Author Topic: About those old obits.....or thinking outside of the box...  (Read 3804 times)

whichzelda

• Just Moved Here
About those old obits.....or thinking outside of the box...
« on: February 20, 2008, 04:30:54 AM »
Had to look up some old obits from 1911 yesterday.  Was hoping to get some leads as to where my Irish came from....instead, was dismayed to see how little information was there.  The parents of and children of were not mentioned.  But then I looked at the bearers and who sent flowers.  I see my great grandmother's married name there as well as two cousins who acted as bearers and one brother in law of my great great aunt.  As to the other names mentioned, I guess I will just track them down and find out if they are more "missing" relatives. So, if you run into a brick wall with your research, take a look at those old obits again....you never know where those names will lead.

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
Re: About those old obits.....or thinking outside of the box...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 07:32:38 AM »
  I also -since I am not able to go to the WPL as often as I use to- make sure I get alot of the page for further reference. Believe it or not it has helped in several cases.

Pall bearers are often relatives although sometimes with little information it is hard to chase. If one newspaper source is not very helpful-sometimes, especially before 1930, a second one may help.

I have sometimes the floral inscriptions may provide a clue. I also find that if the deceased is really old and had little family there is virtually no information in the obit or bare bones. I am finding that particularly frustrating because I think there may be another family member of the Maroneys in Worcester but I can't make the connection. Also another Beaulac, Pierre, who may be a brother but the obits gave virtually no information to help out.