Author Topic: Old Worcester Streets  (Read 4971 times)

GeorgeH

• Just Moved Here
Old Worcester Streets
« on: August 05, 2012, 03:59:36 AM »
I sometimes find that my Worcester ancestors in the 19th century lived on streets that either no longer exist or have been renamed.  For example, I have an 1880's address of an ancestor on Cherry Street but cannot find it on current Worcester maps (e.g., Google).  Does anyone know of a source for finding the location of these old streets?

GeorgeH

• Just Moved Here
Re: Old Worcester Streets
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 04:27:48 AM »
Found a book on Google Books called Dictionary of Worcester and Vicinity (1893).  On pages 103-113, it contains a list of all the streets in the city and where they run.  For example it says that Cherry runs between Canal and Vine.  (Of course, where Canal and Vine were is another issue.)  Also, has a list of defunct street names and what they have been changed to--like Pine to Shrewsbury Street.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Old Worcester Streets
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 03:20:57 AM »
GeorgeH!  Thanks for your reference to Pine Street turning into Shrewsbury Street!  Pine was a very irish street and my 1850 ancestors lived there and one year it disappears and they are living on Shrewsbury street.  Mystery solved!  Canal street must be near St. John's Church