Author Topic: Worcester public schools  (Read 10351 times)

mike higgins

• Just Moved Here
Worcester public schools
« on: April 28, 2009, 08:03:53 AM »
My family; the Higgins' provided Worcester with some teachers both before and after the turn of the 20th century.  Does anyone have information on Thomas J. Higgins, principal of Canterbury St. school from about 1905 to 1930?  Helen J. Higgins who taught at Bloomingdale school?  Mary E. Higgins who taught at Lamartine.
I know there are some teachers out there or spouses of teachers, if there is some info available, I'd appreciate whatever you can provide.

Thanks
Mike

Starr

• Just Moved Here
Re: Worcester public schools
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:43:56 PM »
Hi Mike,

I can't be of any help with the information you seek, but I did attend Lamartine St. School in the late 40's. I just haven't heard any information on this school and was surprised to see it mentioned. I left MA in the 50's. Have you heard of Ledge St. School? I think that's the way it was spelled. I also lived in Millbury for a few years. I know that has changed by checking out Google maps.

Starr

mike higgins

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 07:45:36 AM »
Hi Starr:
Thanks so much for your response.  Long story short, I left New England as a kid and have never been back.  Dad was from Worcester and never spoke much about his side of the family.  I'm way into my senior years and want my grandkids to know about my side of the family and ancestry.com has been my source, as well as all of these wonderful folks at worcestertalk.

The reference to Lamartine and the other schools, I obtained through the worcester city directories at ancestry.com and their accuracy I cannot vouch for.  But I was hoping that someone with more info could turn me on to a source where I might find more details; photos, awards, etc.  Again, many thanks for your input.

RobinPearson

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 07:31:00 AM »
I'm from later. I went to Midland St. School in the 1950s.

I remember the Higgins Museum (never went in there) but it was about (battle) armor, as well as I can recall. Sounds like a Higgins family heritage establishment.