Author Topic: Looking for info on my ggg-grandmother Ellen (Flavin) Hunt  (Read 16450 times)

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
Looking for info on my ggg-grandmother Ellen (Flavin) Hunt
« on: July 17, 2010, 01:39:32 PM »
Ellen Flavin daughter of Cornelius Flavin & Mary Lynch born in Ireland @1829, Married Daniel Hunt in Ireland. She died 17 Oct 1901 in Worcester. I was on line on irishgenealogy.ie/church records and found record in County Kerry in Ballylongford of  a Daniel Hunt & an Ellen Flavihan  married in 1846 on 1 of Feb. Her parents are listed as Cornelius & Mary( Lynch) Flavihan. Can anyone tell me if Flavihan is the celtic spelling of Flavin? All the dates and names fit except the spelling of the last names. Dainel died 28 may 1874 in Leicester, Ma.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Looking for info on my ggg-grandmother Ellen (Flavin) Hunt
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 01:24:26 AM »
5gen  I looked on genforum and flavahan and its spelling variations DOES appear to be a legitimate variation of the name Flavin.  This site is a great site to check out this kind of thing....

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 05:15:28 PM »
Thank You again!!!! I will now dig alittle deeper into the County Kerry records ... if this is them (and I think it is) I also found several brothers and sisters of Ellen! Thanks for your help once more ... Jack

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 07:32:25 AM »
Of she was married in kerry, this could be her.  Have you done the work on Daniel Hunt? Was he from kerry? 

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 11:15:48 AM »
All I have on Daniel is that he was born in Ireland ????, not sure when they came to USA , I find him dead at Leciester, Worcester County,  Massachusetts on May 28, 1874~ he is buried in St. John's cemetery sction Seven, Number 105, range 6 .... he died of Pneumonia @ 48 years old.... death record states his father was Daniel Hunt and mother was Maria no last name and like most records of Ireland!
Jack

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 02:29:18 AM »
Have you checked naturalizations?  I'd be happy to check on ancestry for you.  BTW the alternate name is Delahunt 8)

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 10:13:59 AM »
Interesting .... No I have not checked the naturalizations ... I do not have that kind of access to ancestry ... you can only belong to so many thing before you run out of cash :D ! I would very much like it if you could check that out for me .... ;D  Jack

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 11:03:25 AM »
Ok Daniel Hunt born?  emigrated?  Living in leicester?   Please fill in any details...

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 11:46:03 AM »
Daniel was born @1829 in Ireland ?? mabe Kerry/ Cork area.  I found him for the first time in the States in the 1870 fed census listed as a labour age 47,  living in Leicester. Dainel died 28 May 1874 in Leicester, Ma. buried in St J's ....  I looked up Ellen his wife in the 1900 census and it said she emigrated in 1868 ... I woud think they all came over as a family ....  he had two daughters Mary & Margaret,  & three sons Timothy, Corneluis and Daniel. That's about what I have on him, hope it helps. Jack

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 12:25:34 PM »
I saw the 1870 census and if all the kids were born in ireland she would have come in 1858, not 1868.  The trouble with all of us getting older is that dates and years get fuzzier...no offence intended
Didn't see a naturalization for Daniel the father but perhaps the sons became naturalized. Will check into that.

Margaret Married Patrick Naughton I saw
did cornelius marry Mary Burke?
Have you seen the stone to ensure there is no inscription?

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 12:35:33 PM »
No naturalizations seen...sorry.  will look at emigration

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 04:07:41 PM »
Thanks ...  Yes I have seen the stone  those are the dates;   Yes; Margaret married Patrick..   in later records he spelled it Norton ... Yes Corneluis married Mary ... he is listed on his farther-in laws stone ... Richard Burke ....he was part of your St. John's  headstone work[ Section Immortality] .....  Corneluis died on March 14, 1913, the son  Daniel  Joseph on July 13, 1914 (never married), daughter Mary ( my Great grandmother) on July 13, 1914 she married Jeremiah (O)Leary.
Thanks again
Jack

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 02:36:43 AM »
Jack, I couldn't find any naturalizations or passenger lists for them.  Perhaps if you contact Leicester Mass to see who has voter registration records, you might find info on Cornelius or Daniel Jr. to see if any naturalization code is on their record.  Leicester is a relatively small town and they might be user friendly and helpful.  Read the posting I made under naturalization (if you haven't already) to see what I mean.  Email me privately and I'll give you my tel. # and I can advise you.  I speak better than I write!

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 05:01:47 PM »
Okay, will do!  ;)

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 03:06:37 PM »
I found her son Timothy in the 1930 census in Charlton as an inmate at the "Home Farm"? any clue what that might be? would it be like a debtors prison?
Jack