Author Topic: Mayor David F. O'Connell (Mayor of Worcester ~ 1913)  (Read 18964 times)

MEF2008

• Just Moved Here
Mayor David F. O'Connell (Mayor of Worcester ~ 1913)
« on: April 06, 2008, 07:47:04 AM »
Looking for any information on David F. O'Connell, attorney  (b. 1858 Fermoy, County Cork, Ireland), son of Patrick & Margaret (O'Callaghan) O'Connell.  He was Mayor of Worcester around 1913, died 1923 & buried in St. John's Cemetery.  Looking for historical records, pictures, etc. He also had a Law Practice with John. E. Sullivan (firm name:  Sullivan & O'Connell). His sons were David F. Jr., and James S.  Thank you.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Mayor David F. O'Connell (Mayor of Worcester ~ 1913)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 08:45:47 AM »
Have you been to the Worcester Public Library yet?  Worcester Historical Museum?  Do you live within driving distance of Worcester...there's surely a plethora of imformation at both places.  Wasn't he supposedly a descendant of the famous Daniel O'Connell of ireland?

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 09:30:04 AM »
I looked up the other listing Daniel O'Connell (well liked by O'Flynn)  died 3 April 1878  was a lawyer and related to Daniel O'Connell
maybe he's a relative.

MEF2008

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 05:38:24 PM »
Have you been to the Worcester Public Library yet?  Worcester Historical Museum?  Do you live within driving distance of Worcester...there's surely a plethora of imformation at both places.  Wasn't he supposedly a descendant of the famous Daniel O'Connell of ireland?
Hi there. Thanks for the reply. I've been to Worc. Pub. Library very frequently (live in Waltham, so it's not as often as it could be), but I'm sure there are resources there I have not explored yet. I've been so involved with family-specific things, such as dates of death, children's names, etc....I should look specifically for People in Public Office for Worcester...I didn't even think of that. I have not yet been to the Historical Museum either, so that is a great suggestion! That will be a destination very soon.  As for being related to Daniel O'Connell - I'd like to think they were related (since that would mean I too am related), but I have not found that connection just yet.  Thank you!

MEF2008

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 05:39:51 PM »
Try genealogybank.com there are 6 articles, one looks like a marriage. If you want the facts on that let me know. WPL has all those editions of the SPY if you live nearby. Good luck,Helen.

Hi there. Thanks for that suggestion! I will def. look up genealogybank.com and let you know what I find.  Thank you.

dan0793

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 03:14:12 PM »
He was my great grandfather.  I am one of 6 children who's father is also David F. O'Connell

MEF2008

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 05:53:36 PM »
He was my great grandfather.  I am one of 6 children who's father is also David F. O'Connell

I'm so happy to see this reply - Yay! I found a relative! His sister (Ellen) was my great grandmother. Would love to get any info you're willing to share. I have pics of Ellen & her children and some info from the family. I was fascinated to learn about David and he looks so much like my grandfather (saw obit in Worcester Telegram archives). I have more to say but am rushed. Have you done much research or are you just beginning?  Thanks for the reply. ~Margaret

P.S. I just read Merski's reply from April 2008. I've wondered about any connection to the famous Daniel O'Connell of Ireland, but haven't researched that yet.

dan0793

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 06:22:11 PM »
Oh, I have lots of info, in fact my cousin, who's mother was Ellen O'Connell, has done extensive research.   Will gladly share..

MEF2008

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 06:42:29 PM »
Your cousin, whose mother was Ellen (O'Connell) McDonald...that would've been my mom's Aunt then...that whole generation must be long gone though, right?  My grandfather was her first born (1873), and he died in 1945. I thought her last child was born late 1800's.  But thanks so much! I can't wait to get more into this. I have been to Fermoy recently too, to see where they came from. It was wonderful. How do we chat just between us? I haven't used this board since April '08 apparently - ha ha. Looking forward to continuing. Thanks, Margaret

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 01:56:25 AM »
There may be a write up and even a photograph in Nutt's History of Worcester.  Check your library's online catalogue to see if a library near watham owns it. Some libraries have great historical reference rooms.  I am almost certain that O'Flynn said he was related to the famous O'Connell!  Isn't this board exciting!  I LOVE the connections that it provides.

MEF2008

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 05:12:15 AM »
I will look into that for sure. How cool! Thanks, Merski.
Yeah, it's a great way to get info and now I've located a cousin :)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 06:11:56 AM »
Nutt's history is interesting in that it has the 1860 irish census (at least names & ages) and has them listed by wards.  I don't know exactly how it was done but powerful people in worcester had full (sometimes 2 pages) biographies and even excellent photographs...don't know if they paid for them.  I'll check to see if David O'connell is in there.  It would be crazy if he weren't!  Other large bios which also include genealogical info in an informal way for other irish born worcesterites in the early 20th century.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 12:29:23 PM »
Bingo!  He's in there with a photo.  Not a humongous write up.Bring your digital camera with you because it would give you a better image than a photocopy.

MEF2008

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 06:01:11 AM »
That's awesome! Thanks so much for checking. Now I'm anxious to get to the Library. Wonder if it's his obit photo or another one...Thanks for checking, Merski!

conor3245

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 11:46:44 AM »
I am his great grandson. I have a few pictures of him from 1910 with President Taft.