Author Topic: M.J. Whittall Rugs  (Read 46833 times)

sactonative

• Just Moved Here
M.J. Whittall Rugs
« on: August 30, 2009, 03:58:46 PM »
I hope someone for the Whitall family can give me a general ideal of the value of a rug that was left to me. My neighbor who passed on was from Worcester and move to CA in the late 1920s and brought the rug with her. I am guessing it was made in the 1920s. The rug was made a M.J. Whittall Associates, Ltd. It is an Anglo-Persian Rug, Modern Chinese Pattern. Pattern # 333; Color 655; Size says it is 9x12 but it measures 10x14; Register # 21917. I saw a smaller rug that looks similar on E-Bay that was still bidding and was already up to $995. Thanks to anyone who can help!

Al Kajin

• Just Moved Here
Re: M.J. Whittall Rugs
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 05:50:07 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
I too am looking for information on a M J Whittall Associates Anglo-Persian rug.
Mine is Pattern 351 Color 164 Register 269119 Size 13-6 X 12 Made in 3-54.
This rug is in very good shape except some noticable wear to the fringe near one corner.
It was bought by my grandmother, along with another one of another size in the mid 50's for her new house. She died in 1960 and the rugs were stored until the 70's when my wife and I used it for a few months in a house we lived in. It was again stored for a few years and was used by my parents for a 5 or 6 years and then stored again until now. We are contemplating tearing out our wall to wall carpet, installing hardwood flooring and putting down Gram's rug. 
With the popularity of Antique Roadshow we wonder what this well made rug would be worth.
It is my hope that Mrs Cicero still has her ancestors records and can give us an educated guess of worth.
I thank you in advance for any help.
Al Kajin
Forsyth Montana

susan c

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:32:59 AM »
I also have 4 M J Whittall rugs which are Anglo-Persian pattern 351, color 58, size 27x54.  They were my grandmother's. She likely purchased them in Columbus, Ohio.
I am curious as to their value.  Hope you can help.

coldrust

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 09:49:38 AM »
Just use the rugs in your living room for a better comfort in the place. First you need to clean it with water and air to dry. The Whittall rugs are very useful and durable. Or, you may sell it on ebay for that carpet is quite older, it is antique.
My TV shows carpet

David K. Martinous

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »
My name is David Martinous. My family has been in the oriental rug business for over 80 years. I'm married to Cynthia McCorkindale who's great-grandfather was the brother to Gertrud Clark Whittall. We have a few of the Whittall rugs in our home. They were considered one of the best if not the best wilton rugs ever made. Ellen if you are able to contact us please do so. Cynthia or I would love to hear from you.

Judy Griffin

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 06:46:22 AM »
I am seeking information regarding pricing and buyers for two Whittall Anglo Persian-Wilton rugs - Pattern 333 Color 655 - one is 9' X 12' register 263905 and the other is 11' X 19' register 221130.  Any information will be appreciated.

ccmonk@comcast.net

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 02:40:26 PM »
Hi David,

I am looking for information on my 2 Whittall Rugs - they were at my Grandparents farm from 1930 - 2000.  One is 9x12 and the othere is 11 x 21.  They are gorgeous.  I have no intentions of selling them, just information on the company and possible the year they were made.  They are color: 333 pattern: 263 Register # 167717 (thats the registration on the smaller one).  It's funny that I can not find any information on the internet about the company.  I wouldn't mind knowing the value, then I know whether the kids are allowed on the carpet or not (just kidding).  Any information would be great.

Christine (Washington State)

unique

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »
I have just recently come into possession of a 9x12 rug with a label from M. J. Whittal Associates, Ltd., pattern 325, register #3346. Wondering if anyone can give me any information on it-age, value, etc.

pffarmer

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 09:02:25 AM »
I, too, am looking for information on a Whittall Anglo-Persian rug.  The numbers on the back of the rug are: 
100 35 4, and the next line is 1 38. 

The rug is about 9x12, the background is dark steely blue, and the pattern looks like it was inspired by a Chinese moongate.  The colors in the pattern are rust, acid green, two shades of antique gold, and a lighter grayish blue.  I am guessing that the colors would be incredible with Mission-style oak.

My neighbors gave me this rug back in the mid-1980's -- they were in their late '90's.  They told me they bought the rug specifically for their bedroom.  Now, whether this meant for their first apartment when they married (probably just after WWI) or when they moved into this building which went up in 1941 (their retirement home), I don't know.

Thank you so much for any information you can give me about this pattern.

Sincerely,

Phyllis Fay Farmer

David K. Martinous

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 03:00:25 PM »
Phyliss, what is the condition of the rug? That will have a lot to do about the value of the rug. If it's in mink condition it could be worth a good amount of money. I have seen a Sarouk pattern in mink condition with a value of $ 5,000.00. Check with Shanybrook. They have a web site. Good luck, David K. Martinous.

Sharon Dyer

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 07:54:12 AM »
I just inherited a 9 x 12 Whittall Anglo-Persian Wilton, Pattern 325, color 14, register 221821 rug.  We need more information on this, as well as an insurance, if necessary, price.  Thanks.

Doug Leary

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 08:48:33 AM »
It turns out that these Whittall Anglo-Persian rugs aren't significantly valuable. They are 100% machine-made rugs turned out by an American company, using carefully chosen names, patterns and colors, and in some cases imprinted with numbers that (happen to?) look like 19th-century dates. For more info, see this article on Yahoo:

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/rug-fanatics/conversations/topics/267

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 08:52:01 AM by Doug Leary »

Steve chapman

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 12:16:04 PM »
Hi
I am appealing for help trying to find information on isaiah whittall who left England in 1904 to work for m.j.whittall in their New York offices in broadway yonkers New York, my search runs cold in 1910, any info on isaiah whittall or his link with Matthew j whittall would be appreciated, isaiah was my great grandfather and quite the black sheep of the family lol, please help

Steve chapman

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 12:40:36 PM »
I can add usually there isn't a great deal of value in the whittall rugs, these rugs were machined made and he produced over a million a year in its hey day, although they were considered to be the best rugs out there, the value in rugs today is usually for hand made ones.