Author Topic: Remembering Worcester  (Read 5436 times)

adumas

• Just Moved Here
Remembering Worcester
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:00:44 AM »
  I happened to stumble onto this site and as I read about Worcester memories, I couldn't help but jump in!  I was born in Worcester in 62.  I remember attending Gage Street School (we lived right across the street).  Learning how to ride a bike on Gage Steet was no easy thing! I remember walking to Lions Park on Shrewsbury Street in the summer.  I remember Rocky's store at the corner and Mrs. Lamberine my fourth grade teacher. We moved to Texas when I was ten years old but we continued to return to the Worcester area to visit family.  After graduating high school in Texas and two years of Community College, I moved back to Worcester and attended Worcester State College where I earned a BS in Psychology.  Moved back to Texas in 1985 and haven't been back in several years.  I'd like to remember more...maybe reading these posts will stir up dormant memories but...only the good ones :)

worc01606

• Just Moved Here
Re: Remembering Worcester
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 01:53:37 PM »
I am 40 now and sure many of you remember hanging out downtown Worcester. The Dream machine the Silverball arcades?? The mall chicks we all tried to pick up? those huge water fountains? Going to the Centrum when they had lots of good concerts getting kicked off the common by a bald Worcester cop named George? A guy in a wheelchair collecting change and it was rumored he could walk always outside of strawberries records & tapes. Hanging out with some of the guys in bands like Alpha-Omega, Crystal Myth, Ultrafill, Bonehead... Drinking beers having a good old time man I miss all those people and that time growing up in Worcester let's all share some memories about growing up in Worcester Driving out to spider gates? Keg parties on newton hill. The dead shows that used to come to town. I remember telling the fans that were looking for a place to camp, I lived near Elm park I told A couple of them to camp in the park well when I got up the next day there had to be 75 tents set up everyone having a good time. I feel like I was the one the city officals should of been mad at for telling them to camp there and Dead shows were baned from the city. Man those were the days growing up in Worcester no texting, cell phones just being a kid going outside doing something and trying not to get into trouble..going up to the top of Bancroft Tower. The ice Cream Shack on Main street where the Family Dollar store is the ice cream place was a small little building right in the parking lot. Fishing carp out of Elm Park, Chineese Rocks? Remember those things. Here comes Jerry the ice cream truck...And lets noe forget about the Whistler The guy always walking around with signs on his back? Always stopped to talk to us kids. Highland Street block parties

You Grew Up In (or around) Worcester During the 80s if...
by Charles R. Grosvenor Jr., Worcestermass.com

You thought the Galleria was the coolest mall to hang in..

The Galleria had a movie theater (way deep in the bottom of the place)

You (or someone you know) got in trouble for skateboarding on the Worcester Common

Tatnuck Book Sellers was still in Tatnuck Square, and they ONLY sold books

Spider Gates was one of the places you heard LOTS of rumors about

Three Words: Creature Double Feature

Not one, not two, but THREE Music Video Channels that played, get this, MUSIC VIDEOS. (V-66, MTv, VH-1).

Shakey Jakes!

Al-bums was on Park Ave

Leisers was one of the best places to go for Stereos and TVs

Only the college radio stations used the term "Wormtown"

The only place for cheap stuff was Spags

Channel 27 was in English

WAAF was located in Worcester

The Rolling Stones playing Sir Morgan's Cove was nowhere near the secret it was supposed to be

The Worcester Library held film fests