Author Topic: safety in and around Clark University community  (Read 16987 times)

pat l.

safety in and around Clark University community
« on: March 30, 2002, 10:17:00 AM »
 ???Can anyone provide me with information concerning how safe it is, in and around the Clark University community?  I would appreciate any info and personal opinions u may provide.....thanks :) Is it safe to walk around in the evenings, etc, etc.

Alexandra Siwek

Re: safety in and around Clark University communit
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2002, 12:16:02 AM »
Hi Pat,

I attended Clark 30 years ago, but I would still say that it is NOT safe to walk around there by yourself at night.  I had my purse grabbed from me right in front of the student union and then had someone expose themselves to me as I was walking home to Dewey street apartment.  Don't assume that it is safe just because it is quiet.

Alex   :-/

Jon Melick

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2002, 01:44:07 AM »
I was at Clark around the same time as Alexandra (I'm Class of 1973). Even for the guys, the area south of Main Street could be very tricky, especially at night. Also dangerous was the area around May Street. When walking back to Clark from downtown, I was especially careful once I walked past the old Aurora Hotel, and didn't relax much until I saw the sign for the old Vernon Drug store near campus. The area between Main and Park Avenue wasn't quite as dangerous, but I tended to stick to the more heavily traveled streets at night.

K.Rowe

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 08:10:20 AM »
I attended Clark University from 1994-1998, and I, as well as my family, have lived in that neighborhood for as long as anyone can remember.

In one of my first orientation classes at Clark, the teacher asked who was from the neighborhood, and to give the other students an idea of what it was like there. I raised my hand and told the class to beware of the neighborhood that Clark is in... it is located in one of the worst parts of the city, right on Main Street. The park and street directly across from Clark (Crystal Park) are very dangerous, and you should never walk around there at night or especially alone... They're not going to tell you that in the brochure, I said...so pay attention when you are walking outisde the school property.

At the end of my short speech, the teacher berrated me in front of the class, and insisted to the other students not to listen to me... The area was fine and safe he said.. and to disregard all that I said.. I was trying to scare them.  I proceeded to get up and walk out of the class. I was trying to help the students, not make them naieve to their surroundings...

But anyway :) That is my story. Don't get me wrong... I love Worcester.. it is a part of me and it is a part of my family's  history.  But, as in any city, there are areas that are more dangerous than others.. and when walking anywhere alone, one should take caution and be aware of what's going on around them.

I know this is an old post, but maybe someone out there will find the information useful.
Take care  :)

Jay Meara

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 06:25:53 AM »
I have to disagree with the people saying that it is unsafe around Clark.   First of all, the question about college-area safety can be applied to virtually every university located in an urban setting, so one must use common sense and be aware of your surroundings.

Clark is typical of many Northeast universities that were founded in cities during the late 1800's and early 1900's -- e.g., Trinity College in Hartford; Providence College; Yale in New Haven; BU; MIT; NYU; Johns Hopkins in Baltimore; even Georgetown and George Washington University in the Nation's capital.     These cities go through demographic changes, shifting business changes, the change from a manufacturing to a service society, and numerous other changes; so it is unfair to simply say:  "Oh, the school is in a 'bad' neighborhood."

The reality is that Clark is a viable contributor to the entire neighborhood, and many surrounding properties have been returned to great condition.   Any student who uses common sense, travels with someone, and who uses caution will be fine.

Asking whether a university of any type is in a "safe" neighborhood does not sound like a question from a person with much worldly sophistication.   My reply is that you should not attend a college in Worcester, Hartford, New Haven,  Boston, Providence, New York City, Baltimore, Washington, Philadelphia; but, instead, you should find a small isolated college with a high fence and no residents for miles.    Always stay indoors.    You'll be isolated and lonely; but safe!    

K.Rowe

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 06:54:48 AM »
When was the last time you were near Crystal Park, Jay? Or when was the last time you walked down Main Street alone, or at night?  ???  I used to walk to work from Clark to downtown (via Main Street), if I missed the bus.. and it was plenty nerve-wracking in the daytime, nevermind in the dark.  Worcester is a city. Every city has some nice parts, and some not so nice parts. Main Street in Worcester and Crystal Park are NOT nice areas of the city. It is a fact.

Asking whether a university of any type is in a "safe" neighborhood does not sound like a question from a person with much worldly sophistication.   My reply is that you should not attend a college in Worcester, Hartford, New Haven,  Boston, Providence, New York City, Baltimore, Washington, Philadelphia; but, instead, you should find a small isolated college with a high fence and no residents for miles.    Always stay indoors.    You'll be isolated and lonely; but safe!      

It sounds like you're making fun of the original poster for asking such a question. I think its valid, and I met plenty of people while I was at Clark who had no idea what the surrounding area/off campus was like. I'm not talking about the parts that Clark has bought up and renovated... to rent out to college kids, or to use for their own purposes. I'm talking about the areas they "don't show you on the brochure".. as I mentioned earlier.

In addition, the surrounding areas of Worcester State College (Tatnuck Square area),  Assumption College (Salisbury Street area) and WPI (Elm Park area) are nice... or did you forget about them? They're in Worcester too.  :P

Robert A. Doyle

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 02:12:32 AM »
I'm a 68 year old retired Marine who grew up in Worcester.  Anybody who would walk around south Main street  or anywhere near Clark Univ.  at nite would have to  have most of their brain housing wires unconnected.

When I last lived in Worcester, (early 80s) I had a license to carry and was always in mode to "repel boarders" with my trusty 9 mill "Walter."  After" good guys" were disarmed I moved to South Carolina.

Here all good guys can apply for and if qualified be able to carry.  I can walk anywhere at nite knowing that the good guys are more than a match for the bad guys- we know how to shoot.

Been here 10 years and only had to put a round over some punks head once-he got the message quickly.

Semper Fi, Bob Doyle

bornandraised

• Just Moved Here
Re: safety in and around Clark University community
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 02:07:13 PM »
As I posted in a previous message, the neighborhood is not safe, at least as it relates to other areas of the city. The Worcester Police has a great site where you can look up crime stats by neighborhood, I encourage you to use that as a resource. http://www.ci.worcester.ma.us/cau/

(MAIDEN NAME Carolynn D.) was Towle

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 05:34:09 PM »
omg i lived in and around that area a good part of my life...if you look like a victim no matter where you are you will become a victim...i never had a problem...lived with my two kids there across from clark...daughter had a issue once with a girl ..that was taken care of real quick and proper and never had any other incidents...
12YRS. St. PETERS SCHOOLING/CLASS OF 63/MAIN SO. 1010 COMMERCIAL GROUP/WARD SEC. SCHOOL/CB CALL NAME "COBRA LADY"/NATIVE AMER. TRIBAL AFFILIATED/NATIVE NAME INITIALS.. AWS.

deacon

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 08:15:34 AM »
as jay said, you need to be aware of whats going on around you,,,i grew up in main south and clarkies have always been pretty safe walking around main south,,,right now i personally would not walk aroundlate at night ,12 am--5am,,,,,,say the area between  hammond and ionic ave,on main street,because there are people there that might want to take advantage of anyone walking alone,,,but that said i would say just like jay its an average area not as bad as some here want you to think,,,if you use common sense youll be alright