Author Topic: Bowler Brothers Brewery  (Read 14389 times)

John

Bowler Brothers Brewery
« on: February 07, 2002, 04:32:31 AM »
We are looking for information on the Bowler Brothers Brewery in Worcester Massachusetts...  We have a bottle and are curious as to the history and value of the bottle.... Look forward to your response......  Thank you

Charles Sparrell

Re: Bowler Brothers Brewery
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2002, 09:10:28 PM »
My great-grandfather, Herbert K. Sparrell was Vice President and Sales Manager for Bowler Brothers Brewery.

The Bowler Brothers came over from England with a knowledge of brewing but not of selling in America. H.K. Sparrell was a Worcester saloon keeper who joined them in the early 1880's and made their business a financial success. Their best known producr was "Tadcaster Ale"

In the mid 1800's brewing was a local business. The brew was poured into a wooden keg and the fill hole was sealed by driving in a wooden bung. The kegs were delivered to local saloons by horse-drawn wagons. Lack of refrigeration and pasturization caused the beer to go stale in a short time. To get beer for home consumption, you would take a metal can called a "growler" down to the nearest saloon. Picking up a supply for the evening was known as "rushing the growler".

The modern process for capping bottles containing carbonated beverages was introduced in 1892. Bowler Brothers immediately adopted the process and as a result, they were able to market their beer throughout New England. They became one of the largest brewing companies in New England.

The sale of alcohlic beverages was outlawed by the Volstead Act in 1918. The Bowler Brothers were old and rich by then. They just closed the doors and went out of business.

I have a Bowler Brothers bottle. I don't think they are particularly rare or valuable.

timcoyle50

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 06:41:12 PM »
In 1984 I pu;;ed up the wood flooring in the celler and U swear who ever put it down must have nailed a board had a bear. I found about 25 bottles from Bowlers

black18

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 11:44:53 PM »
I think if we need to  get beer for home consumption, you would take a metal can called a "growler" down to the nearest saloon.