Though will look it up when I get back.

I know my father John "Red" Sweeney would put the flags on the graves and memorial at St John's cemetery every year.

Germac

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 06:41:01 AM »
Thanks for the info! Perhaps I can make a quick trip to Worcester during Thanksgiving week.  I'm living in NC now. It would be great if he is in one of the pictures.  I will ask the folks at the St John's cemetery if they have William Regan in their database because I can't find his DOD.