Author Topic: RICE/MCEVOY--County Louth to Worcester  (Read 23249 times)

NEMSTC

• Just Moved Here
RICE/MCEVOY--County Louth to Worcester
« on: April 16, 2012, 04:24:08 AM »
Researching Anne RICE b. abt. March 1798 d. 1876 Worcester, daughter of Mathew and Mary RICE near Dundalk, Ireland County Louth.  She married Patrick MCEVOY of County Louth, no dates.  Their son, James MCEVOY b. 1830 County Louth ( m. 1853 to Jane Connolly b. 1833 Fermanagh, Ireland d. 1900 Worcester) he d. 1874 Worcester.
Believe they are all buried in St. John's cemetery, Worcester ( no one has photographed the tombstones on findagrave.com yet )
Any connections, help, information etc.  Also would like to know how to get old Worcester newspapers online.
Thanks

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
Re: RICE/MCEVOY--County Louth to Worcester
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 12:52:20 AM »
  Historic newspapers-genealogybank.com although to read anything you need a subscription. Depending on the newspaper-Worcester is not there but Fitchburg is ancestry.com has an historical newspaper section.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 02:07:41 AM »
Rice is a very Louth name.  Will check my database and see what I have.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 03:42:53 AM »
Patrick McAvoy (sic) died 18 Dec. 1863 wife is Anne & 2 small children   St. John's cemetery by Richard O'Flynn   Look into Patrick serving in the Civil war because of the date

Can this one be yours?

NEMSTC

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 05:04:13 AM »
Thank you for the imput. Worcester is clustered with plenty of McEvoy/McAvoy families, however, I'll look into the Patrick you provided.
We have a few Patricks that don't branch out too far:  1--Patrick married to Anne Rice was born in Co Louth abt. 1799-1803 and we can't confirm he sailed to USA, but we have records of Anne and her children: Thomas, James, Michael, Patrick( b. abt 1833) and Margaret arriving 12 April 1853 on the Manhattan.

2--Anne's son , James, had a Patrick b. 22 Dec. 1863 and d. 8 Aug.  1871. 3--- Anne's husband, Patrick, had a brother, Thomas who married Catherine Kirk--their son, Patrick at age 21 came over on the South Carolina into Boston 17 Dec 1850.  Would love to find them all buried in St. John's with detailed note cards in their church office.

We also have this last- mentioned Patrick married to "unknown" with two children, Thomas Edward and Katherine (I'll look into your Patrick--could be him?)

Lastly, what did you mean by "St. John's cemetery by Richard O'Flynn??"

Thanks.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 05:26:29 AM »
First of all the Patrick I gave you might have died from older age rather than Civil war if he was the father of James and his wife Ann's last name was Rice.  Worcester Historian Richard O'Flynn went to St. John's Cemetery and to the old Tatnuck cemetery and transcribed stones around 1900?  Some of these are now unreadable or have been replaced and some were boards with names scratched into them. Don't concern yourself about spelling variations with McEvoy/McAvoy.   The irish Rices that came to Worcester were from Ravensdale & Ballmacandlin...is your ann from around there?  I think Ravensdale was an estate and many were helped by the landlord to emigrate.

Where do you live?  Can you get to the Worcester library?

NEMSTC

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 06:18:18 AM »
Yes, our Anne lived in the area of Ravensdale, Ballmacandin and Dundalk.  Anne also had relatives in Marlborough,MA.  Then,too, I have a photograph of my mother standing next to two graves in St. John's; one was the McAvoy stone, the other show an Owen Rice.  We also have a Hugh Owen on a non-direct branch.

Is old Tatnuck cemetery catholic?  O'Flynn's work online?

Although I was born in Worcester (WWII) with the McAvoys, I have strong genealogy ties to Berkshire county especially West Stockbridge, Stockbridge, Richmond, and Pittsfield---Irish relatives worked the ore mines and farmed ( Careys and Sullivans)

I now live in Florida---happy retirement.

P.S.----I have found actual house numbers and street names of Rices in the city of Dundalk but not primary sources to say for sure they are my relatives.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 06:36:49 AM »
I have some info on those Rices.  Will post here when I get some time...gotta go to work!

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 07:28:04 AM »
Please private message me so I can exchange emails.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 04:47:54 AM »
Will mail stuff off to you.  Doolargy and Ravensdale are both townlands in the parish of Ballymascanlan in the Barony of Lower Dundalk in the poor law union of Dundalk so O'Flynn's notation and the other stuff is not necessarily in conflict.

Liverpool to Boston arriving 15 April 1848   The Sunbeam  are 3 family groups of Rices that appear in worcester with similar names and ages
                                         19 August 1850 on the Jessica are Hugh and Alice Rice and their brood.

Think you should think outside the box on this .  It is likely that the Rices from Louth are all related.  Hope that's true!  Good Luck!

r0nd0

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 08:48:03 AM »
I recommend checking out the "Rice Families of Worcester County" family tree on Ancestry.  Hugh & Alice (Trainor) Rice are there.  There may be others that you recognize.  We tried to connect as many as we could but recorded all the info we had.  It doesn't show, but the families of Hugh Rice (wife Alice Trainor), Michael J Rice (wife Bridget McCourt), & James Rice (wife Sarah Ward) are somehow related back in Ireland through family knowledge, but we lack the proof today.  We think there are others in the tree as well that are related.  They, or their descendants, all lived in Worcester, Cherry Valley, or Leicester at one time or another, arriving in the mid 1800's during the Potato Famine or later and all came from the area of Dundalk and the Cooley Peninsula of county Louth.  I hope there's something there that helps. (I am a descendant of James & Sarah)

whichzelda

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 08:44:54 AM »
I, also, am related to the Rice family.  My great great grandmother was Catherine Rice wife of Owen McDermott.  Their son Peter McDermott also married a Catherine Rice.  Although I have not made a connection to Louth, I suspect that is where my Rice and McDermotts came from.  They all settled in Leicester, Cherry Valley or Worcester.

NEMSTC

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 05:10:50 AM »
I have done alittle more searching and believe I've found the connection:

**Hugh Rice b. 1795
Alice Rice b. 1817
Catherine Rice b. 1840
James Rice b. 1842
**Owen Rice b. 1844
Ann Rice b. 1846
Myrtle Rice b. in Mass. 1853

In 1855 they lived in Sutton, Worcester County, Massachusetts.  **means these two were mentioned by my relatives numerous times and, for Owen Rice, I have a photo of my mother standing next to the tombstone; however, it isn't a clear photo.

(1) anyone have a connection here and (2) anyone close to St. John's cemetery in Worcester that could take a closer photo of Owen's tombstone thus giving me the ability to pinpoint the geographic location in Ireland so I can continue my search in county Louth?  Owen is near the McAvoys Sec. G Row 3 Lot 5

Thank You!!

whichzelda

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 03:57:56 AM »
I live near St. John's Cemetery in Worcester Ma and would be glad to check out the headstones you have mentioned .  It may take a few days, but I will get back to you.

NEMSTC

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 05:41:25 AM »
Ron; Recently been returning to my Rice family tree info and noticed a possible 'curve ball' on Sarah Ward Rice on FindAGrave memorial # 6459534---it shows James McKenna and not James Rice, what's with that?  Also, My Hugh Rice and your James Rice might be cousins/even possible brothers because I noticed the similar Irish naming patterns for children of both families.

John