Author Topic: Where are all my old friends?  (Read 8534 times)

pajkaki

• Just Moved Here
Where are all my old friends?
« on: February 14, 2008, 05:40:24 PM »
I grew up in the late forties and early fifties off Lincoln St. (I actually lived on Frederick St.).  I went to grade school at Harlow St. School from '46 to '52.  After which I was in the first class at Burncoat Jr. High (yes friends, it was a Jr. high before it was a high school...imagine that!).  Those dates will tell you how old I am  (66 at last birthday). 

My problem is I don't hear from many of my contemporaries because we grew up before the computer age and many aren't computer literate (or maybe they're all dead, who knows?).  I have worked with computers since the early '60s.  My whole working life has been in the accounting field (I'm now retired) so I stayed familiar with them my entire career.

Many of us went to St. Bernards Church where we saw the rec center built in the early fifties.  I remember going to Saturday dances there and seeing my first (what we now call) "disco ball".

I'd love to hear from anyone in that area of town that still remembers those days...or maybe, I could hear from your grandchildren?

I live in Ohio (near Columbus) now but remember fondly growing up in Worcester in the fifties.  I graduated from Commerce in '59 and went in the Air Force the same year...but that's another story.

Well it's been several weeks and plenty of views but no replies???  I'm wondering if I listed some names, maybe one or two will "Google" their own name and thereby come across this posting...pretty cute, huh!  Any way, I went to school with a bunch of guys and gals who lived around Harlow St. school including Bryan Benway; James Hjelm; Jimmy Hester; Helen Coffee (who lived in the three-decker immediately adjacent to the school ground on the Paine St. side); Stanley Skola; Bobby McCauley; John Donnelly; Francis Donnelly (whose arm I broke playing Red Rover one recess); Carol LaCour :osiere; and of course Nick Gage (now a famous author who joined the class in the sixth grade, fresh from Greece); Richard Joubert and that's all I can remember right now.  I f you see your name here (or your parents or grandparents), please let me hear from you.

Even better if you happen to remember me by name...Paul Johnson
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 06:35:19 PM by pajkaki »

Geri Germain

Re: Where are all my old friends?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 06:40:49 PM »
I grew up in the late forties and early fifties off Lincoln St. (I actually lived on Frederick St.).  I went to grade school at Harlow St. School from '46 to '52.  After which I was in the first class at Burncoat Jr. High (yes friends, it was a Jr. high before it was a high school...imagine that!).  Those dates will tell you how old I am  (66 at last birthday). 

My problem is I don't hear from many of my contemporaries because we grew up before the computer age and many aren't computer literate (or maybe they're all dead, who knows?).  I have worked with computers since the early '60s.  My whole working life has been in the accounting field (I'm now retired) so I stayed familiar with them my entire career.

Many of us went to St. Bernards Church where we saw the rec center built in the early fifties.  I remember going to Saturday dances there and seeing my first (what we now call) "disco ball".

I'd love to hear from anyone in that area of town that still remembers those days...or maybe, I could hear from your grandchildren?

I live in Ohio (near Columbus) now but remember fondly growing up in Worcester in the fifties.  I graduated from Commerce in '59 and went in the Air Force the same year...but that's another story.

Well it's been several weeks and plenty of views but no replies???  I'm wondering if I listed some names, maybe one or two will "Google" their own name and thereby come across this posting...pretty cute, huh!  Any way, I went to school with a bunch of guys and gals who lived around Harlow St. school including Bryan Benway; James Hjelm; Jimmy Hester; Helen Coffee (who lived in the three-decker immediately adjacent to the school ground on the Paine St. side); Stanley Skola; Bobby McCauley; John Donnelly; Francis Donnelly (whose arm I broke playing Red Rover one recess); Carol LaCour :osiere; and of course Nick Gage (now a famous author who joined the class in the sixth grade, fresh from Greece); Richard Joubert and that's all I can remember right now.  I f you see your name here (or your parents or grandparents), please let me hear from you.

Geri Germain

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 06:51:32 PM »

HI- I am actually looking for my birth father- he lived in around Worcester in 1966-67. I was born 4/17/67 in holyoke, ma. My birth mother was Doris Gosselin. Today I just found out my birth father's last name is Johnson. I do not have his first name yet- I am working on it. Please contact me if you have any idea if you may be my relative! 413-374-3382 cell   

pajkaki

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 07:34:51 PM »

Hi Geri; Thanks for writing, I can assure you I am not your birth father (I have never lived in [or visited] Holyoke), nor do I think I am related to you.  No one on the Johnson side of my family knows anyone named Gosselin.  Additionally, I was a long way from Worcester in 1966-67 (I lived in Texas at that time).  You might be interested to know that Johnson is the second most common surname in the US after Smith.  Sorry, but its not me.  Paul

HI- I am actually looking for my birth father- he lived in around Worcester in 1966-67. I was born 4/17/67 in holyoke, ma. My birth mother was Doris Gosselin. Today I just found out my birth father's last name is Johnson. I do not have his first name yet- I am working on it. Please contact me if you have any idea if you may be my relative! 413-374-3382 cell   

Michelle

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 02:58:09 PM »
Hi my name is Michelle. I did not grow up in or around your area but I found a class ring with Burncoat Jr High 1957 and the initials RCJ.  I am determined to get it back to the rightful owner.  I was hurt when my class ring disappeared many years ago and it seems a 50 year old ring would mean something to its rightful owner. Please respond if you have any ideas.  Thank you.