Author Topic: Worcester Shoe Company  (Read 15682 times)

Skypirate

• Just Moved Here
Worcester Shoe Company
« on: October 31, 2010, 03:19:31 PM »
Does anyone remember the Worcester Shoe Company? It was on Hammond St near the bottom of the hill. Closed in 1958 I think. It was my dads business so in my memory it was the most important place in the city. (I was 8 when he went out of business).

MikeWilsonSr

• Just Moved Here
Re: Worcester Shoe Company
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 08:04:25 AM »
I believe I worked there after Worcester Shoe left.  It was on the right hand side before you got to Southbridge St.  When I worked there it was the Melville Shoe Co. warehouse that was the parent company to Thom McAnn, Chessking and CVS.

jim28518

• Been Around Awhile
  • 1966 comet
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:46:54 AM »
44 Hammond Street, "Melville Shoe Building" now called "Worc Business Center".

http://www.worcesterbusinesscenter.com/history.htm
The Worcester Business Center boasts a long history as a landmark of Worcester industry.
Built in 1917 and originally designed for manufacturing, the building was bought and rehabilitated by the Thom McAn shoe corporation in 1965 and served for many years as the company’s headquarters. Until its closure in 1996, the facility housed hundreds of Thom McAn employees dedicated to providing high-quality footwear to people across the country.
In late 1996, when Thom McAn was spun out of the Melville Corporation (now CVS, Inc.), the multi-tenant Worcester Business Center was born. From its early days as a manufacturing facility, the building has been the place for Worcester companies to do business.
Today, with a comprehensive renovation and redevelopment under way, the building developer and tenants are committed to once again making the Center the hub for business in central Massachusetts.

Skypirate

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 01:07:58 PM »
Thanks Mike and Jim for your reply's. Melville Shoe is on the south side of Hammond, uphill from the tracks. The building Worcester Shoe was in is on the north side of the street down hill from the tracks. If you loose your brakes on Canterbury St. you'll drive right into the front door.

I'm very nostalgic when it comes to the old Worcester Shoe Co. and will welcome any info I can get on the company or the building.

Thanks again,

Vaughn

Lindak2

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 11:28:33 AM »
Was it Worcester Shoe or Brown Shoe Co?

Barb Knox

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 03:03:47 PM »
That's what I was wondering, too!  Working at Brown Shoe was a rite of passage for many people

Skypirate

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 01:30:29 PM »
Brown Shoe was around years before Worcester Shoe. In fact my dad had worked there before starting Worcester Shoe with his cousins in the early 50s.  They made combat boots during the Korean war. Later made insulated hunting boots under the name "Royal Worcester".

deacon

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 11:05:13 AM »
brown shoe was home to many highschool dropouts including me for about 3 months till it drove me insane