Author Topic: Thomas J. Finneran  (Read 37543 times)

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
Thomas J. Finneran
« on: February 09, 2011, 07:59:11 AM »
Looking for any Info on Thomas, born Ireland@1855, lived in worcester until 1878 moved to Boston, Married a Annie M. Lyons 1 Aug 1878, daughter of Thomas & Ellen Lyons. Thomas died after 1901. His parents were Peter F. & Catherine Finneran that's all I have .....

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Thomas J. Finneran
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 04:18:51 AM »
5gen- I have  from O'Flynns transcription of stones from St. John's Cemetery
Finneran, Thomas died 1863 Loughmaconnell Roscommon
              John 1804-1864 Roscommon

from search for missing friends  Worcester related
Finneran, James   Cloonecalthry Taughmaconnell Roscommon  these are also related to Boston Finnerans!   Patrick & Cecelia kids Patrick James Andrew Ellen

Does any of this ring a bell?
Do you have his death date?  I can try to look it up.... :)

It appears he had a brother John who married Mary Ann Sweeny in 1875 in Worcester.  He was born c. 1854 in irelandson of Peter & Catherine
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:05:35 AM by merski »

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 07:37:36 AM »
merski,
           I have nothing on Thomas.  I knew he was John's brother as John & Mary are my Great Grandparents! I believe most of the Worcester & some of the Boston Finneran's are related... I am trying to make that connection! John Finneran is the one that Capecodcollen told me was hit by the train in Worcester ..and died .... I had his death as a broken rib! I would love to put these guy's together ... both John and Mary's obit's say that Andrew, Patrick, Thomas and Michael among other Finnerans are related they just do not say how! John died in 1901,  Thomas was still alive then.... That'a all I have other than Thomas married Annnie Lyons,
Thanks Fivegen

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 01:20:50 PM »
So, were they all were Taughmaconnell Roscommon?  Have you tried Genforum for the name Finneran?  There were folks connected to Taughmaconnel named finneran passing info to each other.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 05:04:34 AM »
Are they from Roscommon?  It seems pretty compelling to guess that from what I found...

Just tabulated all of the Fineran deaths in Worcester making note of parents names of any adult Finnerans who were born in Ireland.
Will now do the same for Worcester Marriages since parents are usually given.
There were two pre-famine Finnerans-Hugh and Jane who were born in the 1790's
Since there may have been kin connections when people emigrated into Worcester, there two may have been Uncle and Aunt to all of the young men immigrating there. 

More stuff forthcoming!

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 12:22:34 PM »
John's brother Thomas was a real estate broker in Boston, correct?
His son Thomas A. Finnegan born c.1879 married Agnes Bourke.
He was a civil engineer for the city of Boston.  He also had brothers Fred P. and Francis but I couldn't find out anything about them. 

Found Thomas & Agnes Finneran in the 1930 census.  He is still a civil engineer for the city of Boston  abiding in Boston or West Roxbury
also had kids
Evelyn 22
Thomas B. 18
Pauline C. 16
Edward V. 14
Eleanor 11
Joan 10
Kevin L. 7   Maybe you could do boston city directories to find the boys.   If you want to call and talk, I think we spoke before.  Is your last name O'Leary as I saw something on Genforum with the query about John & Thomas.
Perhaps if you contact the civil engineering dept. of Boston they may have an archive so you can find a death date and burial location to really get you on your way.
Please respond on this board so I know you've seen this.

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 02:19:20 PM »
Thank you ... this is great ... I'll take your advice and do the Boston checks.... I would love to find were they came from and if there are more of them! Thanks again 5gen

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 03:11:22 PM »
Will check on naturalization tomorrow.  It said he was.  Happy to help!

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 03:18:57 AM »
There is a record for Thomas J. Finneran born Ireland 7 Feb. 1856  residence Boston
USCC Boston record 127-14
nat. date 25 Aug 1880

This may or may not be him.  Check with the National Archives in Waltham to see if they hold these boston records...it's only $7.50 to send for one.

His brother John was not naturalized alas!

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 04:15:45 AM »
OMG 5gen!!! Just saw a 19 sept. 2009 post on the messageboards of ancestry.com by pascie1 about your Finnerans..."Roscommon to Boston".buddy you just won the genealogical lottery!!!  There WERE from Roscommon!!!  You have cousins!!!
I left them a message to look at this board.  Do you know anyone with ancestry.com or can you go to the WPL and use their computer?  This person had a pretty terrific family tree but was missing your great grandfather's brother Thomas in Boston.
PLEASE let me know that you've seen this!  If anyone can cut and paste the message into this messageboard for 5gen, you're a better compuer person than I!

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 10:27:29 AM »
Helen, you're the BEST!!!!

unndunn

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 01:46:20 PM »
Hi Merski,
I joined this site after I saw you mention it on the genealogy.com forum for Finnerans.  I'll write more info a little later tonight, but I've been doing a lot of research on my paternal grandmother's family.  Her name was Katherine Ann Finneran and she was born in Coolfree, Taughmaconnell, Roscommon, Ireland in 1903.  She came to Boston in 1922 with her older sister Della to work.  She told me that she came to the Boston area because that's where a lot of people from her village were working.  Later she and her sister moved to the NYC area and ended up marrying and starting their families in Stamford, CT.  I remain in touch with several of my Irish Finneran cousins from Taughmaconnell.  Together we have been working on filling in the blanks for our family tree.  In our family Bible there is a Thomas Finneran who was my grandmother's grandfather and who was listed as a member of the Irish parliament.  Has anyone found any info that might correspond with that bit of info?  I'll post his info later tonight. 
Thanks

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 03:05:54 PM »
Welcome undunn to this board.  Who were Katherine and Della's parents?  Were they listed in the extensive family tree that Helen downloaded?

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 08:03:46 AM »
1850 census in Worcester Mass.  Finnerans born Ireland 1792-1810
1) James b.c. 1805 wife Bridget 2 children Mary b. Ire. & John b. Mass.  (His parents might have been Patrick & Mary (Fallon)

2) Hugh born c. 1792 (wife's name was Jane) Widower Daughters Mary & Margaret both born in Ireland

3) Michael b.c. 1800 wife Mary & two boys Patrick & John both born in Ireland

4) John b.c. 1810 and wife Catherine (Graham?) and son John born in Mass.

Hugh Michael & John all live within a few households of each other which may indicate kin relations brothers or cousins.

This is the older generation for your Great granddad 5gen, these men could have been uncles!

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 03:10:09 PM »
I would like to check their sources .... it would be a great find if it is my family .... I am a little leary (no pun intended) of internet genealogy ... lots of people just grap like names and throw them together .... I have been taught to follow the sources check and double check .... but if it is   ...it is the find of my research life!!!!! :) 5gen