Author Topic: "Sporting Dowds Of Worcester  (Read 4150 times)

dsddowd

• Just Moved Here
"Sporting Dowds Of Worcester
« on: April 14, 2010, 06:13:32 AM »
Hi All,     I am doing research on my husband's family.  I know his gggrandfather was Martin Dowd, born 1797 in Ireland and died in Worcester in 1871.  Martin and his wife, Bridget Fallon had 7 sons:  Thomas, Dominick, Andrew, Michael, Owen, Martin and Patrick and 2 daughters: Catherine (married a Fallon) and Bridget (married a Mullaney).  My husband is a descendant of Michael 1836-1883 who had 8 children:  Patrick, Martin J, Katherine, Owen F, Michael J, Thomas D, and John E.  Thomas Dominick was my husband's grandfather and was known as a great athlete during the 1890s and the early 1900s.  His brother, Patrick was a well known sportswriter.
My questions are:  Where did this family originate in Ireland? and Where is the best place to look for information on sports in Worcester during the gaslight era?
Thanks for any help.                Dianne

Quinsig

• Just Moved Here
Re: "Sporting Dowds Of Worcester
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 07:23:28 AM »
Hi Diane,
I am also searching for O'Dowds of Worcester.  My O'Dowd is Dominick (Born in 1825 died in 1867)who married Mary Henry in 1852, they lived in Hopinton then in Worcester and had many children one of them being my great grandfather John Dowd.  I believe he was from somewhere in Sligo, i am still trying to narrow it down.  I know he came here via boston in 1843 or 44, I can't find the ship logs. 
                                                                  Kathy