Author Topic: Looking for info on my ggg-grandmother Ellen (Flavin) Hunt  (Read 16446 times)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Looking for info on my ggg-grandmother Ellen (Flavin) Hunt
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 05:00:55 PM »
Jack, it was otherwise called the poor farm.

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 05:29:38 PM »
thanks;  I kind of thought so!

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 10:27:14 AM »
As I said before, Hunt and Delahanty names may be the same.

Patrick Delahanty of Rutland Mass. (Patrick was the son of John & Margaret
639-Vol.9 yr. 1872  Worcester co. mass.   Worcester Superior Court
Born 3 March 1834  naturalized 30 Oct. 1872

other delahanty naturalizations are few.  Two in Worcester, 1 in Templeton & 1 in Fitchburg

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 09:28:47 PM »
Towns were required to care for those people who "belonged" to the town if they were unable or couldn't afford to care for themselves. (There is expence involved, so if the person wasn't from town they may be "warned out" or even provided w/ transportation to their town of origan.) A town farm (poor farm) was a way of dealing with this responsibility.

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 06:40:53 PM »
Thank you, I am not sure if he was a townie, he lived mostly in the  Cherry Valley area, Worcester, and Rutland, I was suprised to find him in Charlton. He was a farm hand so it is possible he moved around for work. Like I said I find him in 1930 as an inmate on this farm , the next time I find him is five years later in an obituary as follows; CHARLTON, July 1- Timothy Hunt died this afternoon at his home in Charlton. He was the son of the late Daniel and Ellen (Field?) Hunt. A private funeral will be held from the John J. Fay Funeral Home 2 Woodland St. Worcester, Wednesday morning, followed by a high mass of requiem in St. Pauls church, Worcester, at 8 o'clock, Burial will take place in St. John's cemetery, Worcester.   WORCESTER DAILY TELEGRAM   JULY 1,1935  He is buried with his parents, I have the paper work from St John's ... there is no headstone ... he was the last of the children to die. I doubled checked that this weekend. I'll keep hunting .. [no pun intended] Thank you for your input - fivegenirish