Author Topic: Greenhill Park  (Read 7224 times)

Deerhawk

• Just Moved Here
Greenhill Park
« on: April 04, 2009, 07:40:19 PM »
Lets see......
Did you ever spend time here? I mean before the petting zoo, when they had just the Bison?
Did you ever go for a picnic on a Sunday afternoon with your folks, and stay untill after sunset?
How many went on 4th of July to watch the fireworks?...when it was just Lincoln St
No 290.....
Did you go in the winter after a good snow, to toboggan... or ski when they set up the rope tow?
Ever spend a lazy July afternoon taking a nap under one of the big trees next to the pond?

Give it up.....
No Borders...No Compromise!

susan

• Just Moved Here
Re: Greenhill Park
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:12:10 AM »
Lets see......
Did you ever spend time here? I mean before the petting zoo, when they had just the Bison?
Did you ever go for a picnic on a Sunday afternoon with your folks, and stay untill after sunset?
How many went on 4th of July to watch the fireworks?...when it was just Lincoln St
No 290.....
Did you go in the winter after a good snow, to toboggan... or ski when they set up the rope tow?
Ever spend a lazy July afternoon taking a nap under one of the big trees next to the pond?

Give it up.....

Sure, Deerhawk, we went to the fireworks, too. Thanks for reminding me.

Joshua

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 04:06:35 PM »
We used to go to the pond up there and feed the ducks and the giant carp would get the bread before the ducks.
Yeah wasn't there 2 Bison?  My family used to have family cookouts up there also. 

Then we use to watch the fireworks on Lincoln St. and there was some of pubic swimming pool there which was replaced with 290. 

pajkaki

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 07:04:59 PM »
     Lots of good memories of Greenhill Park.  When I was a little kid I'd walk up Lincoln St, then up Greenhill Parkway, either alone or with my pals.  This would have been in the early fifties.  I'd bring my lunch (Mom would pack Peanut butter and Jelly or Bologna).  We'd play on the playground, swings slides etc.  Then go feed the carp scraps from lunch.

When I used to go there, there were several kinds of animals in addition to the Bison, some sort of deer as I recall and others too, all penned up together.

Across from the carp pond there was sort of a wooded area where we'd go to pick blueberries every spring....I usually got home with enough for Mom to bake a pie.

At the other end of the park near the golf course there was a swimming pond I went to almost every day in the summer.  We'd ride our bikes up Lincoln St., past Brittain Square almost as far as where Lincoln Plaza was later sited.  We'd either swim or lay on the grass around the swimming hole.

Later as I got older I would caddy at the golf course.

Like I said, lots of good memories of Green Hill Park