Author Topic: St. Anne's Hill  (Read 4835 times)

GeorgeH

• Just Moved Here
St. Anne's Hill
« on: August 05, 2012, 03:53:24 AM »
My family--lawlesses and Courtneys--lived on St. Anne's Hill around 1900.  From what they said, I have always viewed that neighborhood as being the streets between the Church and Shrewsbury Street--Gage, Berkeley, Shamrock, E Central, Eastern Avenue, etc.  As I did research, however, I came to the conclusion that the neighborhood must have included a much bigger area.  Can anyone tell me what was generally accepted as the boundaries of the neighborhood?

GeorgeH

• Just Moved Here
Re: St. Anne's Hill
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 02:02:54 PM »
"St. Anne Hill" appears to have always been an unofficial name.  What was the official name?  "Laurel Hill"?  "Chandler Hill"?  I also found a reference to "Carroll Hill" which was named after David Carroll an early Irish settler of Worcester and I see their is a street named Carroll back fo St. Anne's Church.

GeorgeH

• Just Moved Here
Re: St. Anne's Hill
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 03:18:16 AM »
Thanks Helen.  I'll check that out.  The reference I saw was in Charles Nutt's "History of Worcester and Its People".  David Carroll's daughter Julia was married to Eugene Moriarty (Worcester Evening Post) that we had been communicating about.