Author Topic: The best neighborhoods and schools....  (Read 12666 times)

ender2002

The best neighborhoods and schools....
« on: March 22, 2002, 10:16:02 AM »
If anyone can help it would be great.  Im planning on Moving to Worcester from Boston.  I have a schoolage child.  Can anyone recomend a Worcester neighborhood to live in.  Thanks very much for any info.

mytoy33406

• Just Moved Here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: The best neighborhoods and schools....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2002, 01:15:19 AM »
I grew up in Millbury, a small town that hasn't really changed that much. :)I have to tell you living in Florida now the school system is much better there. Check it out for yourself....

rgarbin

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2002, 03:48:43 AM »
Everyone will tell you (and with good reason) that you want to live on the West Side, or that part of Worcester bounded by Salisbury, Park, and Chandler going north and west of the city.

Also, you'll find the Burncoat to be a very nice neighborhood, though more remote. Burncoat is the neighborhood clustered around Burncoat Street to the north of I-290.

Lynn Brothers

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2002, 10:04:06 PM »
I live off Ararat Street which is located in North Worcester.  It's a GREAT neighborhood.  It's in the best school district in the city and the house prices aren't outrageous.  Ararat Street is located off the 2nd exit of I-190.  You live in the city but you feel like you are in the country!  

tom doyle

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2002, 05:58:45 AM »
Hi  ;D,
   north worcester nelson place school. eagle rd,neptune rd. forest street

Jose

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2002, 03:34:03 AM »
How is the Piedmont street area? We are thinking of moving there.

Matthew

• Just Moved Here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2002, 12:19:42 PM »
I grew up in Millbury, a small town that hasn't really changed that much. :)I have to tell you living in Florida now the school system is much better there. Check it out for yourself....

Having grown up in Millbury all my life I can testify toward the school system.  My parents commented the system was the best they had seen in the area and were very pleased in most aspects, especially with the elementary schools.  The high school is not the most technological in the world, but that hopefully will change with the new construction these past years (every room will be wired for Internet and networking).  Being a small school system there are limited choices to high school classes (i.e. a few AP classes I had wanted don't exist or the single time slot wouldn't fit into my schedule) but the classes themselves are very rewarding with learning.  Even the honors classes were tough - you really earn your A's in that school system.

moji

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 07:24:26 AM »

??? ??? ??? ??? ???  piedmont is a st for the prostitute

PIEDMONT ST IS A HOOKER ST !!!!!! IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!!!! I HOPE YOU DON'T MOVED THERE !!!!

elbow

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 10:14:47 AM »
If you are interested in moving to the Piedmont area, you should check out the Neighborhood Network Center on Pleasant Street - they have a very active community group that is making great strides in the neighborhood and some of the people there might be able to point you in the direction of the best streets/areas.

The neighborhood definitely has its advantages and disadvantages. Some parts of the neighborhood (neighborhood is a hard term to use for such a larger area) are definitely more attractive then others. That being said, proximity to downtown is convenient and proximity to Elm Park and the Highland Street area  is nice. It's a very diverse neighborhood with easy access to other parts of the city and to daily shopping.  Pleasant Street has some great little stores like Ed Hyder's Mediterranean Market.  The Crown Hill neighborhood and Castle Hill Park community are also strong positive forces in that area. 

I personally would not feel super comfortable living on Piedmont itself with kids and Chandler is a raceway of traffic.  Mason and Dewey are a little too close to former industrial sites for my comfort level.  But other parts of the neighborhood are nice; I have some friends who just moved off of Russel Street and really like it.  I often go running in the neighborhood and shopping and go there to eat out and I think it has a lot of advantages and it's affordable.

good luck and I would definitely stop by the neighborhood network center if you are interested in moving into the area. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 10:18:27 AM by elbow »

redsoxfan11

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 06:38:21 PM »
Having grown up in Millbury all my life I can testify toward the school system.  My parents commented the system was the best they had seen in the area and were very pleased in most aspects, especially with the elementary schools.  The high school is not the most technological in the world, but that hopefully will change with the new construction these past years (every room will be wired for Internet and networking).  Being a small school system there are limited choices to high school classes (i.e. a few AP classes I had wanted don't exist or the single time slot wouldn't fit into my schedule) but the classes themselves are very rewarding with learning.  Even the honors classes were tough - you really earn your A's in that school system.
I too grew up in Millbury and would highly recommend it. My nieces and nephews all attend Millbury Public Schools. I live in the Hamilton?Lake Ave area. It is a nice quiet neighborhood and Lake View school was a great fit for my kids.

Barb Knox

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 02:43:05 PM »
Piedmont Street was one of my old stomping grounds.  There was a small science center there called appropriately Piedmont Center.  This was the area off Main but not to Chandler.  Had lots of fun there as a kid.  There was a small corner store across from it where we went to get giant pickles and/or ice cream pints that had been cut in half.

Memories...

The last time I saw it, several years ago, there were signs all over the neighborhood warning of it's dangers.

Barb Knox (Siergie)

elsie1888

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 09:10:08 AM »
thinking of moving to worcester - see ads for reasonably priced condos in downtown (federal st, front st, allen court areas) - Ideally I would like an artsy area, OK for being on foot in daytime, ability to do most errands on foot, wifi or high speed access needs to be a given.  I prefer living in larger buildings with multiple units. I don't have kids so schools not an issue.  Any advice out there?

Thanks in advance

joeeastside

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 08:51:46 PM »
If you are looking for a vibrant neighborhood with the ability to do errands on foot I would highly recommend the shrewsbury st area. Although most of the buildings are 3 three deckers, many are being totally refurbished and converted to condos. My family is originally from that area and it really has been developing of late. It is also a walk to Union Station for Amtrak/commuter rail access

elbow

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 05:33:33 PM »
I second that - the shrewsbury street area is pretty nice to get around mostly by foot.  There is wi-fi access at Cafe Dolce although it isn't really "coffeehouse" enough to be comfortable there - also on the Common.  Now might be a good time to get into a downtown apt. but there could also be a lot of annoying construction (or not) and the actual rooms that I've seen - not so good.  Highland Street area/institute park area is also nice and there are some "loft" projects.  the biscut lofts are expensive.  university lofts near Clark are more affordable.  fremont lofts... a little out of the way.  Green Island area (some parts are pretty dirty) but it is also walkable for the most part, lots of things to do for Worcester...